New Album Thread

RebelMe

54 minutes ago, Blue Prince said:

I'm concerned that, by the time she makes that new record, all this current disco frenzy will be over and fans will complain that she has been late at the trend once again. 

I trust her as of late with making some fresh sounding tunes and I'm sure she'll do the same with the next album, as long as she doesn't overproduce herself again.

Oh definitely. No disco! She's late. She should start her own trend or find a new sound. 

Disco is suuuuch a varied genre though. Its not all 7th and 9th chords and double handclaps. She’s really only dabbled in disco in many ways as her 80’s stuff was pop rock and post disco.

Deeper & Deeper, God Control. 
Most of Confessions is actually french house based with a few choice disco nods to The Jackson’s, Donna Summer and ABBA. The imagery was pure disco but the sound? French house which obviously borrows a lot from the most obvious disco sound.

A big Motown disco orchestral Northern Soul sound.

An Italo disco record with the Pet Shop Boys

I’d also love a late 80’s Chicago acid house inspired record from her. She never really went down the smiley house route. 

6 minutes ago, deathproof said:

1809715191_ScreenShot2019-05-12at11_34_15PM.thumb.png.8d284aa3fdcefd8d8df51499acca811b.png

He mixed "Crave" and "God Control" reports there. But no false information, just mixed information.

"God Control" was probably going to be the 2nd single at some point, remember "Crave" was a last, last minute thing she took from the first demos and reworked for the album. It's not even mentioned on the Madame X official documentary.

At some point, before the "Medellín" release, there were rumours about a double lead single at the same time for different markets: a Latin single and a Disco single - I guess "Medellín" and "God Control".

3 minutes ago, Prayer said:

He mixed "Crave" and "God Control" reports there. But no false information, just mixed information.

"God Control" was probably going to be the 2nd single at some point, remember "Crave" was a last, last minute thing she took from the first demos and reworked for the album. It's not even mentioned on the Madame X official documentary.

God Control wasn't performed at Eurovision. It wasn't produced by Mirwais.

It was always planned to be performed at Pride and the video premiere around that time.

19 minutes ago, deathproof said:

God Control wasn't performed at Eurovision. It wasn't produced by Mirwais.

It was always planned to be performed at Pride and the video premiere around that time.

"God Control" is produced by Mirwais. "Crave is a dance track, produced by Mirwais" is clearly talking about "God Control". The video in LA with the drag queens is "God Control", members from RuPaul's Drag Race (in the video) were the ones to give the first details about the shooting, before even the release of "Medellín". That's why I think he was mixing correct information from two songs, "God Control" and "Crave" into one big incorrect rumour.

"God Control" wasn't performed on Eurovision but I clearly remember the rumours about them asking her not to do a political performance and forcing to change the song. Of course nothing is confirmed.

"Crave" as the 2nd single was a last minute decision cause Interscope or whoever told her it would world well on US adult radio. It did and according to Wikipedia:

"Crave" became Madonna's highest debut on Billboard's Adult Contemporary chart, debuting at number 19, for the issue dated June 8, 2019. It became her 37th entry on the chart and her 2nd appearance in the 2010s decade after "Ghosttown" (2015). The next week, the song climbed four places to number 15, becoming the "most added" song of the week. The song then climbed to its peak of 11, becoming Madonna's largest hit on the Adult Contemporary chart since "Frozen" (1998). The song also reached a peak of number 34 on the Adult Pop Songs chart, becoming her 21st entry on the chart and her largest hit on it since "Give Me All Your Luvin'" (2012).

Then she rushed to shoot a music video for "Crave" in May. The "God Control" video was shot in March, right?

I don't know, just trying to explain all the dates. :)

14 minutes ago, deathproof said:

She did do a political performance in Eurovision....

I get your point and I actually think too she did a very brave peformance there (delivering a powerful message instead of the easiest thing to do: the usual celebration with "Vogue", "Like A Prayer", etc.), but more than a political performance I think she made an stament with the "Dark Ballet" interlude and the flags in the end. The day after, the controversy was all about her vocals, not the performance - but different ways to see it, I guess.

In my opinion, this fits better the Eurovision "controversial and political" first rumours:

No wonder Eurovision would have never allowed that.

3 hours ago, deathproof said:

1809715191_ScreenShot2019-05-12at11_34_15PM.thumb.png.8d284aa3fdcefd8d8df51499acca811b.png

I lnow you probably won't believe it andi understand cause that seems very confusing but those info actually does not come from THAT insider pn pop justice. Those info came later, around the the time the album was about yo be released. The reliable insider stopped giving info a while before and then some other people started to take themselves for insiser and spread rumors but i can assire uou those tidibits had nothing to do with the insiser we're talking about.

3 hours ago, Prayer said:

At some point, before the "Medellín" release, there were rumours about a double lead single at the same time for different markets: a Latin single and a Disco single - I guess "Medellín" and "God Control".

Probably but those tidibits absolutely do not come from the insider we're talking about. 

I think the direction would depend on whether it will coincide with the movie or be a stand alone album that comes first if the movie is delayed.  If it coincides with the movie it might be more mainstream to appeal to a wider audience, and maybe have an 80s influence. 
That insider at pop justice said it was something unexpected that she hadn’t done before, so that would sort of rule out a disco sound. 

Can we really trust that the same woman who doesn't record a single note without posting about it, now has a whole new album getting ready for release? Sounds really implausible. I think the only times she's been silent about something is featurings in other people's songs and live performance preparations.

I believe that when she does make any new song, there will be no insider needed and everyone will know.

On 5/12/2021 at 10:17 AM, steady75 said:

Pre-Madonna lo-fi but with some Hip-Hop influences could be a really cool genre. A full circle moment before the biopic. 

I would love her to do a Blondie style, Lower East Side, Downtown-81 type of record.

You're right about disco being a broad catch-all term, one which is largely associated with "basic bops". Now j'adore a basic bop at the best of times, but it's not what I want from her at this point. I can barely listen to Confessions any more (except Get Together). 

Whatever she does, I'll enjoy it as long as she stays away from kindergarten lyric rhyming and distorted noise.

So, boppable but not basic. Interesting but not weird. 

On 5/13/2021 at 4:01 PM, Glindathegood said:

I think the direction would depend on whether it will coincide with the movie or be a stand alone album that comes first if the movie is delayed.  If it coincides with the movie it might be more mainstream to appeal to a wider audience, and maybe have an 80s influence. 
That insider at pop justice said it was something unexpected that she hadn’t done before, so that would sort of rule out a disco sound. 

Yeah, but the same insider said that the songs “could fit into something she has done in 2002-2004”.

That’s a very American Life thing to say, but at the same time, he keeps mentioning that they sound different to what she has done before due to these couple of new producers she's working with. Hmmm...

Oprah So What Is The Truth GIF

15 hours ago, TonyMontana said:

Gold comment. Thank you. In one comment you have said it all. That couldn't be more accurate. 

I think that silly. She has always been interested in more modern contemporary music. She has always liked hip hop long before she had kids. I get that a lot of her fans dislike that style of music, but that is her taste, not imposed on her by her kids or boyfriend. 

On 5/11/2021 at 7:14 PM, Blue Prince said:

I'm concerned that, by the time she makes that new record, all this current disco frenzy will be over and fans will complain that she has been late at the trend once again. 

I trust her as of late with making some fresh sounding tunes and I'm sure she'll do the same with the next album, as long as she doesn't overproduce herself again.

Is disco really a trend though? I always thought it is a classic style coming from the 1970’s.  Hasn’t it always been a part of pop dance oriented music since then? 

2 minutes ago, TonyMontana said:

What is silly is to call something silly when you didn't get the meaning of what @Roland Barthes meant and that i quoted to say i do agree with. We are not talking about the genre of music she made (may it be hip hop, rnb, dance, reggae whatever). In every music style there are brilliant, good, average and bad producers. Roland meant, and i do agree because M stated it herself several times, that she picked some producers because her kids were listening to their music and suggest she should work with them.  I have one example in mind, she once said that it's Rocco who suggested her to work with Diplo because he was listening to his music a lot at the time, and that's when she decided to reworked most of her Avicci tracks with Diplo.

10 hours ago, Glindathegood said:

I think that silly. She has always been interested in more modern contemporary music. She has always liked hip hop long before she had kids. I get that a lot of her fans dislike that style of music, but that is her taste, not imposed on her by her kids or boyfriend. 

Did you not read the interviews during Rebel Heart?!? lol