The Top Three Madonna PERFORMANCES That Best Represent Her and Her Career

Voguerista

Ok Guys! We've had threads for the Best Three Singles that represent Madonna's career, the Best Three Videos that represent Madonna's career, and the Best Three Albums that represent Madonna's career. Now what about Madonna's BEST THREE PERFORMANCES that represent her career?? Can't wait to see what you pick? Thanks Guys! Special thanks to @Gâteaufor the idea!!

Here are my choices. I can't get enough:

Madonna's Super bowl Performance

Paris Olympia

Live 8 2005

Ok, here is my list! I’ll do 5 not 3 lol! & I won’t include her tours performances. 

- MTV VMA (1984) her debut worldwide performance which marked her unique identity as an artist. ??

- 63rd Academy Awards (1991) one word “ICONIC”

- MTV VMA (2003) ????

- Live 8 (2005) ...so much energy! ?? 

- Super Bowl (2012) another & I guess the last ICONIC performance by her. Perfection. Timeless. Huge. Breathtaking. I remember that day was so proud to be a MADONNA fan. ?? best day, best year! No one did what she did not before her & not till this day. ?

Top three performances, not tours.

1.Yes there's two no1. because I can't choose just one!

Top Three performances, Tours

honorable mention

The reason why I chose this performance as an honorable mention is because it ironically showed why Madonna has been reigning as the queen of pop for more than 30 years.
I still can't watch this video very well. Because every time I see her fall back down the stairs, my stomach literally gets twisted and hurt. But look at her. She rose from the shock and finished the performance perfectly again as if nothing had happened. She was so perfect that some even said that Madonna's fall was planned. What more do you need to say? This is a perfect example of why Madonna is the queen of pop so far and forever.

Performances that best represent her career:

1. Express Yourself (Blond Ambition Tour 1990)   EMPOWERMENT

2. Like a Virgin (Blond Ambition Tour 1990)   SEX

3. Like a Virgin (MTV VMA's 2003)   CONTROVERSY

However, my absolute favourites are, in no particular order:

Bad Girl/Fever (SNL 1993),

Like a Prayer (Sticky & Sweet Tour 2008),

Let It Will Be (Confessions Tour 2006),

La Isla Bonita (Live Earth 2007, The Girlie Show 1993, Drowned World Tour 2001),

Why's It So Hard (The Girlie Show 1993),

Sooner or Later (Oscars 1991),

Like a Virgin/Love Spent (MDNA Tour 2012)

1.Ray of Light, Oprah Winfrey Show, May 29, 1998: less is more. The richness of the arrangement contrasts with the outward simplicity of the performance and the final outcome is stunning. Really love her post-Evita voice. 

2.Bye Bye Baby, VMAs, September 2,1993: Marlene, is that you? A wonderful homage to Marlene Dietrich, a slap in the face of misogyny. The idea of gender bending was so brave for the time. 

3.American Life, MTV On Stage and On the Record, April 22, 2003: I simply adore the album and its intimacy.

Honorable mentions:

Like a Virgin, MTV VMAs, September 14,1984: when history began.

I Feel Love/Future Lovers, Erotica, Music Inferno, Confessions Tour, 2006: it's not properly my cup of tea, but I truly appreciate how she reworked past hits and her demos. 

Living for Love, Grammy Awards, February 8, 2015: her last decade of career was tough for me due to my weird music tastes, but this performance was amazing and the remix is cool. 

Edited by Loki (see edit history)

Live Earth - her most powerful set on a global stage that put her back into Stadiums and led to her most successful Tour of all time (S&S) where she packed stadiums and broke records. She never returned back to those heights.

Ray Of Light Oprah - less is more. She stood there and sang. Her absolute best live vocal performance of her career.

Superbowl - whilst it all came crashing down after this with the MDNA setlist & start times, for 15 minutes she had the whole of America and many others around the world watching in awe. 

I would have said Live8, but I was there and the Reinvention version of Like A Prayer fell flat on the crowd. You can see as the camera swoops over the crowd people wanting to clap and get involved but the stripped back version didnt carry. Thank god for Ray Of Light (the first song of the entire event to wake the crowd up - those scenes at the start still give me chills) and Music. 

Edited by andifeel (see edit history)