Material Girl mv hd coming Wednesday

Spanky1995

49 minutes ago, Fighter said:

Let this be some kind of confirmation (knocks on wood) that the film negatives actually exist ? 

I'm sure they exist. I'm also sure the tapes for BAT exist as well. If we have learned anything from her writing the biopic sessions, cassettes, journals... she is VERY organized and keeps EVERYTHING. Labelled by year. She knows exactly where everything is. Her archives are very well maintained I'm sure.

31 minutes ago, Andymad said:

I'm sure they exist. I'm also sure the tapes for BAT exist as well. If we have learned anything from her writing the biopic sessions, cassettes, journals... she is VERY organized and keeps EVERYTHING. Labelled by year. She knows exactly where everything is. Her archives are very well maintained I'm sure.

Maybe by the time the biopic will be promoted, the true HD videos will come rolling in.

1 hour ago, Roy said:

Maybe by the time the biopic will be promoted, the true HD videos will come rolling in.

Well I think by that time, after releasing her music videos all in HD on YouTube over the next year or two, I think WB would squeeze some new money out of her fans and re-release/release the ultimate new Immaculate Collection Blu Ray/iTunes with all of the HD videos to promote the biopic 

11 hours ago, Andymad said:

True. I remember her talking about how she keeps everything, including all the costumes from her tours etc.

Edited by Erlend (see edit history)

12 hours ago, Roy said:

if we already got these upscales then I doubt they're gonna make proper ones any time soon :broken: i really hope they won't try to do 4k ones later on with these upscales too...

2 hours ago, Fighter said:

if we already got these upscales then I doubt they're gonna make proper ones any time soon :broken: i really hope they won't try to do 4k ones later on with these upscales too...

Exactly. This is as good as it gets for some time.

The Beatles went back and remastered their videos for a Bluray, the quality is amazing. But what Mary Lambert says confirms the reason Madonna’s people won’t do it is cost.

3 hours ago, Blue Jean said:

Exactly. This is as good as it gets for some time.

The Beatles went back and remastered their videos for a Bluray, the quality is amazing. But what Mary Lambert says confirms the reason Madonna’s people won’t do it is cost.

Yes, because Madonna is very poor to even think about doing it for "the love of the art" as she likes to brand herself... 

6 minutes ago, vncsmoraes said:

I'm pretty sure Warner is banking the costs for these remasters since they own her older work, it's not up to M how much money/effort goes on this.

They own it for now but it's a matter of time she claims to own her 80s masters or at least ownership with exclusive distribution deal with Warner or something like that.

Legally she could already have "Madonna" and "Like A Virgin" back to her (it's 35 years since the original release) if she wanted to.

52 minutes ago, Prayer said:

They own it for now but it's a matter of time she claims to own her 80s masters or at least ownership with exclusive distribution deal with Warner or something like that.

Legally she could already have "Madonna" and "Like A Virgin" back to her (it's 35 years since the original release) if she wanted to.

Has she only owned her masters from Erotica onwards? 

1 hour ago, Husam Elzien said:

Has she only owned her masters from Erotica onwards? 

No, she owns her masters from "MDNA", they're copyrighted to her company (Boy Toy, Inc) with exclusive license to Live Nation and Interscope Records (for a limited number of years, I guess).

All the Warner stuff is owned by Warner but legally the artist can claim ownership of the recording after 35 years since the original release. That means gradually she can get all of her Warner albums if she wants to.

So maybe she is waiting til after the biopic  and her stock is high to do re releases under her own terms and ownership to make bank. In 2024 she will own the masters to her entire 80’s catalogue. Possibly 2023 of the masters for Like A Prayer were submitted at the end of 88. Like Michael and Prince we all know her 80’s catalogue is where she makes bank.

The royalties from Live albums and releases may also be why she is reluctant to do a greatest hits tour. Warner will make all the money since they own all the hits. 

I can't believe they are sitting on the original material and do upscale instead. 

I understand if it is expansive, but we are talking about Warner and Madonna here. This isn't like people are asking for HD videos of some obscure artist from the 80s.

What about other 80s artists and their recently remastered music videos ? Are those real HD videos based on original material or just upscales?

2 hours ago, Justice said:

I can't believe they are sitting on the original material and do upscale instead. 

I understand if it is expansive, but we are talking about Warner and Madonna here. This isn't like people are asking for HD videos of some obscure artist from the 80s.

What about other 80s artists and their recently remastered music videos ? Are those real HD videos based on original material or just upscales?

I don't get it either. 
Alanis was a Maverick artist when she released "Jagged Little Pill" and we've been getting true 4K remasters of her videos from that album, clearly done from the original film negatives. 
Why can't they spend the same kind of money on restoring at least some of M videos? 

Because Jagged Little Pill is the best selling album of the 90’s has endless special editions and has made a hell of a lot of money. It’s paid for itself time and time again. Madonna’s albums (immaculate aside)  just don’t have the range.
Like A Prayer and Ray Of Light are probably the only two that cross the lines into what heterosexual males might buy / be considered “classic”. 
That tends to be where the money on reeditions tends to be by all accounts. 

2 hours ago, steady75 said:

Because Jagged Little Pill is the best selling album of the 90’s has endless special editions and has made a hell of a lot of money. It’s paid for itself time and time again. Madonna’s albums (immaculate aside)  just don’t have the range.
Like A Prayer and Ray Of Light are probably the only two that cross the lines into what heterosexual males might buy / be considered “classic”. 
That tends to be where the money on reeditions tends to be by all accounts. 

Since when do Alanis Morissette reissues make more money than Madonna?

34 minutes ago, Shoful said:

I can’t imagine the costs of true hd videos equals out the revenue they’d make back. Compared to just these upscaled

They don’t even make that much from YouTube views anyway. I can’t see any real benefit for labels, it’s most likely the artists and their management arranging all that stuff. Alanis for example, yes she did that big reissue and video remasters but she was promoting a huge anniversary tour.