Cher on Madonna. Spot on!

Madame Madonna

Miley is not another average/ordinary pop star. Her ruspy strong voice really stands out and her new Plastic Hearts aesthetic is most beautiful. She is also one of only two ballsy female artists of her generation, the other being Taylor Swift, because they've been attacked multiple times by media and public and managed to take it and turn it to their advance.  She's made songs recently like Mother's Daughter and Midnight Sky that the rest of her peers could never put out or even record. Please don't put everyone into the same pot. From that generation of Disney/Nickelodeon girls, there is Selena Gomez with zero vocal abilities but attracting some great producers and making cute bops and solid records, there is Demi Lovato with good vocals but not much else interesting to her name and Ariana with good vocals also but no real interest to stand out besides looking cute and sounding sultry. 

23 minutes ago, Blue Prince said:

Miley is not another average/ordinary pop star. Her ruspy strong voice really stands out and her new Plastic Hearts aesthetic is most beautiful. She is also one of only two ballsy female artists of her generation, the other being Taylor Swift, because they've been attacked multiple times by media and public and managed to take it and turn it to their advance.  She's made songs recently like Mother's Daughter and Midnight Sky that the rest of her peers could never put out or even record. Please don't put everyone into the same pot. From that generation of Disney/Nickelodeon girls, there is Selena Gomez with zero vocal abilities but attracting some great producers and making cute bops and solid records, there is Demi Lovato with good vocals but not much else interesting to her name and Ariana with good vocals also but no real interest to stand out besides looking cute and sounding sultry. 

Miley is vocally talented sure, but the Bangerz era was her at her most vapid and contrived. She tried so hard to be attention-seeking and reckless and it was like watching Madonna lite, only without the artistry behind the controversy. I still think that Miley's VMA 2013 performance was the most ridiculous spectacle that I've ever witnessed in the history of that awards show.

As for Taylor, there's absolutely nothing "ballsy" about anything that she's done. She hasn't even been dragged by the media as much as y'all would like to think; the biggest controversy of her career was Kanye interrupting her at the 2009 VMAs, which only strengthened her career. She's come out on top in every feud that she's had, whether it was the various Kanye things, her feud with Katy Perry, or her feud with Scooter Braun. Feuds that most people sided with her on anyway. Thus far she's never had to endure any particularly nasty treatment by the media nor has she ever truly flopped, but there's nothing daring or courageous about what she's done considering that she's made the most radio-friendly, safe music in the history of pop.

20 minutes ago, Nahual said:

Miley is vocally talented sure, but the Bangerz era was her at her most vapid and contrived. She tried so hard be attention-seeking and reckless and it was like watching Madonna lite, only without the artistry behind the controversy. I still think that Miley's VMA 2013 performance was the most ridiculous spectacle that I've ever witnessed in the history of that awards show.

As for Taylor, there's absolutely nothing "ballsy" about anything that she's done. She hasn't even been dragged by the media as much as y'all would like to think; the biggest controversy of her career was Kanye interrupting her at the 2009 VMAs, which only strengthened her career. She's come out on top in every feud that she's had, whether it was the various Kanye things, her feud with Katy Perry, or her feud with Scooter Braun. Feuds that most people sided with her on anyway. Thus far she's never had to endure any particularly nasty treatment by the media nor has she ever truly flopped, but there's nothing daring or courageous about what she's done considering that she's made the most radio-friendly, safe music in the history of pop.

We can't judge Miley on her Bangerz and her Dead Petz eras. Madonna herself has said that she was lucky enough to have a childhood far from the spotlight. Miley didn't, so she had to react somehow. I admire her for not attracting her audience out of pity, which is something I notice about Gaga, Selena, Demi and is something I definitely don't want Madonna to do. I'm sure Miley is finding her artistry the older she gets and she finally made her first quite well received record. 

Taylor on the other hand, hasn't made only safe music. Why would an album like Speak Now or Red stand any chance in 2010 and 2012 when pop music was headed to a different direction? Why is Folklore and Evermore radio friendly exactly? When Madonna was pretending to be trendy with RnB back in 2008, Taylor ruled with country. When Madonna pretended to be trendy again with edm MDNA, Taylor ruled with country again and an album she almost completely wrote by herself. Whether she as a growing young woman was attacked enough or not by the media, let her and her family decide. I think she might be the only woman out there who can match Madonna and be revived with every era, standing on top or next to it for so long. It has to take balls to do that somehow. Pity and some good vocals only get you this far...

Oh and I'm talking about this generation of girls only. None of them is Beyonce. None of them is P!nk etc.

3 hours ago, Blue Prince said:

We can't judge Miley on her Bangerz and her Dead Petz eras. Madonna herself has said that she was lucky enough to have a childhood far from the spotlight. Miley didn't, so she had to react somehow. I admire her for not attracting her audience out of pity, which is something I notice about Gaga, Selena, Demi and is something I definitely don't want Madonna to do. I'm sure Miley is finding her artistry the older she gets and she finally made her first quite well received record. 

Taylor on the other hand, hasn't made only safe music. Why would an album like Speak Now or Red stand any chance in 2010 and 2012 when pop music was headed to a different direction? Why is Folklore and Evermore radio friendly exactly? When Madonna was pretending to be trendy with RnB back in 2008, Taylor ruled with country. When Madonna pretended to be trendy again with edm MDNA, Taylor ruled with country again and an album she almost completely wrote by herself. Whether she as a growing young woman was attacked enough or not by the media, let her and her family decide. I think she might be the only woman out there who can match Madonna and be revived with every era, standing on top or next to it for so long. It has to take balls to do that somehow. Pity and some good vocals only get you this far...

Oh and I'm talking about this generation of girls only. None of them is Beyonce. None of them is P!nk etc.

You are so right.

I also admire Taylor for speaking out on artists owning the rights to their masters. How the industry is so unfair when it comes to artists writes and control over their work. 

I also think she is pretty ballsy to think f**k it and re-record her whole back catalogue, I think that takes courage and strength, she is very intelligent and has a lot of strength. 

I absolutely adore 'Folklore' and 'Evermore'. I was never a fan of her music or her until I heard those albums and I'm so glad I woke up to how incredibly talented and good she is as a musician and lyricist.

20 hours ago, Blue Prince said:

Are you honestly trying to argue that Speak Now and Red don't count as "safe" when they were basic country-folksy/pop inspired albums that both sold over 4 million copies in the US each?  Why are you pushing a narrative that Taylor's music is some deep indie genre that's pushing the envelope? I could sort of understand the argument earlier about Miley being a good performance and doing some outrageous things even if I personally found them forced, but this narrative of Taylor's music being different from the norm is frankly ludicrous to me, especially when discussing Red since the 2 biggest hits from that album were co-written and produced by Max Martin, aka the most generic songwriter/producer in the business even back then.

And how are Folklore and Evermore any different from the country albums that Taylor released when she first came out on the music scene? I don't understand how anyone could claim that is Taylor "reviving" anything; her relying on the country-folk sound again doesn't sound like innovation to me; genre hopping can be done right as we've seen with Madonna and a few other artists, but Taylor going from country-folk to pop and then back to a folksy sound within a decade isn't exactly a reinvention from my viewpoint. 

Also you're going to have to be more specific about what "generation" means when talking about Taylor and Miley specifically, because you apparently don't count Beyonce or Pink yet you implied that Gaga, Demi, and Selena were from the same generation as Miley and Taylor despite all 7 of these girls releasing music at around the same time. So I'm a bit confused about that.

1 hour ago, Nahual said:

Are you honestly trying to argue that Speak Now and Red don't count as "safe" when they were basic country-folksy/pop inspired albums that both sold over 4 million copies in the US each?  Why are you pushing a narrative that Taylor's music is some deep indie genre that's pushing the envelope? I could sort of understand the argument earlier about Miley being a good performance and doing some outrageous things even if I personally found them forced, but this narrative of Taylor's music being different from the norm is frankly ludicrous to me, especially when discussing Red since the 2 biggest hits from that album were co-written and produced by Max Martin, aka the most generic songwriter/producer in the business even back then.

And how are Folklore and Evermore any different from the country albums that Taylor released when she first came out on the music scene? I don't understand how anyone could claim that is Taylor "reviving" anything; her relying on the country-folk sound again doesn't sound like innovation to me; genre hopping can be done right as we've seen with Madonna and a few other artists, but Taylor going from country-folk to pop and then back to a folksy sound within a decade isn't exactly a reinvention from my viewpoint. 

Also you're going to have to be more specific about what "generation" means when talking about Taylor and Miley specifically, because you apparently don't count Beyonce or Pink yet you implied that Gaga, Demi, and Selena were from the same generation as Miley and Taylor despite all 7 of these girls releasing music at around the same time. So I'm a bit confused about that.

Go sit down and breathe in through the nose and out through the mouth, you about to bust a blood vessel ? 

2 hours ago, Nahual said:

I'm only going to answer to the last bit to end your confusion. I counted Miley into the same generation as Demi, Ariana and Selena because they started off from TV shows and almost at the same time. Taylor Swift also started around 2006 although not from a TV show so I considered her too into the same generation. They were all teenagers then. 

I don't think I mentioned Gaga at all. I think she belongs to a different generation because she was a young adult when she started. And Beyonce and P!nk are older than all of them, they are mothers, having started in the early 2000's.

So I am talking about generations and origins of the artists despite all of them releasing songs at some specific time.