Anyone else share my mom's experience...?

Kae-Leah Williamson

My mom was born in 1965, so she was in her late teens/early 20s during M's first peak, so of course most people of her generation would have been aware of her then, but my mom has zero memory of her until around the Blonde Ambition Tour/Truth or Dare era circa 1990. My mom didn't own her own stereo or radio and her job was baby-sittting my cousins for long hours so she was around just babies and toddlers all day, and when she was around people her own age they were mostly ultra-conservative church types who didn't listen to secular music at all. As a millennial who would love to time travel back to 1985 and see "Madonna mania" and the wannabes first hand, I find it sad that she lived in 1985 and missed it. She likes M now, especially her '80s stuff, but she swears she wasn't aware of her at the time. Anyone else here had an experience like that, that they were alive when M first hit it big, but somehow managed to "miss" it? How unusual was my mom's experience of not being aware of her in the mid-'80s? 

I remember her being played on the radio alot and the British press always had pages of articles from her wedding etc so when she landed at Heathrow for Who,s That Girl Tour it was like Beatlemania. Smash Hits magazine kept me up to date before MTV had their Madonna weekends

Might really depend on the environment you grew up in and lived in back then... I was born in 1966, and I am pretty sure that everyone here knew about Madonna (In Denmark)... I even knew about her before she became famous... remember reading reviews of her first album... stating that it was great, but that it most likely would get ignored... what it in fact was until Like a virgin.