Why are you a Madonna fan?

NowRadiate

Name 3 reasons why you love her as an artist.

1 - She sparked conversations no other pop artist dared to during her career. (As Niki Haris also said in one interview)

2 - She has always supported the LGBTQ community

3 - She has released some of the most memorable pop songs and videos ever

Now you.

Please keep negative opinions out, thank you.

Her reinventions, that's what drew me the most and kept me as a fan. I've always loved different versions of the same thing (weird mania I have, don't ask why), and in 2021 she STILL is the only artist to have successfully reinvented yourself to the point of creating different personas (Dita, Madame X, etc).

It's like every era had a concept, a theme, an aesthetic - and I'm a sucker for that. She did it soooo much better than any other artist. Some other artists have tried (Beyoncé, Lady Gaga, etc) but they feel a bit forced sometimes, whereas with Madonna it was very natural.

One reason has got to be her voice. I feel like I could hear it for the rest of my life if I had to choose one. There's something about it that draws my ears to it despite what she is singing and maybe this is why I'm not the most objective judge of her songs.

I also have many reasons to admire her so I feel like she is a good example, representing hard work paying off but also doing things your way sometimes, to set you apart from the mass.

Then, don't laugh, I kinda see her as a motherly figure. I do have a mother very much present in my life and M reminds me of her, both being blonde and strong women, but in the more accepting version, the more understanding one of who I am deep down.

Here's the top three reasons why I'm a fan:

• She's a damn good songwriter! Her songwriting is often eclipsed by her controversial nature.
  • Her re-inventions! She manages to re-invent herself into a different image during each album and it's awesome.
  • Her tours! I can't say enough about her concerts - they're visually and artistically break-taking.

1 hour ago, Blue Prince said:

One reason has got to be her voice. I feel like I could hear it for the rest of my life if I had to choose one. There's something about it that draws my ears to it despite what she is singing and maybe this is why I'm not the most objective judge of her songs.

I also have many reasons to admire her so I feel like she is a good example, representing hard work paying off but also doing things your way sometimes, to set you apart from the mass.

Then, don't laugh, I kinda see her as a motherly figure. I do have a mother very much present in my life and M reminds me of her, both being blonde and strong women, but in the more accepting version, the more understanding one of who I am deep down.

I totally get the mother figure thing. No laughing matter at all.

3 hours ago, Blue Prince said:

I kinda see her as a motherly figure. I do have a mother very much present in my life and M reminds me of her, both being blonde and strong women, but in the more accepting version, the more understanding one of who I am deep down.

Oh man, you touched such a sensitive subject with that hahah *cue life story that nobody asked for*

My mother was born with polio and in a society that was extremely discriminatory towards disabled people - even though she was soooo smart and beautiful, she couldn't get a job and just settled with my father who was, like a lot of the men at the time, a controlling sexist macho-man b*stard. My mother ended up having 3 kids and I was the youngest of them all, and from a young age I fought my own father so my mother could be able to do basic things like going out alone or even getting a driver's license (yes, it was THAT bad...).

Enter Madonna in my life at 13 years old and now I have two mother figures who are the total  opposite of each other. I felt like Madonna was my "spiritual" mother, strong and fearless, guiding me through a difficult adolescence. On the other side my mother, a woman broken down by society and marriage, devalued, discriminated. This dichotomy was very hard for me. There were a few years when whenever I had a problem I genuinely would think "What would Madonna do?" instead of asking my mother for advice.

15 years later I no longer think like this of course, and my mother fortunately has become much more independent (and Madonna much more cringy... how the tables have turned :eyes:), but I'll always see M as my spiritual mother, the one who shaped and molded me, giving me advice through her lyrics and raising my self-esteem during troubled times. My mother as the type of woman Madonna was fighting for.

Aside from her music and visuals, which was the first thing that sucked me into her world when I was 7/8 years old and immediately thought there was literally nothing like her, being born in Iraq and gay, I got to know her music even before I understood who and what I am or even knowing of how I felt was even a thing that everyone did. I didn’t have the vocabulary or any live example to describe or compare to, her representation or the lifestyle, of LGBT and even before I understood any of that.

She was an example of a woman who defied social norms and boundaries and that spoke to me on so many levels and made me understand that it’s ok to be me, no matter what I was, no matter what label that I don’t know of applies to me and even if I was the only one, that it’s ok to be who I am.

And as I gradually grew up and began to understand things and be exposed to many more artists old and new, somehow no one else could speak to me like her, and seeing her live amplified everything I felt for her, which was already huge to begin with.

Her visual art, her music, her self expression, her way of turning live performances to an actual show, not just someone singing on a stage or looking pretty in a video, her political messages, her stances against all kinds of discrimination... she’s a complete package that is like no other.

Oh, with this question you really opened Pandora's box. I like it. I have so many reasons, but they're mainly about my inexistent relationship with my father and how his absence shaped my vision of world. So, my parents divorced when I was two and I grew up with my mother and my grandparents. My father became immediately a ghost in my life and his absence made me think that I was the reason why he disappeared, that I was unwanted in his life. I really felt a strong sense of neglect. Plus he quickly started a legal fight against my mother to take me away from her. She chose to protect me from the outside world at all cost and I grew up in a fairy bubble, full of love and care, but I had and still have this hole in my heart. When I started the high school, my father phoned me and said that I was going to an unsuccesful person 'cause I decided to study Greek, Latin, philosophy, subjects that were good for nerd but not for who wanted to have a good job in future. This conversation broke me: I found comfort in music, poetry, philosophy. I started to hate him for all the pain he has caused to me during my life. 

Back to the topic, although I grew up with her songs, I found out that she was different from other popstars I saw on MTV when I listened to Promise to Try and Oh Father. Her lyrics described so well my strong bond, even problematic sometime, with my mother and the abusive relationship with my father: they let me see her behind the curtains  of her fame and I saw a person who survived her past to became one of the most influencing people in world. She's the living proof that your past doesn't count if you want to realize yourself. Her songs encouraged me to be hungry for life, to fall in love with it, to not be afraid of dreaming, no matter what your family is or what people say to you.

I think it’s safe to say that everyone who has had to suffer toxic masculinity in one way or another connected to Madonna‘s persona, art and message on a deep level, which made her a role-model/mother figure for a lot of people. Thank you for sharing your stories @Loki @Dito. I relate.

1. I love her music. 

2. Her many re-inventions was so inspiring. Madonna was her own boss, she called the shots, and to a certain extent she illustrated that "we're nothing but masks" (to quote Paglia). 

3. I think Madonna has a wonderful sense of humor. Back in the heyday she never wanted to be taken too seriously. And I loved that.

Edited by Erlend (see edit history)

at the time as a 10 year old never realized i was queer, we had kareoke tapes of her songs and i was fascinated liked the music then saw her on mtv many times lucky star borderline burning up..... then 1990 justify my love became an issue i was confused then,.... then 1993 came saw DEEPER AND DEEPER then had my first album EROTICA on CASSETTE along with IMMACULATE COLLECTION.... then I WAS HOOKED..... then i backtracked learned about singles eps albums and the sort .... i was 13 then...... i guess ... then had the SEX book ....... i became a fan for life

She's the most complete pop artist that will ever exist, but I think the first thing that got me fascinated was her shows. I was about 14 when I started to discover her music (the recent stuff at the time was Confessions and AL); I ended up buying the Confessions DVD and I was amazed by it. A couple years later the S&S DVD came out and with that I was sold for life. Seeing her live for the first time at the MDNA tour was what turned me into a stan.

I obsess over every single thing about her career, specially her flawless discography, so large, diverse and full of gems, but the performer in her is what initially caught my eye and made me admire her so much. That opened the door for everything else.

I also must say that being obsessed with American Life in my early teenage years was such a special thing. The album was almost 5 years old when I fully discovered it, but listening on repeat to something that I felt was so different and special and that nobody else around seemed to know made me feel like it was something intimate for me and made me create a bond with this album (to this day my fave Madonna album) and an adoration for the artist.

Due to my age and little exposure to music in English in my childhood I caught Madonna quite late and I had to slowly discover everything along the years, but it's been an incredible journey :heart: