The Biopic; Untitled  

RUADJAI

16 hours ago, Vasili said:

Okay. I'm starting to see it...

I struggled initially as she has a gamine thing going on.

She will surely need to put on a few kilos during the LAV years.

Julia-Garner.jpg

MV5BYTEwYTVlZjEtYzUwNC00NmFkLWIzYzUtNTli

She is the one, definitely.

She has the attitude, you know. I've been watching Ozark for a time, and she resembles Madonna in some aspects like tics, body positions, her walking... I don't know. I can see a young Madonna in her even if they don't look like a lot. She's also a good actress, so...

As for the looking, there's nothing a good makeup and outfits can't solve.

10 hours ago, Glindathegood said:

Did the biopics of men like Freddie Mercury and Elton doing those things? Why is this ruthless ambition always brought up when it comes to women? 

Freddie's biopic went as far as distorting the truth to make it seem like he broke up the band, all for his solo career. Elton's biopic focused on the self destructive drug addiction. Since Madonna wasn't in a band, and she's not an addict, the negative side of the character must be shown in some other way.

12 hours ago, Glindathegood said:

Maybe I have a different view of Madonna than you because I don’t fundamentally see her as a mean spirited person who steps over people or fucks people over to reach her goal.  Can you give examples of who you have in mind? She’s not obligated to make other people successful or work with them forever. Did the biopics of men like Freddie Mercury and Elton doing those things? Why is this ruthless ambition always brought up when it comes to women? 

Madonna very much stepped all over people in her career and she would not have survived those early years otherwise, she is ambitious and a streak of ruthlessness is a trait of highly charged and ambitious people. It does not mean she is a bad person, just that she acted in ways some would deem harsh when she felt it was required. Bohemian Rhapsody and Rocketman both touched on negative aspects of Elton and Freddie although Freddie was a bit white washed and lacked dimension in my opinion.

16 hours ago, Glindathegood said:

Did the biopics of men like Freddie Mercury and Elton doing those things? Why is this ruthless ambition always brought up when it comes to women? 

Decent point but, to be fair, M was notorious for using and dumping folk on her way up; financially, creatively, sexually.

It's not part of the mythology of the two men you mentioned.

13 hours ago, vadge said:

I'm taking the news with a mountain of salt since we've heard nothing from Madonna herself, but assuming its true:

I do wish she picked someone that actually looks like her, as her face and body (and sexuality) is much more important to her story and iconography than artists like Elvis, Elton or Cher. Julia is only compared to M because her hair looks a lot like the Vogue era, and because she sometimes wears red lipstick. Her eyebrows, face structure, lips, cheeks, chin, nose are all the polar opposite of Madonna's. And then if its her acting that reedeems it, why not Meryl Streep Florence Pugh?

I can't stress enough how much Madeline Brewer was the clear right choice in every way, especially looks... but I can see Madonna only picking from actresses with notable fame and acclaim in 2022.

Having said that, if Julia eats up her demeanor/mannerisms/delivery and choreography, I will happily suspend all disbelief.

dVEB1N97.thumb.jpg.356ae16fe5d28321d01aab35f23bc95c.jpg

The studio most likely required she picked a current well known actress. 
Was Florence Pugh available or willing to do it? I read she had other commitments. 

13 hours ago, The First Citizen said:

Madonna very much stepped all over people in her career and she would not have survived those early years otherwise, she is ambitious and a streak of ruthlessness is a trait of highly charged and ambitious people. It does not mean she is a bad person, just that she acted in ways some would deem harsh when she felt it was required. Bohemian Rhapsody and Rocketman both touched on negative aspects of Elton and Freddie although Freddie was a bit white washed and lacked dimension in my opinion.

What makes you think Madonna wouldn’t show negative sides of herself? She did  in Truth and Dare? 

9 hours ago, Vasili said:

Decent point but, to be fair, M was notorious for using and dumping folk on her way up; financially, creatively, sexually.

It's not part of the mythology of the two men you mentioned.

Yes she has worked with different people and had different relationships, but how does that equate to using? Didn’t these other people get something out of  too? 
Thevfact that she has worked with different producers and writers is one thing that makes her interesting as an artist because she is always trying new things.

People grow apart and go in different directions, that doesn’t mean you are using them if you later no longer want to work with them or be in a relationship with them. 
Who did she use financially? Who was she dating purely for money? She was attracted to guys who did help her in the beginning but that doesn’t mean she didn’t have feelings for them and just was dating them for her career. 

2 hours ago, Glindathegood said:

What makes you think Madonna wouldn’t show negative sides of herself? She did  in Truth and Dare? 

The narrative is going to be a strong independent crusader woman overcoming the hatred and backlash as a result of expressing herself sexually I assume. Highlighting how she stepped all over people and how she has changed her attitude completely every time she has gotten involved with a man in order to please him will go against this narrative.

On 6/8/2022 at 6:45 PM, Glindathegood said:

I read very mixed things about it so not sure what to think. Baz Luhrmann has always been a bit of a polarizing director among critics. I’m not that big a fan of Elvis so it’s not something I’m compelled to see. 

I love both Elvis and Luhrmann so I can't wait to see the movie, I will probably go on the first day it's in theaters, but I can definitely agree that his style is often absurd, style over substance... it's just that I personally enjoy it.

6 hours ago, Glindathegood said:

Yes she has worked with different people and had different relationships, but how does that equate to using? Didn’t these other people get something out of  too? 
Thevfact that she has worked with different producers and writers is one thing that makes her interesting as an artist because she is always trying new things.

People grow apart and go in different directions, that doesn’t mean you are using them if you later no longer want to work with them or be in a relationship with them. 
Who did she use financially? Who was she dating purely for money? She was attracted to guys who did help her in the beginning but that doesn’t mean she didn’t have feelings for them and just was dating them for her career. 

I think it's more about how you treat people and the style in which you let them go.

See Camille Barbone, for starters.

6 hours ago, Glindathegood said:

She was attracted to guys who did help her in the beginning but that doesn’t mean she didn’t have feelings for them and just was dating them for her career. 

the same way gold-diggers have feelings for millionaires, and millionaires have feelings for beautiful young women... :eyes: not that either is wrong.

7 hours ago, Glindathegood said:

I love your Screen Name "Glinda The Good" I just needed to say that -- k bye xo

12 hours ago, Vasili said:

I think it's more about how you treat people and the style in which you let them go.

See Camille Barbone, for starters.

Camille Barbone didn’t seem like an innocent sweetheart. She was a tough cookie. She was pushing Madonna into something she wasn’t comfortable with pop rock like Pat Benatar.  Does Madonna have to do that or is she allowed to follow her own path? 
I was brought up to be nice and never upset or offend anyone, but I’ve come to realize that means never doing what makes you happy or fulfilling your own needs.  I’ve come to realize that’s not a healthy way to live, actually Madonna helped me realize that. 

Sky Ferreira on how she missed out on playing Madonna:

Recently, she narrowly missed out on the role of Madonna in the official biopic. “It was the most surreal thing at first,” Ferreira says of the extensive auditions. She worshipped Madonna as a kid, and went to clubs and “talked shit” in order to get noticed as a teenager because that’s what Madonna did. “And it worked!” Ferreira sang Like a Virgin with her, wearing her clothes. “And she did my makeup! That was the best moment of my life.”

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/jun/17/i-got-robbed-of-my-20s-sky-ferreira-on-fighting-her-record-label-and-refusing-to-compromise

• RUADJAI changed the title to The Biopic; Untitled  
  • RUADJAI unpinned this topic