The Biopic; Untitled  

RUADJAI

It has been announced that a new Basquiat biopic is expected to begin filming this fall. It's titled "Samo Lives" and Kelvin Harrison Jr. has been cast to play him. Surely, his relationship with M will be included. I wonder who will portray her in this and who will portray Basquiat in hers. Heck, we're still waiting to see who will star in her own biopic and she announced this in 2020! Now that her vacation is over maybe we'll get an announcement soon about the cast and title of the film.

A New Jean-Michel Basquiat Biopic Is on the Way

DYCRTPQ4ZFFD3LSMZ5Q3XWG5PI.jpg

Edited by Vogue Italia (see edit history)

5 hours ago, Glindathegood said:

Another movie about Basquiat? There have been quite a few, documentaries and with actors! 

There has been a few documentaries using footage of Basquiat himself, but only one movie, which was released in 1996. The movie had a nice cast, Jeffrey Wright as Basquiat and David Bowie as Warhol, but there were a lot of fabrications. It was more of a movie inspired by Basquiat rather than his story. I see it as a vanity project by Julian Schnabel who made himself more important in Basquiat's life than he actually was, so I'm glad they're doing another movie.

On 1/8/2022 at 1:55 PM, Vogue Italia said:

There has been a few documentaries using footage of Basquiat himself, but only one movie, which was released in 1996. The movie had a nice cast, Jeffrey Wright as Basquiat and David Bowie as Warhol, but there were a lot of fabrications. It was more of a movie inspired by Basquiat rather than his story. I see it as a vanity project by Julian Schnabel who made himself more important in Basquiat's life than he actually was, so I'm glad they're doing another movie.

I thought the Basquiat movie was quite good. I don’t think it was a vanity project, it was very well done. Does this new movie have the approval of Basquiat’s family?  They are organizing a big exhibit in Chelsea in NYC this spring. 

5 hours ago, Glindathegood said:

I thought the Basquiat movie was quite good. I don’t think it was a vanity project, it was very well done. Does this new movie have the approval of Basquiat’s family?  They are organizing a big exhibit in Chelsea in NYC this spring. 

Vanity project may be a bit harsh, but the movie received mixed reviews. I don't think it was a bad movie, but it wasn't an accurate portrayal of Basquiat's life and I felt it was more of an ego boost for Schnabel. Basquiat's family were opposed the movie and refused to let Schnabel use any of his paintings, so Schnabel recreated Basquiat-like paintings for the film.

The review by Brooks Adams in Art in America pretty much sums up what I think of the movie.

"Basquiat can be seen as a huge, lurking self-portrait of the artist-Schnabel, not Basquiat. So laden is the film with the innumerable coincidences of Basquiat and Schnabel's enthusiasms (among others, for pajamas and surfing) that the movie should be more appropriately called My Basquiat... To a remarkable degree, the movie succeeds, by dint of its authorial slant, in popularizing the myth of Basquiat as a young, gorgeous, doomed, yet ultimately transcendent black male artist, even as it extends and reinflates the myth of Schnabel as a protean, Picassoid white male painter... Yet for all one's apprehension about the very idea of Schnabel making such a film, Basquiat turns out to be a surprisingly good movie...It is also an art work"

I think his family has approved of this new film. His sisters are now the executors of his estate and they have been more lenient than their father who died in 2013. It seems like a major topic in this film will be his cultural background and relationship with his family, that was kind of nonexistent in the 1996 film. The director Julius Onah said in a statement: "Never have we seen the full spectrum of Basquiat's incredible life as a Black artist and a child of the immigrant African diaspora. And the richness and nuance of his journey is a story worthy of celebration." It'll be interesting to see this take on his life from a Black director.

29 minutes ago, Alpha said:

What makes her more likely to play debi lol and why would she post that if it was just for debi? 

Maybe because she resembles Debi. Julia has been getting compared to her for years. M is casting and directing the film herself so she will probably post about other cast in the film, not just the actress portraying her.

https://pagesix.com/2020/05/21/uncut-gems-star-julia-fox-knows-she-looks-like-debi-mazar/

‘Uncut Gems’ star Julia Fox knows she looks like Debi Mazar

Julia Fox is well aware she looks like Debi Mazar.

The “Uncut Gems” star, 30, opened up to Page Six about the comparison and how she’s bonded with the “Younger” star about it.

“Everybody,” she said when asked if anyone has brought it up to her. “[Mazar] has said it, too, so we’ve liked talked about that, which I thought was so f–king cool. She was like, ‘You could be my younger sister or daughter,’ and I was like, ‘Oh my God … queen!'”

It’s something Fox might never get used. “That’s a really awesome vibe to have,” she said.

Mazar gushed when hearing Fox’s comments.

“I am seriously flattered! I think Julia Fox is Incredibly talented and gorgeous!” the 55-year-old star told Page Six via email.

“Although we have never met in person, through her images and performances, I can see that we share the same Joie de vivre!”

The “Goodfellas” actress said when quarantine ends and film productions resume, she’d love to work with Fox.

“I’m happy to play her mother, big sis, or we can be in the same girl gang :),” she wrote

julia-fox-debi-mazar.jpg?quality=80&stri

julia-fox-attends-the-premiere-of-a24s-u

julia-fox-promo.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Vogue Italia said:

Maybe because she resembles Debi. Julia has been getting compared to her for years. M is casting and directing the film herself so she will probably post about other cast in the film, not just the actress portraying her.

https://pagesix.com/2020/05/21/uncut-gems-star-julia-fox-knows-she-looks-like-debi-mazar/

‘Uncut Gems’ star Julia Fox knows she looks like Debi Mazar

Julia Fox is well aware she looks like Debi Mazar.

The “Uncut Gems” star, 30, opened up to Page Six about the comparison and how she’s bonded with the “Younger” star about it.

“Everybody,” she said when asked if anyone has brought it up to her. “[Mazar] has said it, too, so we’ve liked talked about that, which I thought was so f–king cool. She was like, ‘You could be my younger sister or daughter,’ and I was like, ‘Oh my God … queen!'”

It’s something Fox might never get used. “That’s a really awesome vibe to have,” she said.

Mazar gushed when hearing Fox’s comments.

“I am seriously flattered! I think Julia Fox is Incredibly talented and gorgeous!” the 55-year-old star told Page Six via email.

“Although we have never met in person, through her images and performances, I can see that we share the same Joie de vivre!”

The “Goodfellas” actress said when quarantine ends and film productions resume, she’d love to work with Fox.

“I’m happy to play her mother, big sis, or we can be in the same girl gang :),” she wrote

julia-fox-debi-mazar.jpg?quality=80&stri

julia-fox-attends-the-premiere-of-a24s-u

julia-fox-promo.jpeg

That's all well and good but out of ALL characters/people to hint at first...debi first? Such a random pivot. I'm still not convinced. And yes, we all know M is casting and directing herself lol we shall see what happens. Other than herself im curious as to who will play Sean. 

• RUADJAI changed the title to The Biopic; Untitled  
  • RUADJAI unpinned this topic