Meaning behind "Queen"?

Weirdly enough I don't think she is talking about herself. The way she describes the world ending/changing, the queen sounds more like the old ruler, the one people used to respect, coming down for the new order of things to replace her. It's a social observation maybe to describe how people can feel lost when power changes hands and form. Personally it makes me think about the Queen is Dead by The Smiths. She could have been inspired by them.

3 hours ago, Nahual said:

I thought it was about Queen Lizzie, but I suppose it might be about herself. You can interpret the song as her lamenting her declining popularity if you're really cynical about it, although I like the song regardless of what it represents.

I always thought she's reflecting about the loss of relevance and popularity in "Wash all over me", isn't she? 

Edited by Leandro Gomes (see edit history)

I just did my first post here but I didn't introduce myself. Shame on me. I'm Leandro from Brazil, have been a real Madonna stan for 36 years now (I'm 44). Growing up as a gay kid in the 80's wasn't easy, and she helped me so much in the process, in so many ways that I can't even put down in words. She is and always will be THE Queen.

2 hours ago, Leandro Gomes said:

I just did my first post here but I didn't introduce myself. Shame on me. I'm Leandro from Brazil, have been a real Madonna stan for 36 years now (I'm 44). Growing up as a gay kid in the 80's wasn't easy, and she helped me so much in the process, in so many ways that I can't even put down in words. She is and always will be THE Queen.

Welcome to the forum!