The Biopic; Untitled  

RUADJAI

2 hours ago, Andymad said:

Not sure if this was mentioned yet, but I just recently watched ‘What’s Love Got To Do With It’. Now THAT is a fantastically made biopic.

It's an entertaining movie with great acting but it's not a good biopic. There are too many inaccuracies. Even Tina doesn't like it because they changed so much of her story. Tina didn't have control over the script, that's something Madonna didn't want to happen and fans shouldn't either. What's Love Got to Do with It is only loosely based on Tina's autobiography I, Tina. A lot of scenes were fabricated such as the hospital scene, cake scene, rape scene, and gun scene. The movie even leaves out that Tina had her first child when was 18 with a musician in Ike's band. Tina and Ike both sold their rights so he couldn't sue for defamation. Tina was obligated to record the soundtrack and promote it.

1 hour ago, Vogue Italia said:

It's an entertaining movie with great acting but it's not a good biopic. There are too many inaccuracies. Even Tina doesn't like it because they changed so much of her story. Tina didn't have control over the script, that's something Madonna didn't want to happen and fans shouldn't either. What's Love Got to Do with It is only loosely based on Tina's autobiography I, Tina. A lot of scenes were fabricated such as the hospital scene, cake scene, rape scene, and gun scene. The movie even leaves out that Tina had her first child when was 18 with a musician in Ike's band. Tina and Ike both sold their rights so he couldn't sue for defamation. Tina was obligated to record the soundtrack and promote it.

Oh wow interesting I didn’t know that thanks 

51 minutes ago, Vogue Italia said:

Pop Tv GIF by Schitt's Creek
Huh. i did not know that. 

Madonna will do her own fabricating… Trust lol!

2 hours ago, Vasili said:

Madonna will do her own fabricating… Trust lol!

I'm sure there will be some embellishments. No biopic is ever 100% accurate and the movie needs to have a flow but there's a difference between dramatizing a situation and defaming someone's character. Not that Ike Turner was a model citizen, but the writers and producers for What's Love Got to Do With It clearly had an agenda to villainize him more than necessary and sanitize Tina's character. It makes for a good Hollywood movie but as someone who is a fan of Ike & Tina Turner's discography as a duo and has read both of their autobiographies, the movie makes them look like caricatures. Angela Bassett and Laurence Fishburne did great with what they were given, but the movie does not show why Ike & Tina Turner were regarded as one of the best live acts or how they broke racial barriers with their music. There's not much about Tina's songwriting (she wrote many songs other than "Nutbush City Limits"), nothing about the various record labels Ike started to release music for singers in his band (Jimi Hendrix was briefly in his band too), nothing about their Bolic Sound recording studio and owning their own music. 

I hope with Madonna's movie that her personal life doesn't overshadow her groundbreaking career. I also hope since she has had two co-writers that she has allowed herself to be shown in a realistic light.

21 hours ago, Vogue Italia said:
I'm sure there will be some embellishments. No biopic is ever 100% accurate and the movie needs to have a flow but there's a difference between dramatizing a situation and defaming someone's character. Not that Ike Turner was a model citizen, but the writers and producers for What's Love Got to Do With It clearly had an agenda to villainize him more than necessary and sanitize Tina's character. It makes for a good Hollywood movie but as someone who is a fan of Ike & Tina Turner's discography as a duo and has read both of their autobiographies, the movie makes them look like caricatures. Angela Bassett and Laurence Fishburne did great with what they were given, but the movie does not show why Ike & Tina Turner were regarded as one of the best live acts or how they broke racial barriers with their music. There's not much about Tina's songwriting (she wrote many songs other than "Nutbush City Limits"), nothing about the various record labels Ike started to release music for singers in his band (Jimi Hendrix was briefly in his band too), nothing about their Bolic Sound recording studio and owning their own music. 
I hope with Madonna's movie that her personal life doesn't overshadow her groundbreaking career. I also hope since she has had two co-writers that she has allowed herself to be shown in a realistic light.

The general public are generally basic and don’t appreciate layers and nuance, and that combined with the medium that it is leads to a simplification/caricaturing of characters, unfortunately…

That’s why less years covered will allow for said nuance.

7 hours ago, androiduser said:

watching The Andy Warhol Diaries on Netflix, and I wonder if Madonna will have the Andy Warhol character in her movie. Somehow she doesn't really name drop Warhol that often, but he was a huge part of that scene.

In the first livestream, Diablo said that Andy was one of the funniest characters on the script 'cause he always talked with monosyllables. 

On 4/12/2022 at 12:40 AM, androiduser said:

watching The Andy Warhol Diaries on Netflix, and I wonder if Madonna will have the Andy Warhol character in her movie. Somehow she doesn't really name drop Warhol that often, but he was a huge part of that scene.

Madonna confirmed during her first Instagram Live with Diablo Cody that Andy Warhol will be in the film. She said: "We do talk about Andy [Warhol], and Keith [Haring], and Jean-Michel Basquiat and Martin Burgoyne and the whole coming up as an artist in Manhattan, downtown, Lower East Side in the early '80s." She described Warhol's dialogue in the script as "monosyllabic." 

I watched the Andy Warhol Diaries and I noticed that Madonna isn't mentioned by name. There was a flash of a few pictures of her and I believe a short clip of her performing on the Top of the Pops. Even in the Basquiat episode, their relationship is not mentioned. She is mentioned a bit in the actual book but I never got the impression that Andy was really close to Madonna. He was close to Basquiat and Keith, and she was also close to them. Even Martin seemed closer to Andy than her. The mentions of Madonna in his diary are of them being at the same events or gatherings with other people but he doesn't talk about hanging out with her alone as a friend. I've never even seen a photo of them together, although he took photos of her. Andy attended her wedding as Martin's date, he didn't even get his own invite. 

Madonna said Basquiat introduced her to Andy so maybe that's what she'll show in the film. She also recalled them all hanging out at a restaurant. I'm intrigued to know how the casting is going for the biopic. There will be quite an eclectic group of people in this film.

Oscar-winning screenwriter Diablo Cody “still can’t believe” she worked with Madonna, telling ABC Audio it was “a dream come true” to co-write her idol’s biopic.

The Queen of Pop announced in September 2020 that she would be directing her own biopic, and tapped Cody to co-write the script with her. According to Madge, the movie is a “happy, sad, mad, crazy, good, bad and ugly” story of her rise to stardom.

“I still can’t believe that’s how I was able to spend my summer,” Cody said of the experience. “She’s incredible! I don’t think I’ve ever met anybody with a work ethic like that before.”

“Madonna is just on another level,” the Juno writer continued. “I can’t really say that much about [the movie] but I can say that I’m profoundly grateful for the experience.”

Read full article at Wilmar Radio Home

https://madonnaunderground.com/diablo-cody-reminisces-about-working-with-madonna-on-her-biopic-im-profoundly-grateful-for-the-experience/

9 hours ago, Brendanlovesu1 said:

Oscar-winning screenwriter Diablo Cody “still can’t believe” she worked with Madonna, telling ABC Audio it was “a dream come true” to co-write her idol’s biopic.

The Queen of Pop announced in September 2020 that she would be directing her own biopic, and tapped Cody to co-write the script with her. According to Madge, the movie is a “happy, sad, mad, crazy, good, bad and ugly” story of her rise to stardom.

“I still can’t believe that’s how I was able to spend my summer,” Cody said of the experience. “She’s incredible! I don’t think I’ve ever met anybody with a work ethic like that before.”

“Madonna is just on another level,” the Juno writer continued. “I can’t really say that much about [the movie] but I can say that I’m profoundly grateful for the experience.”

Read full article at Wilmar Radio Home

https://madonnaunderground.com/diablo-cody-reminisces-about-working-with-madonna-on-her-biopic-im-profoundly-grateful-for-the-experience/

So much for people (mostly Madonna's own fans) thinking that Diablo quit because Madonna was too difficult to work with. It's normal for films to have multiple writers and to go through revisions. Diablo did her job, they turned in their draft, and she moved on to her next project.

So much for people (mostly Madonna's own fans) thinking that Diablo quit because Madonna was too difficult to work with. It's normal for films to have multiple writers and to go through revisions. Diablo did her job, they turned in their draft, and she moved on to her next project.

It doesn’t mean the experience wasn’t pleasant for her.
She could be grateful for it but also be putting a diplomatic PR spin on it.
She sure looked awkward in those videos…

Well, some people are shy in front of the camera. And Diablo could be one of them.

I don't think it’s a PR stunt 'cause she's not attached to the project anymore. And it sounds more like she really appreciated her time with M. All of her collaborators talk about Madonna's work ethic, so the fact that she's actually mentioning it means something authentic to me.

1 hour ago, Vasili said:

It doesn’t mean the experience wasn’t pleasant for her.
She could be grateful for it but also be putting a diplomatic PR spin on it.

I agree. She always looked uncomfortable in the video with Madonna. In particular, her expression was the look of a poor office worker who wanted to say something  to an irritating boss but the boss was next to her, so she's just biting her lips tightly and enduring everything to inside.

21 hours ago, Vasili said:

Well, she’s a writer, not an actor. She doesn’t live on camera, let alone have her working process filmed and shown to anyone on Instagram.

Even Erin looks awkward in those videos too, because she refers to herself as an introvert. Some people are meant to be behind the camera, not in front of it.

Mind you, this isn’t the first time Diablo spoke about her writing process with Madonna, the previous times she was very positive about it.

4 hours ago, deathproof said:
Well, she’s a writer, not an actor. She doesn’t live on camera, let alone have her working process filmed and shown to anyone on Instagram.
Even Erin looks awkward in those videos too, because she refers to herself as an introvert. Some people are meant to be behind the camera, not in front of it.
Mind you, this isn’t the first time Diablo spoke about her writing process with Madonna, the previous times she was very positive about it.

I hear what you’re saying, but I think the interactions were awkward.

I imagine that it would be hard to assert your voice in that dynamic.

Did anyone else see that second, longer Frozen remix video BTS? There's a moment where Ricardo, who is directing, suggests that M do a retake because it was a great take (to have another option, I suppose), and she says something along the lines of "no, I don't want to" to which he says "okay, so I guess we're not going to then", effectively undermining him in front of the crew he is apparently meant to play a key role in leading.

Anyway, it's always interesting to see how M interacts with people, particular these days.

Edit: Here it is:

3 hours ago, Vasili said:

I hear what you’re saying, but I think the interactions were awkward.

I imagine that it would be hard to assert your voice in that dynamic.

Did anyone else see that second, longer Frozen remix video BTS? There's a moment where Ricardo, who is directing, suggests that M do a retake because it was a great take (to have another option, I suppose), and she says something along the lines of "no, I don't want to" to which he says "okay, so I guess we're not going to then", effectively undermining him in front of the crew he is apparently meant to play a key role in leading.

Anyway, it's always interesting to see how M interacts with people, particular these days.

Edit: Here it is:

Posted March 13

Poor Ricardo Gomes..

Ricardo Gomes : You do that again because it was amazing! You should look at (???).

Madonna : I don't want to.. I don't care. 

Ricardo Gomes : mmmmmmm..........OK....So....we're not do it again..

Poor thing.. LOL.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

OMG. This is what I wrote on March 13.

I'm glad that I'm not the only one noticing how awful Madonna's behavior at that moment. What Madonna seriously needs is a director who has guts to tell her. "Shut your mouth up and do it again! We need another cut!!"

I don't even like Ricardo Gomes because I don't think that he has talent. But what he did is just very politely asking, even ass sucking Madonna's big ass, to do it again for best cut.  But look at the way Madonna insults him in front of everyone!

20 hours ago, MadameX said:

I'm glad that I'm not the only one noticing how awful Madonna's behavior at that moment. What Madonna seriously needs is a director who has guts to tell her. "Shut your mouth up and do it again! We need another cut!!"

Mario Testino described the photoshoot for the Ray of Light album art... at one point Madonna just said she's had enough and she is done, and he said they didn't get the photo yet... and she told him she hired him, and she decides when they're done... and he said no, they're taking more photos... and then they shot the legendary cover.

I don't remember the exact interview, but the perfumer working with her on the "Truth or Dare" perfume said the process was challenging  because she didn't want to understand that some scents and notes don't mix well. (I'm paraphrasing here).

M can be an annoying know-it-all. One of the reasons why her movie career went nowhere.

• RUADJAI changed the title to The Biopic; Untitled  
  • RUADJAI unpinned this topic