Bedtime Story video available in HD!

lap

2 hours ago, Aiwa08 said:

Well, since Ray of Light, all Madonna's music is compressed on CD (you know, loudness war). Fortunately, the music on Celebration DVD is remastered and the 5.1 track is not compressed (only the stereo track is compressed). Check the 5.1 track for "Bedtime Story".

Untitled.thumb.jpg.580288b937a0d740c7e32e6b8c8bbc78.jpg

Really? My copy's DVD audio is compressed. I tried to make sure that I didn't have any normalizers and equalizers enabled in VLC Media Player.

4 hours ago, Roy said:

Really? My copy's DVD audio is compressed. I tried to make sure that I didn't have any normalizers and equalizers enabled in VLC Media Player.

The PCM 2.0 track is compressed. Check the 2.0 track for "Bedtime Story":

Untitled1.thumb.jpg.848f862e7316a351053afc8ab3a99c00.jpg

But remember something really important: the 5.1 track is not compressed, but it's a fake 5.1. It's not created from the original multitracks, so don't trust in that track for a quality sound test.

42 minutes ago, Aiwa08 said:

The PCM 2.0 track is compressed. Check the 2.0 track for "Bedtime Story":

Untitled1.thumb.jpg.848f862e7316a351053afc8ab3a99c00.jpg

But remember something really important: the 5.1 track is not compressed, but it's a fake 5.1. It's not created from the original multitracks, so don't trust in that track for a quality sound test.

Of course the 5.1 is compressed. It's an AC3 lossy track, compressed to death (and indeed, an incoherent mess, not a proper 5.1 mix).

7 hours ago, DanK said:

Being one of the few disappointed with the official HD remaster, I'm having a go at it.  A few screengrabs comparison (mouseover) here between the YT video posted on Madonna's account and my attempt (this is not the finished version, only still a work in progress) (note - I'm using the version from the CELEBRATION dvd, much like t.p.t.b did themselves for the official "HD" version)

https://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/11149/picture:0

https://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/11149/picture:1

are you using ai that adds detail that isn't real? I see a lot of hairs that look like what ai hallucinates to create detail. it kinda has a pattern thing going on.... I don't think that's what was used for the official remaster, it's interesting but it's not the same thing....

52 minutes ago, DanK said:

Of course the 5.1 is compressed. It's an AC3 lossy track, compressed to death (and indeed, an incoherent mess, not a proper 5.1 mix).

You are mixing concepts. Lossy doesn't mean Compressed. The AC3 is a Lossy track, not a compressed track, the dynamic range is not compressed (at least in Bedtime Story). But you are right, it's a fake 5.1 and an incoherent mess.

17 minutes ago, Fighter said:

are you using ai that adds detail that isn't real? I see a lot of hairs that look like what ai hallucinates to create detail. it kinda has a pattern thing going on.... I don't think that's what was used for the official remaster, it's interesting but it's not the same thing....

Same method, just different settings - and as mentioned, the screens were from a work in progress, I'm still working on this. The digitally enhanced (not created) details will be lessened. But yes, the version posted on Madonna's YT has been upscaled via A.I. too.

8 minutes ago, Aiwa08 said:

You are mixing concepts. Lossy doesn't mean Compressed. The AC3 is a Lossy track, not a compressed track, the dynamic range is not compressed (at least in Bedtime Story). But you are right, it's a fake 5.1 and an incoherent mess.

I thought you were talking "losslessness". We're both correct, the 'compressed/uncompressed' terminology is used for both concepts. A lossless LPCM for instance, is officially referred to as an uncompressed audio format, while an MP3/AAC/etc encoding makes for a lossly pr  compressed file, and that has nothing to do with the concept of "compression" used for mixing (ie - 'compressor'). Both tracks on Celebration are a mess anyway. The audio and video on the '93:99' are much better.

17 minutes ago, DanK said:

I thought you were talking "losslessness". We're both correct, the 'compressed/uncompressed' terminology is used for both concepts. A lossless LPCM for instance, is officially referred to as an uncompressed audio format, while an MP3/AAC/etc encoding makes for a lossly pr  compressed file, and that has nothing to do with the concept of "compression" used for mixing (ie - 'compressor'). Both tracks on Celebration are a mess anyway. The audio and video on the '93:99' are much better.

Anyway I was talking about the dynamic range (loudness war). The PCM 2.0 is a lossless track but has the dynamic range compressed. The AC3 5.1 track apparently doesn't have the dynamic range compressed but it's a horrible and inconsistent lossy track from a fake 5.1

16 minutes ago, DanK said:

Same method, just different settings - and as mentioned, the screens were from a work in progress, I'm still working on this. The digitally enhanced (not created) details will be lessened. But yes, the version posted on Madonna's YT has been upscaled via A.I. too.

I don't know what M's team used (looks like regular upscaling) but you seem to have used neural network ai which creates details that aren't there originally. If you zoom in on the hair on your comparison, there are evenly spaced out single hairs that look like a pattern, I've only seen that on upscales using neural network ai and it seems like a common occurrence with this tech. I would love a version done like this cos it feels real when you watch it, but for M's upscales I prefer a more purist approach tbh, even if there are less details. 

hairs.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...