The Biopic; Untitled  

RUADJAI

I find the idea of ending at ROL Grammys the most un-Madonna idea ever and quite dumb (no offense). Madonna has never placed value in awards, much less the Grammys. Also by the time the film is released in 2023, 1998 will have been 25 years. Not only did she have bigger hits after 1998, her personal life would also have changed drastically. She's always been the underdog and fought sexism that showing her life in her 50s/60s would be a much better full circle moment especially involving her work in Malawi and her fight against AIDS there along with ageism. Showing her friends dying of AIDS in the 80s/90s then her continuing that is a very personal and a common theme in her music.

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

I find the idea of ending at ROL Grammys the most un-Madonna idea ever and quite dumb (no offense). Madonna has never placed value in awards, much less the Grammys. Also by the time the film is released in 2023, 1998 will have been 25 years. Not only did she have bigger hits after 1998, her personal life would also have changed drastically. She's always been the underdog and fought sexism that showing her life in her 50s/60s would be a much better full circle moment especially involving her work in Malawi and her fight against AIDS there along with ageism. Showing her friends dying of AIDS in the 80s/90s then her continuing that is a very personal and a common theme in her music.

Yeah but do they really have enough space in a two hour movie to cover that big of a time period? I would prefer narrower focus that is actually quality story telling rather than trying to cram too much information into a single movie which will make everything feel disjointed.

Edited by Blond Ambition (see edit history)

4 hours ago, Blond Ambition said:

Yeah but do they really have enough space in a two hour movie to cover that big of a time period? I would prefer narrower focus that is actually quality story telling rather than trying to cram too much information into a single movie which will make everything feel disjointed.

That's exactly my point. What sense does the story make if it ends with her turning 40? It's going to be her life story not an era by era recreation of her music. The common thread to her music is empowerment and what better way than to show not only how she empowered herself but also supporting those in need. The grammys mean absolute shit to her, to me, and to most people nowadays much less what people think when they hear the name Madonna. 

13 minutes ago, Alpha said:

That's exactly my point. What sense does the story make if it ends with her turning 40? It's going to be her life story not an era by era recreation of her music. The common thread to her music is empowerment and what better way than to show not only how she empowered herself but also supporting those in need. The grammys mean absolute shit to her, to me, and to most people nowadays much less what people think when they hear the name Madonna. 

It would make sense to end the movie with her in present day, to highlight her fight against ageism, imagine even her appearing in the movie at the end as herself in the present! 

But I honestly think it will follow the same formula of other biopics, basically showing just a specific span of her lifetime, concluding with an iconic moment in the past (which might be her comeback with confessions as they mentioned the film will probably cover her career at least till the 2003 VMA kiss) 

Mounting the boom box at the end of The Confessions Tour with the Lucky Star Hung Up moment always felt like the proper full circle moment of Madonna’s career. Flashback sequences throughout her life to fade. That’s my closing scene. 

“Time goes by so slowly”

Everything else since 2005 has felt like like self commentary on her career. She says she never looks back but she really did start to from Hard Candy and became persistently self referential and recycled in part.  

1 hour ago, steady75 said:

Mounting the boom box at the end of The Confessions Tour with the Lucky Star Hung Up moment always felt like the proper full circle moment of Madonna’s career. Flashback sequences throughout her life to fade. That’s my closing scene. 

This scene alone would be Oscar worthy, idc it needs to happen Excited Katy Perry GIF by Katy Perry GIF Party

I think they could show her in the present day and do an update, but not go into detail about every thing that happened between 1998 and 2021. Because there won’t be time for all of that. 
They could start off showing Madonna playing herself with her kids and do the movie as a flashback with her looking back on her life and how she got where she is today. 

6 minutes ago, RUADJAI said:

The more I think about it the more I think there's not enough time for this. If they make it to Erotica I'll be surprised. 

I think your right, I just dont see how we are gonna get from the start of her career till the year 2000 in a two hour movie, there is simply too much to cover and I would prefer a more specific approach to the biopic. We need to remember that not everyone going to be watching this is a super fan that knows everything about Madonna, what is most important is that its a good movie, not that they include every detail or reinvention of her career.

9 hours ago, steady75 said:

“Time goes by so slowly”

Everything else since 2005 has felt like like self commentary on her career. She says she never looks back but she really did start to from Hard Candy and became persistently self referential and recycled in part.  

I think that it makes more sense then because it definitely makes it full circle. Someone awhile back mentioned it should end with her billboard speech in 2016. I like that idea, or maybe ending with her speech at the GLAAD awards because it does feel like you say as self referential and could tie everything together with a nice big bow. I am beyond excited for this.

On 10/22/2021 at 11:59 PM, Alpha said:

I understand your point of view, but I think ROL is a good ending point because it was like her rebirth. I rather her have a solid focus on 1978-1998 so we get some revealing details and they don't rush over scenarios. If they try to include more eras it'll be too much to cram into a 2 hour movie. I said the movie should end around the Grammys so it ends on high because I'm sure they'll be a lot of dark moments, but it doesn't have to end exactly at the Grammys. It can be a little before or a little after.

The second half of her career is another movie, in fact each era can be a movie in itself. I'm thinking there might be an accompanying documentary to cover events that don't make it to the film. As I previously said a series would be ideal after the film. Then they can cover up to present day, but for a movie you need something that will sell. It is un-Madonna to cater to the masses but as the director and writer of the film she doesn't want it to flop. M is business savvy she has said on Instagram that she has tickets to sell for this film so she is aware that she is catering to the general public, not just her hardcore fanbase.

On 10/23/2021 at 12:25 PM, RUADJAI said:

The more I think about it the more I think there's not enough time for this. If they make it to Erotica I'll be surprised. 

We know it at least makes it to Evita because she revealed that during her Instagram Live session with Diablo Cody last year.

Madonna reveals plot details for biopic movie: Andy Warhol, 'Vogue' dancers, Evita, more

Among notable moments in Madonna's life that the current screenplay covers are her time filming the controversial film Evita, which she reveals led to an unpleasant experience with Andrew Lloyd Webber during the production of the movie adaptation of his stage musical: "I think I had a few nervous breakdowns worrying that I was going to be fired every day," she said, further revealing in response to a fan question that, "No, [Andrew] wasn't, he was not nice to me. I'm not sure he even wanted me in the movie." (In a statement to EW, a spokesman for Webber said: "She must have Andrew confused with somebody else. Andrew and Madonna had a very smooth and productive working relationship on the Evita film.")

7 hours ago, Luci nln said:

I understand your point of view, but I think ROL is a good ending point because it was like her rebirth. I rather her have a solid focus on 1978-1998 so we get some revealing details and they don't rush over scenarios. If they try to include more eras it'll be too much to cram into a 2 hour movie. I said the movie should end around the Grammys so it ends on high because I'm sure they'll be a lot of dark moments, but it doesn't have to end exactly at the Grammys. It can be a little before or a little after.

The second half of her career is another movie, in fact each era can be a movie in itself. I'm thinking there might be an accompanying documentary to cover events that don't make it to the film. As I previously said a series would be ideal after the film. Then they can cover up to present day, but for a movie you need something that will sell. It is un-Madonna to cater to the masses but as the director and writer of the film she doesn't want it to flop. M is business savvy she has said on Instagram that she has tickets to sell for this film so she is aware that she is catering to the general public, not just her hardcore fanbase.

We know it at least makes it to Evita because she revealed that during her Instagram Live session with Diablo Cody last year.

Madonna reveals plot details for biopic movie: Andy Warhol, 'Vogue' dancers, Evita, more

Among notable moments in Madonna's life that the current screenplay covers are her time filming the controversial film Evita, which she reveals led to an unpleasant experience with Andrew Lloyd Webber during the production of the movie adaptation of his stage musical: "I think I had a few nervous breakdowns worrying that I was going to be fired every day," she said, further revealing in response to a fan question that, "No, [Andrew] wasn't, he was not nice to me. I'm not sure he even wanted me in the movie." (In a statement to EW, a spokesman for Webber said: "She must have Andrew confused with somebody else. Andrew and Madonna had a very smooth and productive working relationship on the Evita film.")

Nah thats still very anti-madonna and makes it look as if that was her last career high and biggest personal success. I definitely dont expect every era explored but a much more general life story and ending at ROL is such an incomplete view as to who she is. It needs to have a conflict which i would assume is going to be sexism and ultimately ageism along with connecting it to the messages in her music and ROL is just another era in the scheme of things and her career. David describing it as honest gives me the impression that this movie isnt going to be her bragging about commercial success.

3 hours ago, Alpha said:

Nah thats still very anti-madonna and makes it look as if that was her last career high and biggest personal success. I definitely dont expect every era explored but a much more general life story and ending at ROL is such an incomplete view as to who she is. It needs to have a conflict which i would assume is going to be sexism and ultimately ageism along with connecting it to the messages in her music and ROL is just another era in the scheme of things and her career. David describing it as honest gives me the impression that this movie isnt going to be her bragging about commercial success.

Yeah but in my opinion, these successful biopic movies seem to always end on a triumphant high note and Ray of Light achieves that purpose. Its not like there was not tons of drama and conflict for her to get to that point, including sexism and being raped in New York among loads of other things. I have always pictured the movie opening with a scene of Express Yourself from Truth or Dare because it perfectly sums up who Madonna is but will also get people excited and into the movie right away. Then using flashback to show how she got to that point and then resuming story from there up to Ray of Light. Not only does that album bring her story all the way around as a sort of triumphant rebirth, it also is a very personal and emotional creation that would make for a great ending to the film. The fight against ageism and her charity work feels incomplete because it is. I think the idea of covering her life into the 2000's is logistically impossible within two hours and would be a big mistake from a story perspective. I have always thought ending at Ray of Light is perfect, it feels like the end of one story and the start of another which could play into a movie part two if the biopic meets with box office success.

Edited by Blond Ambition (see edit history)

I think career-wise, they will cover the first album, Like a Virgin (fame, marriage) , Like a prayer (controversy, divorce), Vogue, Blond Ambition/Justify my love/Erotica, Evita (Golden Globe, pregnancy), Ray of light (motherhood, followed by second marriage), MDNA (Second divorce, adoptions) and end with the Superbowl. 

The focus is on he private life and social activism. The eras from her career that will appear will be the ones that are the most relevant to her story. They won't spend 10 minutes talking about Something to Remember or Hung Up. 

38 minutes ago, Roland Barthes said:

I just hope it won't be a litteral biopic like some hallmark movie. Since she's directing it herself she does not to do that but rather use it as a way to re-explain her sense of purpose from when she was born to this day and she never drifted. 

she most certainly will not do this cheap 

• RUADJAI changed the title to The Biopic; Untitled  
  • RUADJAI unpinned this topic