Favorite & least favorite photoshoot ? of Madonna!

Ayham

3 hours ago, Future Lover said:

One of my least favorites is the "Blame it on Rio" one, she looked so awful at the time, especially in outtakes.

The final shots are cool tho, yeah the outtakes are horrible that’s why they didn’t choose & leaking them was huge mistake by fans... ?

1 hour ago, discohub said:

Favourite:

Demarchelier, he always saw the best in her.

1990+Patrick+Demarchelier+%2528Justify+M

Bonus:

Lachapelle.

2391b377f5431e8d1bcc479d0b5c4611.jpg

Least favourite:

Steve Klein. Hate this whole shoot, hate that dress.

351.jpg

Bonus :

Steve Meisel. Love that dress.

7ad855e42d39d37946e38f18bb51c69c.jpg

I LOVEEEE David’s shoot... & SK RS magazine shoot is beautiful... ??

OMG this is really hard... 

I love the 1995 Fall/Winter Versace campaign shot with Mario Testino. My absolute fave. 

My least fave has to be the Hard Candy album photo shoot AND most of what has been done for MDNA SKin. I mean, that photo that was used for the 2018 Official calendar... They retouched her face sooo much that it almost looks like a painting — very Mae West but come on, barely looks like M anymore.. awful!

I keep getting the feeling M is way too comfy with Steven Klein now. Which is a shame. Not many of their recent collabs have been too interesting. 

Most favorites: X-Static Process exhibition, Die Another Day music video, American Life album, Interview Magazine 2010, Versace 1992, Confessions Tour photoshoot (equestrian), MDNA album, Agius photoshoot where she’s shown reading books and the photoshoot with her kids in bed and feeding the chickens and Confessions on a Dancefloor and Ray of Light’s entire album and singles photoshoots.

Least favorite ones: Rebel Heart album (aside from the album cover with wires on her face, which is legendary) every other shoot felt like it’s some beginner low effort and low budget tribute to Madonna’s old looks.

MDNA Tour poster was so random and completely unrelated to the aesthetic of the album or even the tour. Just a random shot with an inverted colors effect, and the blu-ray cover artworks was a disaster.

You Can Dance and Who’s That Girl seemed kinda uninspired, like they’re leftovers from True Blue

Hard Candy kickboxing was a great photoshoot in itself but the edit for the album completely ruined it. They should’ve just kept the kickboxing backgrounds.

Madame X photoshoot ranged from outstanding for the Blond cover and the I Rise (dancing in the black gown) ones to flat out cringeworthy like the eye patch Cha Cha instructor thing.

The problem is she has tons of great photoshoots but the way they edit them or decide not to use the good shots for single artworks is heartbreaking.

9 hours ago, RinoTheBouncer said:

Madame X photoshoot ranged from outstanding for the Blond cover and the I Rise (dancing in the black gown) ones to flat out cringeworthy like the eye patch Cha Cha instructor thing.

The problem is she has tons of great photoshoots but the way they edit them or decide not to use the good shots for single artworks is heartbreaking.

So true, MX (deluxe cover shoot) is perfect & I love the painting like vibes, however the eye patch & the rest is horrible including the regular album artwork. 

& YES to choosing very weird single artworks while they have 1000s of I seen shots! For example RH era... lol why on earth choosing the same wire shot for LFL single lol??? At least choose another shot from the same damn session lol... same with the rest it’s just annoying they pay ALOT of money then ending up using 4 shots! ? 

I LOVE when she goes all mythological and symbolical.

Even though I find the whole Rebel Heart album a bit boring, the aesthetic of the era was on point, specifically the Rebel Heart album shoot by Mert & Marcus, and gladiatrix Vanity Fair 2015 by Terry Richardson:

Untitled-1.png

2.png

Photoshoots I dislike most: anything from the True Blue period, 86-88. It's just too 80s for me... 

I don't like her work with Steven Klein except for their first collab. She looks lifeless in all of their collabs. 

My faourite photoshoots are with Herb Ritts from Susan promo to Hawaii 1985 etc...The WTG tourbook with very short dark hair, the San Pedro one...

The one i like the lest even though they are nice always have to do with bad hair like Helmut Newton for VF (but that shot on the bar with the black YSL dress is beautiful) or some shots for Japan in 86/87 that were used for YCD and the WTG movie promos but it really is because of the hair. Though WTG is also bad because of the white kabuki like make up, she's too white. I love Debi Mazar but she was bad at doing her hair and make up during the WTG era and tour. She's a better actress than beauty artist.

I can't give an answer that spans her entire career, there's simply too much to choose from. But i'll give my opinion on the recent ten years. Spoiler alert: i stan anything Mert & Marcus, i think they bring out the best in Madonna of recent years. Also i can't choose one, sue me. 

My favorites: Interview Magazine 2010. Interview Magazine 2015. Rebel heart with the gladiator and joan of arc vibes, as mentioned above. Vanity Fair 2015. British Vogue 2019. 

Least favorite: The photo series that included this image from Madame X era: 

1204683610_MSKRM.PNG.cf33432858fde52a5fe2fac43c4b2b60.PNG

The fact that no one stopped and said "hold up, wait a minute let's restyle and redo this entire thing" out of the photographer, assistans, retouchers and Madonna herself, is beyond baffling to me. I dislike every single photo from that shoot. Mert & Marcus would never let that happen.

I absolutely love the Madame X album cover with the dark hair though. But i think that came from a different day of shooting?  

Guest Nobody Knows Me

Apart from the X-Static Process/Re-Invention Tour and the Confessions on a Dance Floor photoshoot, I'm not that big on Steven Klein's photography to be honest.

4 hours ago, Dito said:

I LOVE when she goes all mythological and symbolical.

Even though I find the whole Rebel Heart album a bit boring, the aesthetic of the era was on point, specifically the Rebel Heart album shoot by Mert & Marcus, and gladiatrix Vanity Fair 2015 by Terry Richardson:

Untitled-1.png

2.png

Photoshoots I dislike most: anything from the True Blue period, 86-88. It's just too 80s for me... 

Yuck, I probably hate everything Mart & Mercus. They hide her behind anything that comes, put way too much make up on her, and dress her with ridiculously horrible clothes. For a very long time, M was able to be tacky and edgy at the same time. With M&M, she's just another overdressed celebrity with no sense of style.