Fix the MDNA Tour

eXtremeOccident

Alright, let's be real -- This is the tour that kicked off Madonna's decrease in touring power. There's constant chatter in the fan community about the various reasons why, but I think it really came down to two issues:

* The setlist

* The late as eff start times

The tour is hands down her most visually appealing, as well as best choreographed...so how that feast for the eyes didn't launch her into new touring stratospheres is beyond me.

If you were to change the MDNA Tour, what would you have done?

I'll start -- The setlist:

Transgression

Virgin Mary (Intro)
Gang Bang
Papa Don't Preach (Full) (upbeat dance mix: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTl9uoXc6hQ)
Hung Up (Original Mix)
Bad Girl
Die Another Day (Revolver choreo / lighting; ending the same way as IDGA to the DAD instrumental)

Prophecy

Best Friend (Interlude)
Express Yourself
Give Me All Your Luvin'
Beautiful Stranger (Rock Version)
Open Your Heart
Masterpiece

Masculine/Feminine

Justify My Love (Interlude)
Vogue
Physical Attraction (mix: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_orLLMCsK9E)
Human Nature
Like a Virgin / Falling Free

Redemption

Nobody Knows Me (Interlude)
I'm Addicted
Ray of Light (Calderone Mix) / Cyber-Raga
Like a Prayer

Encore

Celebration (Album Version) / Holiday

Yes, I know GGW didn't make it...a lot of MDNA didn't. The album just doesn't hold up to the other Madonna songs and almost sounds clunky in the context of the rest of the setlist. Plus, this tour happened right after the Super Bowl and was marketed as the Madonna World Tour 2012 -- It really should have been treated as more of a RIT scenario, rather than a self-indulgent show.

Oh, and the show starts at 8:45 PM sharp, just like Confessions and all tours prior did.

Fast forward to 2019 -- Madonna is on the Madame X World Tour, selling out arenas on back-to-back nights.

Fin.

I love the MDNA Tour, I think its actually her largest in terms of cutting edge production and costs and her most ambitious since Blond Ambition. It is also one of her most physical-demanding shows of the 00s & 10s.

I agree with the poster above, we just need someone to re-edit the DVD with pro and fan live footage to eliminate the over-editing and give it a 'live' feel.

Two things. I would extend Papa Don't Preach until at least the second chorus, and I would have Express Yourself sound less tinny. Music nowadays almost needs to be mixed digitally by digital instruments and computers. But the oldies... if they could be recreated with a full band on a world tour in the early 90s... they deserve the live treatment. BIM would have been impossible during the BAT. So don't resort to karaoke tracks for the oldies. THANKS. lol.

Just now, Andymad said:

Two things. I would extend Papa Don't Preach until at least the second chorus, and I would have Express Yourself sound less tinny. Even Vogue sounded new and current. Music nowadays almost needs to be mixed digitally by digital instruments and computers. But the oldies... if they could be recreated with a full band on a world tour in the early 90s... they deserve the live treatment. BIM would have been impossible during the BAT. So don't resort to karaoke tracks for the oldies. THANKS. lol.

I thought the MDNA tour was great I think it's her best show since Confessions - would just change

Replace Revolver with Beautiful Killer

Replace Turn Up The Radio with a back catalogue that would work better as a rock version 

Replace Like A Virgin with I Want You 

Include Love Spent on the European leg

On the DVD

Fix the poor mixing and vocal processing on Girl Gone Wild - the vocals sound really weak and the overall sound really tinny 

Ideally have all the footage from one stop on the tour so it feels like one show even if  it's not from one night -   I think it might have been possible if they had filmed the shows in South America as intended where the audiences would have been amazing and added to the atmosphere. The nights they filmed in Miami I remember reports they had  a pissed off audience with some people leaving early as they started so late and  guess that might be why they mixed in footage from other shows including  non HD material for some shots

Less filters on the DVD but understand they had to do it as part of the colour grading to get all the difference shows used to look more similar in terms of colour and lighting

Less contrived audience reaction shots I always cringe during revolver where she sings 'I can't believe it' after she walks down the steps and someone in the audience gasps and put theirs hand over their mouth like 'they can't believe it' lol - was much worse for this on the Rebel Heart DVD though with audience from so many different shows and people reacting to songs that were clearly from other parts of the show

Guest Nobody Knows Me

I think she over-exhausted herself with the amount of dates to be honest, so I'd have made the duration a little shorter, and have her arrive on time. I think Beautiful Killer would have worked somewhere in the opening section and I agree that Papa Don't Preach deserved a full performance. That said, the MDNA Tour is one of my favourites so I wouldn't really change that much.

In terms of the DVD, I've always had a suspicion that one of the Australian dates might have been filmed after the Miami recording didn't go as planned, but when the shows got cancelled they just went with Miami anyway. It's just a theory though.

Guest Nobody Knows Me
12 minutes ago, Brendanlovesu1 said:

I remember she posted a half assed message on Youtube to the aussie fans apologizing but were dates ever officially announced?

Stadium dates were apparently planned for January 2013 but were scrapped before announcement I think.

2 hours ago, MDNA22 said:

I thought the MDNA tour was great I think it's her best show since Confessions - would just change

Replace Revolver with Beautiful Killer

Replace Turn Up The Radio with a back catalogue that would work better as a rock version 

Replace Like A Virgin with I Want You 

Include Love Spent on the European leg

On the DVD

Fix the poor mixing and vocal processing on Girl Gone Wild - the vocals sound really weak and the overall sound really tinny 

Ideally have all the footage from one stop on the tour so it feels like one show even if  it's not from one night -   I think it might have been possible if they had filmed the shows in South America as intended where the audiences would have been amazing and added to the atmosphere. The nights they filmed in Miami I remember reports they had  a pissed off audience with some people leaving early as they started so late and  guess that might be why they mixed in footage from other shows including  non HD material for some shots

Less filters on the DVD but understand they had to do it as part of the colour grading to get all the difference shows used to look more similar in terms of colour and lighting

Less contrived audience reaction shots I always cringe during revolver where she sings 'I can't believe it' after she walks down the steps and someone in the audience gasps and put theirs hand over their mouth like 'they can't believe it' lol - was much worse for this on the Rebel Heart DVD though with audience from so many different shows and people reacting to songs that were clearly from other parts of the show

Agreed — if you watch old Michael Jackson shows, it’s very much the same... Audience footage to emphasize dramatic reactions of the crowd to their presence. Almost like an ego thing. And with the MDNA Miami show stories, it almost feels like she went into overdrive with those shots strictly as a rebuttal to how awful that night went haha.

Anyone remember the Sorry audience shots on the Confessions Tour? Always killed me.

I do wish she would get with Jonas again...he would have captured MDNA beautifully. That show def deserved the NBC special treatment.

To clarify, MDNA is my second favorite tour behind Confessions. I just think the set list was the one part that needed some rework...it didn’t need to be Rebel Heart Tour karaoke style renditions to produce an awesome greatest hits tour. The MDNA Tour was the perfect production level and timing to produce a 2010s version of Reinvention.

If only she would manage the balance between old and new stuff a little better. 5-6 songs from the new album is more than enough nowadays. She has such a vast discography that she could produce very different shows each tour without resorting a) only to the new music or b) Vogue / Like A Prayer / La Isla Bonita....her greatest hits has 40+ songs!

It’s a phenomenal tour...it just kills me that she didn’t realize its full potential as an iconic show, similar to Blonde Ambition status.

1 hour ago, eXtremeOccident said:

Anyone remember the Sorry audience shots on the Confessions Tour? Always killed me.

I do wish she would get with Jonas again...he would have captured MDNA beautifully. That show def deserved the NBC special treatment.

Yeah the guy with the arms folded when Madonna is right in front of him during Sorry - how did that not get edited out?? lol 

I really wish she would get with Jonas again too for carpeting her live shows - agree MDNA would have been captured beautifully  - he is the best there is at filming and editing live shows the image quality, lighting, every camera angle and cut were brilliantly done  for Confessions and the footage in the Re-Invention Tour documentary they captured the show perfectly 

1 hour ago, Ekans said:

The DVD/BR is the main concern for me. Maybe some fan with good editing skills could put together a reworked video using some pro/amateur shots and the leaked soundboard audio? #JusticeForMDNATour

About the show itself I wouldn't change much. Maybe making the Prophecy/Redemption acts more cohesive?

#JusticeForMDNATour

tumblr_n83f8h84Ci1r90m4vo3_500.gifv

tumblr_mddvq8f9rj1raznnho1_500.gifv

tumblr_mcvgviTdjv1roumcho7_250.gif

tumblr_mh8tx6uKb91rxml8no2_500.gifv

tumblr_m7ikd4VWNY1qltoc4o2_500.gifv

tumblr_mgrzax4Z9n1qh4x1xo1_r1_500.gifv

tumblr_mdeab5nRJD1qkzr9fo1_500.gifv

5 hours ago, OhBabyReadyOrNot said:

I like almost everything about the MDNA tour, but there are a few things I would change about it:

• Finish Papa Don't Preach
  • Eliminate the Erotic Candy Shop thingy
  • Replace the last few songs
  • Have Madge show up on time!

Erotic Candy Shop and Celebration are literally some of my highlights of the show. :Madonna037: