The Biopic; Untitled  

RUADJAI

my main concern with Madonna directing is

a) that she might not have the unbiased view necessary to decide what's important for the movie and what does not really work... while some events are an important part of her life, they might not translate well to film and might not be equally important/relevant for the plot of the movie

b) that she will try to imitate the style of some directors she admires and then get tangled up in the storyline and visuals. For example, with W.E., she followed the structure of Julie & Julia (a story in the past intertwined with the story in the present, and in the case of W.E. the modern story was completely unnecessary) and she was mixing more contemporary music into a period piece, something that Tarantino and Guy Ritchie do successfully.

1 hour ago, androiduser said:

my main concern with Madonna directing is

a) that she might not have the unbiased view necessary to decide what's important for the movie and what does not really work... while some events are an important part of her life, they might not translate well to film and might not be equally important/relevant for the plot of the movie

b) that she will try to imitate the style of some directors she admires and then get tangled up in the storyline and visuals. For example, with W.E., she followed the structure of Julie & Julia (a story in the past intertwined with the story in the present, and in the case of W.E. the modern story was completely unnecessary) and she was mixing more contemporary music into a period piece, something that Tarantino and Guy Ritchie do successfully.

1) everyone is biased. This thread is proof enough that even without the film being shot or even the premise of the script that it's being shit on

2)every director will reference and in fact when you mention contemporary music (wasnt it only one song by the sex pistols?) being something Tarantino or Guy do successfully (btw Guy has had alot of flops so I definitely would not put him in the league with Tarantino and a flop himself until he got Disney bagged), it was actually inspired by female director Sofia Coppola and her film Marie Antoinette where that was a big part of that particular film.

Will it be a perfect film? Absolutely not but what film is? Truth or Dare was hardly perfect and this obsession with her not being biased is so stupid and asinine. It's almost as if it won't be a good film until she bluntly says she's a terrible person and is going to hell when she dies. Lol

15 minutes ago, MattyMads said:

There is an article in the Daily Mail today talking about the hung up video shoot, also mentioned is a rumour the biopic maybe scrapped due to it costing too much and the constant changes in script.

Looks like a world tour may happen then.

Just the Mail rehashing the "rumour" tweet from last week then... 

On 9/3/2022 at 10:28 AM, musicinferno said:

Where would a good cut off point be? Ray of Light? 

I can't imagine the movie going all the way up until present. The only interesting things would be her divorce from Guy and maybe Confessions. 

Confessions, absolutely. She can show the release and massive hit the album had and end the movie with CT opening night

I think the movie should be told in order but it does not have to include everything to be powerful. It might be more powerful.

Like the 16 track Finally Enough Love. It gets the job done very well and sometimes I think its better than the 3 disc version. The one disc is definitely better for the general public.

17 hours ago, Andymad said:

The Whitney movie trailer just surfaced. M needs to figure out her sheet and get the ball rolling

Right. The Whitney biopic was announced in April 2020 before the script was complete. By the end of the year they announced the casting. The movie will be released December 2022. Madonna began working on her screenplay with Diablo around the summer of 2020. It's been 2 years and no official casting has been announced. A few months ago we heard reports of Jennifer Garner being offered the role but nothing has been confirmed of her accepting the role. Last November Amy Pascal said that they were going to begin filming this year. Well that doesn't look like it's happening. 

Hopefully we get some exciting updates to coincide with the 40th anniversary of her debut single next month.

14 hours ago, Vasili said:

Agreed but the Whitney trailer has a corny 'TV movie' feel to it which I know M will avoid at all costs.

I agree, and yet I like that it's mostly about the music, all eras are included and this is something I really hope M will be able to do, at least all the 80s and 90s stuff, also beacause, if WH had a strong musical and performative talent, she never got ambitious, innovative and provocative as M did. So of course M's backgrounds can be quite interesting to experience.

Maybe that's one of the reasons why she's having troubles, she already said she doesn't know what to cut off and wants to include too much stuff. 

I have a feeling that the film will only show Madonna's life before she became a world star: a part of her story that many of us do not fully know and that Madonna herself has declared in interviews to be the part she is most interested in showing since it can serve as an inspiration to many young people who try to achieve success and fame. Objectives, by the way, that many fail to achieve due to the "high cost" they have to pay to achieve it. Seeing how Madonna overcame or faced these obstacles to achieve fame seems more interesting to me than reliving moments that fans or the general public already know too well.

A proof of my theory is the profile of the actress who will play her: a beautiful woman with an innocent and youthful appearance. This allows us to conclude that Madonna's entire life will not be shown until today because her appearance would only allow her to interpret it until the True Blue era, which is where I find her most similar to Madonna.

Another reason would be that this stage of Madonna's life (before reaching fame) would be the most sincere and honest that we would see and that Madonna herself agrees to tell because since she achieved fame a constant procession of cunningly planned alteregos would begin, becoming one of the factors that have helped her remain relevant to this day and that have made her a rather enigmatic character, turning the question: "Who is the real Madonna?" in a rather difficult riddle to answer.

dfe63bbca56fe952177488489195be09.jpg.8ec712bfd7071d5439de24ec16aadf72.jpg

We seem to be in biopic overload the last few years. Every bugger is doing one. 
This makes it more difficult for M because it seems like she’s running with the pack and she hates that. 
but it also gives her chance to look at what is out there and make decisions.

The difficult balance she has to figure out is the tone between feel good celebration film where people get a real and true understanding and appreciation of who she is vs something profound and arty and non traditional. 

Looking at her projects for the last decade I’m not entirely sure she has the best grip on where that line lies.

She very much seems like she’s in no mood to people please right now more than ever so I really have no idea how this is going to turn out.

In my opinion what she really needs to a perfectly executed Gee Pee smasher. My gut feeling is she will misjudge the vibe and it will be Eurovision part 2. 
Everyone is ready to dance and she starts handing out gas masks. 
#vibecheck

It needs a singular theme and I for one think her billboard speach would be the perfect jump off point. 

On 9/17/2022 at 7:00 PM, steady75 said:

The difficult balance she has to figure out is the tone between feel good celebration film where people get a real and true understanding and appreciation of who she is vs something profound and arty and non traditional.

Totally. I can really sense that challenge looming.

I think there's a way to do a bit of both. She has good instincts but has been hit or miss for years now, so it's unnerving.

8 hours ago, Vasili said:

Totally. As someone who's studied her for decades, as many of us have, I can really sense that challenge looming.

I think there's a way to do a bit of both. She has good instincts but has been hit or miss for years now, so it's unnerving.

She has good instincts for music and fashion.... she's never had good instincts for movies and the film industry in general. Quite the opposite, she fundamentally doesn't understand how the movie industry works.

21 hours ago, Vogue Italia said:

Madonna attended Kid Cudi's concert a few days ago. Maybe she wants to cast him as Jean-Michel Basquiat. Cudi sort of resembles him and they're both Afro-Latino.

Fcjc7sJWQAAqmQv?format=jpg&name=medium

tumblr_omcxhkGwO81v1z098o1_640.jpg

Kid+Cudi+GQ+Men+Year+Party+Arrivals+4M8a

tumblr_ncnx45swwt1rtmfq0o1_500.jpg

E_Q04J6XoAAWW5G?format=jpg&name=large

It looked like he paid homage to M at the CFDA Fashion Awards last year

Kid+Cudi+2021+CFDA+Fashion+Awards+yqNB1-

b460a492ae368e01cd5b0bf3569904a1ea709578

f87aed04d1420db059bd0c221d2b8fa7fa7c9d20

c195321be1e13e334acb5c025dcd19acb25eb1ed

48d5061b47c81c08ace57663e95df4c90cfa99d1

Damn you are so right ! They actually do look so alike !!!

• RUADJAI changed the title to The Biopic; Untitled  
  • RUADJAI unpinned this topic