The Biopic; Untitled  

RUADJAI

That Whitney biopic is completely miscast. And any Whitney biopic with direct involvement of Clive Davis and her family is going to be completely whitewashed. I will be very surprised if it does well at the box office.

I hope I live to see someone who can really embody her, tell her story warts and all, but still celebrate her. 

I loved the Whitney film. I think the actress did a great job. If you’ve seen the “Being Bobby Brown” reality show then you’ll see she captured Whitney really well. However, it’s hard to fit a lifetime into 2 hours. I don’t think a 2 hour film would do justice to Madonna. Her career has been too huge. She really needs a Netflix series and it’s sad her team seemed to discourage that. But seeing the Whitney film got me excited for what could come with a Madonna film. 

1 hour ago, planetbenjamin said:

I loved the Whitney film. I think the actress did a great job. If you’ve seen the “Being Bobby Brown” reality show then you’ll see she captured Whitney really well. However, it’s hard to fit a lifetime into 2 hours. I don’t think a 2 hour film would do justice to Madonna. Her career has been too huge. She really needs a Netflix series and it’s sad her team seemed to discourage that. But seeing the Whitney film got me excited for what could come with a Madonna film. 

Haven't seen the Whitney film, but I look forward to seeing it.  I agree it's hard to fit a iconic career into 2 hours.  Madonna deserves a featured film, and that's why I'm mixed on a series.  Like you mentioned,  a story on her, deserves more than just a 2 hour film.  So many iconic moments to share.  I got the impression she was interested in the idea of doing a series, but her deal is for a featured film.  A featured film will probably gain more attention, while a Netflix series may get lost in the shuffle. I'm glad she's telling it and she's supposedly directing it.  There have been plenty of unauthorized books and specials on her, we deserve to see her side of things.  There is so much more she can tell us and give insight on then anyone else telling her story. 

4 hours ago, tscott said:

A featured film will probably gain more attention, while a Netflix series may get lost in the shuffle.

I think it's the other way around, a TV series could be a bigger success and could massively influence sales/streams of her hits. It would stay online for a long time and wouldn't depend just on the opening week numbers like the movies. Successful TV shows do huge numbers nowadays, it would be the ideal marketing strategy for a musician. Just imagine the streaming numbers after important scenes featuring music.

Also, direction is not so heavily scrutinized in TV shows, and most shows are directed by more than one director, so it would make M's job much easier. The team is crazy not to consider this as the best option.

10 minutes ago, androiduser said:

I think it's the other way around, a TV series could be a bigger success and could massively influence sales/streams of her hits. It would stay online for a long time and wouldn't depend just on the opening week numbers like the movies. Successful TV shows do huge numbers nowadays, it would be the ideal marketing strategy for a musician. Just imagine the streaming numbers after important scenes featuring music.

A film will be much nicer tho, most people won't care to watch 5 episodes about Madonna. 1 and a half hour is enough tho. A good trailer will be enough.

2 hours ago, Régine Filange said:

A film will be much nicer tho, most people won't care to watch 5 episodes about Madonna. 1 and a half hour is enough tho. A good trailer will be enough.

at the same time, you don't have to leave your home to watch the series and people might take a look even if they're not super interested.... you have to put much more of an effort to go watch the movie in the cinema

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, sara94 said:

Am i the only one who wants her to release a memoir instead of the biopic. Or at least drop the book and the movie later. 

No me too !

A huge book would be perfect. 

A biopic is an extremely bad idea for me ! 90% of biopics are shitty movies. I think it's ridiculous to ask someone play the part of someone we've all seen on footages for years. It's a stupid imitation that never satisfies me. I prefer watching documentaries with real footage instead of a stupid imitation of this footage.

Most ridiculous thing for me was the Bohemian rhapsody Queen biopic = they spent millions to reproduce the Live Aids with every single moves reproduced by the (very good) actor... Come on... Just take the original 1985 footage !!! There's more vibration seeing the real Queen show instead of an imitation with an actor that is too cute to play Freddy Mercury...

I cannot imagine being comfortable watching someone playing Madonna's life. I just love Madonna herself. Not someone acting like her. It's just not interesting for me... This is my only point of view but, yes...  A book with different volume according to eras, written, even co-written by M would definitely satisfying me so so much. So you can imagine directly according to what she'd wrote.

I hope this movie will fail...

21 minutes ago, Pootz333 said:

So what do we think happened?

a lot of movies end up in so called "development hell" and either never end up being made, or the production continues years or even decades later. Biopics are a bit overdone at this point, Madonna is not an established director and maybe the project became overwhelming for everyone involved, so Madonna decided to go on tour, and Universal will probably try to develop the movie with another director at a later date.

• RUADJAI changed the title to The Biopic; Untitled  

Update

Madonna's massive biopic project is no longer moving forward.

The 64-year-old "Express Yourself" superstar, who had been hard at work penning the script for her biopic for years, will no longer be developing her movie at Universal Pictures, sources confirmed to Variety on Tuesday (January 24).

Julia Garner was attached to star in the project.

The movie made headlines because of all the actresses and singers who auditioned to be part of the film.

Speculation that the movie might have been shelved happened once she announced her greatest hits tour, the Celebration Tour, for 2023. The tour has already sold out in several venues across the world.

"Insiders familiar with Madonna said her sole focus is the tour, but she remains committed to making a film about her life one day," the outlet reports.

There has been such a demand for Madonna‘s upcoming tour that the Queen of Pop