New Album Thread

RebelMe

40 minutes ago, Mateusz Klimecki said:

I think that she recorded too much good songs for RH, so it was too hard to pick, that's why it has so many. For example what to pick - Ghosttown or Heartbreak City? Both pretty good. I have nothing against MDNA - but musically it's sounds like Madge had a borderline crisis, she wanted be alternative and pop and the same time.

Nah, only 12 or 13 are actually good songs, the rest are all fillers or even bad songs 

1 hour ago, Mateusz Klimecki said:

I love 95% of them :) I don't like S.E.X and cant remember what else.

I don't particularly like "S.E.X." either. Even the title is super REDUCTIVE. In fact, I think "Holy Water" works way better in terms of its innuendos and overall sensuality. 

When it comes to Rebel Heart, it's pretty obvious that not only did the hacker change her plans, but let's be honest, things were a bit messy anyway... The amount of producers and songwriters was inevitably going to lead to a somewhat choppy and overloaded project. Don't get me wrong, even if the album is a bit all over the place in terms of styles and production, I do think it RH is one of Madonna's finest pop records. Melodically and musically, she delivered some of her most accessible songs; the fact that songs like "Ghosttown" were grossly ignored by the public and DJs at the time, to me, did show the degree of ageism, dislike and cynicism towards M and her work. Criminal. That song, if recorded by a younger pop artist, would've blown the radio at he time. 

Now, back to the topic of a new album, I question what musical direction she could take at this point. Her last 3 albums, together, explored so many different genres and styles that I do wonder what would inspire/motivate her these days. It's interesting that she's always said to like artists like Nina Simone and Billie Holiday, yet, that blues-jazz sensibility seems to still be absent in her musical experimentations. Would be nice to get something more intimate like that at this point of her career. She could even mix it up with something trendier and modern too. She revels in fusing and mixing styles, after all, and she's darn good at it!

1 hour ago, madfan13_86 said:

When it comes to Rebel Heart, it's pretty obvious that not only did the hacker change her plans, but let's be honest, things were a bit messy anyway... The amount of producers and songwriters was inevitably going to lead to a somewhat choppy and overloaded project. Don't get me wrong, even if the album is a bit all over the place in terms of styles and production, I do think it RH is one of Madonna's finest pop records. Melodically and musically, she delivered some of her most accessible songs; the fact that songs like "Ghosttown" were grossly ignored by the public and DJs at the time, to me, did show the degree of ageism, dislike and cynicism towards M and her work. Criminal. That song, if recorded by a younger pop artist, would've blown the radio at he time. 

I sooo agree! Only a few songs are bad, like SEX, some are badly produced, but there is a great work behind all this and many songs deserved to be heard!

Guest Nobody Knows Me

I love the demo's of Rebel Heart and Wash All Over Me so much. They definitely had the material there to make a solid and consistent album but sadly it just ended up being the complete opposite. That said, it's still my favourite album of hers since Confessions on a Dance Floor.

1 hour ago, Nobody Knows Me said:

I love the demo's of Rebel Heart and Wash All Over Me so much. They definitely had the material there to make a solid and consistent album but sadly it just ended up being the complete opposite. That said, it's still my favourite album of hers since Confessions on a Dance Floor.

I understand people’s love for the Avicii demos—they’re absolute early 2010s EDM bangers. But honestly, they sound very Avicii and not very Madonna... It makes sense to me why the album versions are what they are. They definitely have more of the Madonna touch/sensibility, if you know what I mean. 

1 hour ago, Enrico said:

I sooo agree! Only a few songs are bad, like SEX, some are badly produced, but there is a great work behind all this and many songs deserved to be heard!

I JUST watched this yesterday and was going to post! I haven't listened to RH in some time. Not because I dislike it, I just haven't. Watching him react is amazing. Got me listening to both versions again during my workout playlist. Check out his Confessions Tour reaction. When the disco ball opens ?

I feel like Madonna albums used to have obvious stellar singles and then a collection a really excellent songs that could grow and exists in the freedoms of music that singles don’t always allow for... and usually one under par track sometimes but rarely two. 
In the last decade it’s like the obvious singles have faded away and we’re left with a body of work that has some brilliantly creative stuff and some strong ideas but the melodies, hooks and commercial gusto have been missing. 
I think maybe only Lovespent and Rebel Heart demo fit into that strong confident first single template she used to run with.
Ghosttown is very strong too but it’s not quite quintessentially Madonna enough to sit alongside some of her superior ballads.  It’s very much in the Ill Remember, Take A Bow public pleasing curated field.

LoveSpent and Rebel Heart demo have that Madonna energy. 

Medellin Crave and God Control are brilliant but again they are slightly too experimental to hit between the eyes. There’s something slightly missing or just too much in all of them.

For all their fault Warner had the hit ear that chose her singles pretty much perfectly for 25 years. 

How I said i don't like S.E.X (it's reductive and should be rejected). Looking at tracklist... I don't care about Joan Of Arc (but it's not bad), the same thing with Hold Tight, I prefer Rebel Heart demo and I don't like the whole superdeluxe except of Addicted. So i don't like 4 and i don't care about 3 of 24 tracks in total. And there's for sure a couple unrelesed songs that i like (Two Steps Behind Me and I don't remember because i didn't listening to this album so long) so i could easily replace the bad positions from tracklist.

I think that she tried to please a bigger group of people so that's why the tracklist is a mess. If she cut the album into 14 standard and 17 tracks for deluxe in total - that could be great album, for sure the best since Confessions. But it's good anyway for sure better than MDNA and HC, but for sure i prefer Madame X.

Okay I can't replace all of 7 songs. I looked what leaked from unreleased. So i like only TSBM :) So I would reject S.e.x and 3 songs from superdeluxe (leaving Addicted) and put TSBM :)

And I do really like Queen instrumental, maybe if the lyrics would like to be less obvious...

Edited by Mateusz Klimecki (see edit history)

2 hours ago, steady75 said:

It’s badly mastered but the energy of the song still manages to come through. Imagine if it was mastered properly. Also she must have seen something in it early on for it to be the only other track released with an acoustic version 

I like to imagine this song never happened. That constant upper register singing...whoever had that idea...

head no GIF by mushroommovie
There are tons of better Madonna songs. And it‘s not Falling Free or I Fucked Up either.

48 minutes ago, Jakey said:

Does Chromatica have any worthwhile demos? 

There’s on 3.5 demos leaked so far:

- Stupid Love (Sounds pretty much the same)

- Rain on Me (Solo version has different beat and stuff)

- Free Woman ( Very different. Some additional lyrics. More 90s sounding)

- Babylon (Haus Labs Mix, only like 30 seconds have leaked I believe. Just a different production the song from one of her makeup commercials. Fans really want this released)

23 hours ago, rlittler81 said:

Rebel Heart is the album I go back to most out of her post-Warners albums.

Rebel Heart, Madame X, Music and Confessions are albums I listen to in full. The others I rarely do especially the earlier albums. I don’t find them satisfying to listen to in whole like those four. 

On 1/26/2021 at 5:26 PM, madfan13_86 said:

I understand people’s love for the Avicii demos—they’re absolute early 2010s EDM bangers. But honestly, they sound very Avicii and not very Madonna... It makes sense to me why the album versions are what they are. They definitely have more of the Madonna touch/sensibility, if you know what I mean. 

This.

Devil Pray was Madonna trying to recreate Avicii's hit songs. At least there was some uniqueness on the album version.

HC, MDNA and RH were eras where Madonna was late to the party. Timbaland, EDM and Avicii's EDM with folk elements.

People are delusional to think that things could have been different if RH was closer to demo versions. Not only she wouldn't have a hit, but most of the demos (especially outtakes like Never Let You Go)  were generic and basic af. 

57 minutes ago, Justice said:

This.

Devil Pray was Madonna trying to recreate Avicii's hit songs. At least there was some uniqueness on the album version.

HC, MDNA and RH were eras where Madonna was late to the party. Timbaland, EDM and Avicii's EDM with folk elements.

People are delusional to think that things could have been different if RH was closer to demo versions. Not only she wouldn't have a hit, but most of the demos (especially outtakes like Never Let You Go)  were generic and basic af. 

This. Amen. I’m thankful for all three albums but she was late to the game on all three and the demos are not that amazing. I wish she revamped some of the outtakes like she did in Madame X but that’s all. 

1 hour ago, Let'sGetUnconsciousHoney said:

I have, worst album of Gaga's career. Thank u, next

Not to get too side tracked but Lady Gaga puts a lot of energy and creativity into her albums but I just don’t find her albums to be strong bodies of work. She has some great singles and even deep cuts here and there. Chromatica was a great idea but when she talks about it in her interludes in the Spotify playlist or interviews... it’s just vague. One could say the same with Madame X though??‍♂️