The Top Three Madonna VIDEOS That Best Represents Her and Her Career

Voguerista

Hi again. Yesterday you were asked to name THREE of Madonna's albums (excluding her greatest hits) that best represent her and her career as a whole at this time (If you didn't answer with your choices, he sure to do so HERE.). In continuing this series of questions...Question #2: If you were to name THREE of Madonna's VIDEOS that best represent her and her career as a whole at this time, which videos would you choose and why? (If you can't stop at three, you can name more)

I'm going with Like A Prayer (for the power, for the controversy, and just everything about it!!), Vogue (for the fun and dancing. It's just iconic!), and ....hmmmm, this is tough as there is so many iconic videos.... ok, I'll go with HUNG UP (she revived her career with this song and video. So youthful, sexy, and fun)!

PS: Watch tomorrow for a SINGLES post in the same series.

This is totally FUN! & sorry it’s very hard to choose only 3, so I’ll do 7?

- Like A Virgin (this video screams MADONNA) 

- Like A Prayer (the definition of the rebel MADONNA)

- Express Yourself (timeless video with huge impact)

- Vogue (this video is everyone’s favorite & also the definition of MADONNA)

- Frozen (she introduced eastern culture in a unique way, just like Vogue it’s everyone’s favorite)

- Don’t Tell Me (Iconic & timeless)

- Hung Up (another & probably the last from M that really did huge impact globally) ??

Like a Virgin  Whore and Madonna, she can be both, playing with these stereotypes, deconstructing them

Express Yourself  For Madonna gender is a put-on. The way she parodies the big boss

Justify My Love  At a time when society is becoming very conservative Madonna opens the door (as well as her coat) She/him/her in a postmodern age, doing nothing but making love

• Like a Prayer - Because it represents her controversy surrounding the church.
  • Express Yourself - Because, well, she expresses herself so well! (And it's a kick-ass video!)
  • Justify My Love - Because, in my honest opinion, this is M at her sexiest and let's face it, without sexuality there'd be no Madonna.

Material Girl: The Marilyn imagery that would be synonymous with the first decade of her career considering her looks were largely old Hollywood glamour-inspired up to Erotica (plus the nickname that the press will use even after she dies. I'm not ready to read or hear "the Late Material Girl,").

Like a Prayer: Religious imagery, burning crosses, black saints, Pepsi controversy. Religion would be a recurring source of imagery (LTT performance on the cross on CT, the opening to the MDNA Tour).

Justify My Love: Sexual imagery, bisexuality, threesomes, BDSM, more controversy, could be representative of that whole period of her career (1990-1994) plus another source of recurring imagery.

Honourable mentions: Vogue (the Dance Queen/ LGBTQ advocate), Frozen (the mysterious, spiritual ethereal girl), Hung Up (the disco party girl).

Really hard to say the videos that really represents Madonna as all of her videos represent a part of her but the three that I would show that would tell about her career and life would be.

Like A Virgin, Like A Prayer, and Justify My Love

It shows that Madonna can be playful with sexuality until developing more into a mature artist

Be OBJECTIVE!

1. Like A Prayer - zero doubts about it.

2. Justify My Love - zero doubts about it.

and the third one is hard. Vouge or Express Yourself, so i can't really go with one only so i have to put 4.

3. Vouge

4. Express Yourself

Erotica as a video it's less important than SEX book so I rejected it. Like A Virgin performance at VMAs is more important that actual video. Bedtime Story it's a honored mention.

Here we go again.

1.Bad Girl: a cinematic, dramatic, erotic mini movie by Mr. Fincher. What else? Louise Oriole is her closest alter ego: high-powered and successful in terms of career, incredibly unlucky in love affairs. A rare example of her most vulnerable and personal side. 

2.Bedtime Story/Frozen: glowing gems in her vaults about synchretism. Bedtime Story summarizes the history of Surrealism in arts, Frozen is a marvelous enigma about religions and eastern cultures. Her artistic manifesto.

3.Dark Ballet: a dystopian and delirious version of Like a Prayer. It takes the original spirit of LAP and reverses it: the attack to the Church is more direct and the most frightning and dramatic aspect of the Roman Catholic Church is showed in all its cruelty. There's no hope, there's not an happy ending. The mirror of the XXI century. A visionary video. Very actual.

Honorable mentions: Drowned World/Substitute for Love, Oh Father: her most personal videos. The mother, the daughter behind the artist. Paradise (Not for Me) video interlude: although it's not a proper video, in my opinion it shows perfectly her ability to channel different concepts in just one art form: this interlude is clearly about death but there are also strong references to Memoirs of a Geisha and Nothing Really Matters

• Fighter unfeatured and featured this topic
  • Fighter unfeatured this topic