The Biopic; Untitled  

RUADJAI

On 2/5/2022 at 4:17 PM, Alpha said:

Not rude just amazed by comments like "shes too thirsty for it" or "did madonna even smoke?" Or like yours which was pretty funny about being skinny. Me being rude would be me name calling but thats a bit too on the nose IMO.

People who are rude never see themselves that way. I perceived it as rude and it hurt my feelings, but you obviously could care less. I don’t see what’s funny about saying she is too skinny. It’s my perception and it prevents me from visualizing her as Madonna. IMO 

43 minutes ago, Glindathegood said:

People who are rude never see themselves that way. I perceived it as rude and it hurt my feelings, but you obviously could care less. I don’t see what’s funny about saying she is too skinny. It’s my perception and it prevents me from visualizing her as Madonna. IMO 

Well if thats what you consider rude then you've lived a very sheltered life to be hurt by such an innocuous response but alas perception is reality i suppose.

13 minutes ago, musicinferno said:

Hopefully with MJ getting a biopic, this will make her work faster. You know she'll want hers released first. 

ohhh how will they do this , i take it they will start from childhood up to thriller ..i cant imagine them going into the whole white skin and child abuse allegations ..

This year biopics of Elvis Presley, Whitney Houston and the Bee Gees are supposed to be released. I wouldn't be surprised if Madonna keeps an eye on how they work to decide if she does a movie or a series.

The biopics of Aretha Franklin, Lady Diana and King Richard were flops, if the biopics coming out this year go the same way, it'll be time to do a series unless she want to wait and see if MJ can revive interest in the genre.

In the event that she wants to wait and the MJ's biopic turns out to be a success, it wouldn't seem like a bad idea to try to replicate what happened with Bohemian Rhapsody and Rocketman, Elton's biopic would have done much worse if it hadn't been released after Bohemian Rhapsody, taking advantage of all the hype that the film created around the biopics.

Obviously no one knows how MJ's biopic will work out, it can be a big success or a big flop, he's very controversial.

1 hour ago, Pootz333 said:

I will keep screaming "Autobiography" til I'm true blue baby I love you in the face. Make it like Stephen king's The Stand. 5000 pages and nothing less. I want mooooore.gif

There was a rumor she was also going to do one along side the film or shortly after but it hasnt been mentioned since.

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

There was a rumor she was also going to do one along side the film or shortly after but it hasnt been mentioned since.

I'll take it either way. But it makes much more sense to do it before and then base the film on it. She will give the hardcore stans exactly what they want and make a fuck ton of money from it (so she can finance music videos again and pay the people sleeping on her floor for photoshoots. Jk/not really).

And can then do a film for the ~GP~ if she's still set on a film. I just cannot believe we're skipping an M autobiography and going straight to a movie. Doing a book after seems a little strange/ a missed opportunity. *whispers* Although that has been a running theme of the last decade or 2 in Madonnaland....

1 hour ago, Pootz333 said:

I'll take it either way. But it makes much more sense to do it before and then base the film on it. She will give the hardcore stans exactly what they want and make a fuck ton of money from it (so she can finance music videos again and pay the people sleeping on her floor for photoshoots. Jk/not really).

And can then do a film for the ~GP~ if she's still set on a film. I just cannot believe we're skipping an M autobiography and going straight to a movie. Doing a book after seems a little strange/ a missed opportunity. *whispers* Although that has been a running theme of the last decade or 2 in Madonnaland....

From what the rumor made it seem like was that she obviously cannot fit everything into a movie so the autobiography would tell a more complete story. Alas rumors pop up and disappear so who knows. I personally would rather have a film than a series or a book. I'm team Madonna on this and would've never expected an autobiopic lol but she always surprises me and i can definitely say shes always kept my interest.

• RUADJAI changed the title to The Biopic; Untitled   **Spoilers**
On 2/9/2022 at 2:59 PM, Ccgen said:

This year biopics of Elvis Presley, Whitney Houston and the Bee Gees are supposed to be released. I wouldn't be surprised if Madonna keeps an eye on how they work to decide if she does a movie or a series.

The biopics of Aretha Franklin, Lady Diana and King Richard were flops, if the biopics coming out this year go the same way, it'll be time to do a series unless she want to wait and see if MJ can revive interest in the genre.

In the event that she wants to wait and the MJ's biopic turns out to be a success, it wouldn't seem like a bad idea to try to replicate what happened with Bohemian Rhapsody and Rocketman, Elton's biopic would have done much worse if it hadn't been released after Bohemian Rhapsody, taking advantage of all the hype that the film created around the biopics.

Obviously no one knows how MJ's biopic will work out, it can be a big success or a big flop, he's very controversial.

I'd prefer a series but I can't imagine that after two years of writing a screenplay that she would change it to series based on the reception of other films. I don't know the box office numbers for the movies you mentioned, but Respect has a few NAACP nomination and a Screen Actors Guild Award nomination. King Richard is up for 5 Oscar nominations, including Best Actor, Best Original Screenplay and Best Picture. That sounds successful to me. We are still in the midst of a global pandemic, with the exception of a few recent films I don't think people are flocking to the movies like in the past. I'm sure M would love for this film to generate positive reviews from critics and to get recognized by the Academy.

The forthcoming MJ biopic is being produced by Graham King who did Bohemian Rhapsody. I'm guessing It'll probably be 2 years before that is released since there was no news of when it goes into production. M's film is supposed to go into production this year. There is a new biopic on Jean-Michel Basquiat going into production this fall. The only announced the Basquiat film last month but they've already cast the starring role. Meanwhile, M announced her film in 2020 and we are still waiting for news on who will portray her!

2 hours ago, Vogue Italia said:

I'd prefer a series but I can't imagine that after two years of writing a screenplay that she would change it to series based on the reception of other films. I don't know the box office numbers for the movies you mentioned, but Respect has a few NAACP nomination and a Screen Actors Guild Award nomination. King Richard is up for 5 Oscar nominations, including Best Actor, Best Original Screenplay and Best Picture. That sounds successful to me. We are still in the midst of a global pandemic, with the exception of a few recent films I don't think people are flocking to the movies like in the past. I'm sure M would love for this film to generate positive reviews from critics and to get recognized by the Academy.

The forthcoming MJ biopic is being produced by Graham King who did Bohemian Rhapsody. I'm guessing It'll probably be 2 years before that is released since there was no news of when it goes into production. M's film is supposed to go into production this year. There is a new biopic on Jean-Michel Basquiat going into production this fall. The only announced the Basquiat film last month but they've already cast the starring role. Meanwhile, M announced her film in 2020 and we are still waiting for news on who will portray her!

I understand what you're saying but even taking into account the global pandemic and the Oscar nominations... I can't see these numbers as anything other than flop:

King Richard
Budget: 50M
Box Office: 33.4M

Respect
Budget: 55M
Box Office: 31.8M

Spencer
Budget: 18M
Box Office: 19.9M

I know that Madonna is not a big-grossing movie star and expectations are low but those numbers are disastrous, if her box office is going to be something like that, I prefer the biopic to remain in an eternal "soon" phase...

12 hours ago, Vogue Italia said:

Well that is probably because the Madonna biopic was announced very early, before the thing was even written.

On 2/4/2022 at 8:24 PM, yeezuslovesmypussybest said:

I was just rewatching the IG live with Diablo from September 2020 and noticed how they said they were on 107 pages at that point, and I believe they later finished the script at 133 pages?

I suppose this would confirm the biopic will close with Lola / possibly Ray of Light, since page 107 was recording Evita. 

I really hope she seriously considers a series. 35 years of stories told in 120 minutes vs unlimited 60-minute episodes focusing on each period of her life? It's a no-brainer. In terms of relevance and cultural impact, I 100% believe a Netflix deal will make more noise than a film premiere, regardless of the actress. And we already know her film career is cursed.

A series would also instantly compare her to The Crown rather than Elton, Freddie and the Cher biopic that's in the works. And not to be dramatic, but if there is any other woman deserving of 'The Crown' treatment it is literally Madonna. Plus, The Crown format is still fresh while biopics are already considered to be overdone and tired.

Not to mention so much of her impact and legacy is centred around imagery - clothes, hairstyles, photoshoots, video looks, tours etc. You couldn't pack 20% of that into 120 minutes with a lot of those minutes already dedicated to her childhood, family, pre-Madonna days, AIDS epidemic, marriages, boyfriends, pregnancies etc. The math really ain't mathing.

Her story deserves extensive detail - Giving time to every era, every iconic single, every album, iconic performances and tours, as well as everything else. The way she evolved, reinvented, her impact on culture and feminism, the backlash she received, the comebacks she orchestrated.... just can't be condensed.

A series is the unconventional option and more of a risk, but with much greater reward imo.

For ages I didn’t think so but I’m starting to agree. Film biopics are overdone now, everyone is doing one. A series would really engross people in the Madonna character through all her different career phases. Even if it’s just 8-10 episodes in total that would be plenty. It would give people more of a chance to understand and relate to her as a character too. A film will just come and go and people will move on.

Sure a film holds more artistic merit and of course she will eyeing off the Oscars. But let’s be real, it will be hard to really make something that will capture critics with Madonna as director. She is better to focus on what matters most. Which is reigniting interest in her music career and legacy.

4 hours ago, Blue Jean said:

For ages I didn’t think so but I’m starting to agree. Film biopics are overdone now, everyone is doing one. A series would really engross people in the Madonna character through all her different career phases. A film will just come and go and people will move on.

A film is definitely a risk... a TV series on a big streaming platform is more easily accessible and can create more interest easily. Plus, it's immune to disappointing opening numbers that reduce the number of cinemas showing a movie in the following weeks.

Even if the reviews are disappointing, the TV series is till available to everyone, and it costs nothing to take a look. Cinema takes a much bigger effort. 

• RUADJAI changed the title to The Biopic; Untitled  
  • RUADJAI unpinned this topic