The Top Three Madonna SINGLES That Best Represents Her and Her Career

Voguerista

In continuing MI's Madonna's career retrospection posts, here is Question #3: If you were to name THREE of Madonna's SINGLES that best represent her and her career as a whole at this time, which singles would you choose and why? (If you can't stop at three, you can name more). If you didn't answer with your choices for her Albums and Videos , he sure to do so HERE and HERE.

Ok, for my three singles (this is so hard), I'm going with LIKE A PRAYER, RAY OF LIGHT. and MUSIC.....for the iconicness of each one separately, for the differences is sound and writing, and the timeless mark they made on the charts. I also think she had this way of bringing everyone (of all makes of life and the world over) together with each.  If I were to name two more: I'd pick HOLIDAY and VOGUE. I could go on and on. lol

Thanks so much, All! Your answers so far in each thread have been fascinating. :hug::fire::iw:

Impossible to do, but let's go.

1.Like A Prayer - sure.

2.Express Yourself - sure.

3.Ray Of Light.

Surely songs that deserved to be here as well: Like A Virgin, Papa Don't Preach, Justify My Love, Frozen, Holiday, Vouge and Hung Up.

I don't know why you guys mentioning Music (as a song, music video or album) anywhere. It was a hit, but what it changed in the game?

Edited by Mateusz Klimecki (see edit history)

Like a Virgin

Joel D. Schwartz just didn't get her: "The appeal of rock 'n' roll at its best, from Buddy Holly to Bob Dylan to Prince, has always been its sincerity. Madonna, in contrast, wears commitments like costumes to be taken off and on at whim. Everything is a pose (...)" And of course he was worried about the fans, the young girls who flocked in their thousands to the arenas in the spring and summer of 85, ready to sing along with their idol. 

Like a Prayer

What on earth is she singing about? Is it about God or oral sex? Lucy O'Brien has clearly made up her mind, and so have a lot of people. The song is perhaps her very best, and yes, the album is right up there. 

Vogue

She's the perfect pop star for the 90's. She doesn't offer drugs. Instead she invites her listeners to get up and Strike a Pose. Yes, that's what Madonna is about. Her fantasy is your fantasy, and anybody can do it. But please don't take it too seriously. This isn't about Marilyn's struggle with the Fox studio and the way she (and others) were destined for alchohol and sleeping pills. This is about attitude. Beauty's where you finds it, she sings. And in that moment she captures both the spirit and the zeitgeist.

Edited by Erlend (see edit history)

1 minute ago, Pootz333 said:

Secret, Ray of Light, Don't Tell Me

(Perfect pop songs that were hits in their original form but ALSO translated into dance floor monsters via the maxi single format)

I love all those singles and remixes  - I miss the maxi singles - some of her remixes were just as big as the original versions   Junior's mixes of Secret and Sasha's mixes of Ray of Light were huge tracks in their own right 

I'll go with few 'deep cuts':

1.Nothing Fails: a gem. One of the so called songs for Guy, it's a testament of early '00 Madonna: completely absorbed by the European sound and atmosphere, a woman in peace with the world. Lyrically, it's an ode to the spousal love: love as a center of gravity, love as a redeeming experience. It's an unicum in her catalog. It's a pity it didn't get a video. 

2.Deeper and Deeper: who said a dance song can't be meaningful? The first time she incorporates in one of her songs elements from her previous ones and this time the sampled one is quite a breakthrough for her career: Vogue. I have to confess I really adore this song, mainly due to its ambiguous lyrics and video: what are the lyrics about? A research for what? The deeper sense of ourselves or a part of us we can't love? When she says that nothing is what it seems, she's right, since Like a Virgin. 

3.The Power of Goodbye: I'm mad, mad for her ballads, so I had to pick one of them. To explain why I chose this one it's enough listening to the instrumental version: it's not Ambient, it's not electronic, it's an oniric and psychedelic trip, from London to New Delhi. Totally based on Strange Cargo III by Orbit. A stroke of genius.

I voluntarily didn't pick her most successful singles, not because they don't represent her, but they represent a part of her, the most well-known one; I tried to show her hidden side.

1) Like A Prayer 

2) Like A Virgin 

3) Vogue

These three singles are the staples of Madonna's early success and revelance. Those songs would define Madonna's characters throughout her career 

RELIGION, SEX, AND FASHION 

Edited by MadonnaRama (see edit history)