What are your favourite performances on the Who’s That Girl Tour?

Blue Jean

Its my favourite tour I think and I love every performance.  I just love the energy, the live band and even her voice.  Sure it has its wobbly moments, but overall its raw and full of power.  As someone else posted above - she looks like she is enjoying herself.  Some later tours she makes no secret of just wanting to get the show done and be on her way home.....

If I could only watch one more performance from it ever, I would have to go with "Holiday" - who knows, when this pandemic is finally over maybe they will re-release that song (again) hahahaha.

At the end of the tour the whole world knew who's that girl...........

Open Your Heart • Lucky Star • True Blue • Papa Don't Preach • White Heat • Causing A Commotion • The Look Of Love • Dress You Up / Material Girl / Like A Virgin • Where's The Party • Live To Tell • Into The Groove • La Isla Bonita • Who's That Girl • Holiday

Each songs are special and her performances are wow :hearteyes:. Alone or with her dancers she dominates her Art with energy and natural :clapp:

And then of course at one point during the concert there is.......

My conscience is clear, I know right from wrong
That's a lie, I know nothing except that you're gone
But there's more to learn from the look in your eyes
That trip round this world, the stars in the sky

Edited by Tony Fortin (see edit history)

This is my favorite Madonna tour of all time! There is just something about it that's just so pure and so full of magic. Not even going to be redundant about the insane amount of ENERGY she shared to the world during this tour!

When I think of one of my favorite performances ever from Madonna, it would have to be from the Who's That Girl Tour: it's got to be "Lucky Star."

Man, when I think of the word ENERGY and BRILLIANCE, this performance comes to mind. I love the rearrangements, those heavy reverbs of the snare drum that was perfect for stadiums, and that BASS!

That dance she does in the beginning with her back to the audience then sultrily goes lower and then boom - she just bursts into a power machine as she starts singing so intensely and powerfully. I'm not even going to start with how fuckin amazing her vocals are - guttural, raw, mighty, and deep. And how about when she throws herself to the floor during the bridge? Then prance-skips back to the mic stand with so much swagger finishing off the song with that dance move only Madonna can execute.

If there was one moment in history I can go back to and relive, it would have be on the night of September 4th, 1987. I love this tour so much!

My favorite moment is at 02:20! Ugh the coolness, the swagger

• 2 years later...

Where to begin, .. i was shocked to see how low this tour was ranked at all those ranking posts on here.

To me this is top 3 Madonna tour, from start to finish i can't keep my eyes off of her. Her energie is amazing, the stage prescence is great, the songs are classics and her vocals sound so raw, so loud and clear. I realy don't understand why some people say she sounds bad in this tour, she sounds great, is it flawless? No... But she's in tune most of the time, she's singing and dancing and moving and still delivers such loud, raw and clear vocals... To me this is classic Madonna at her best together with Blonde Ambition wich is her best imo... 

Anyway it's so hard to choose my favorite performances of this tour because i almost love them all, but i give it a try 

"Open Your Heart"

"Lucky Star"

"True Blue"

"Papa Don't Preach"

"Causing a Commotion"

"The Look of Love"

"Live to Tell"

"Into the Groove"

"La Isla Bonita"

"Who's That Girl"

"Holiday"

These are my favorites , but i love the others to, it's my 2nd favorite Madonna tour. 

Are there any others who agree with me on this? That this tour is amazing?

Let me know 💋

On 2/27/2021 at 11:40 AM, cosmicarlo818 said:

This is my favorite Madonna tour of all time! There is just something about it that's just so pure and so full of magic. Not even going to be redundant about the insane amount of ENERGY she shared to the world during this tour!

When I think of one of my favorite performances ever from Madonna, it would have to be from the Who's That Girl Tour: it's got to be "Lucky Star."

Man, when I think of the word ENERGY and BRILLIANCE, this performance comes to mind. I love the rearrangements, those heavy reverbs of the snare drum that was perfect for stadiums, and that BASS!

That dance she does in the beginning with her back to the audience then sultrily goes lower and then boom - she just bursts into a power machine as she starts singing so intensely and powerfully. I'm not even going to start with how fuckin amazing her vocals are - guttural, raw, mighty, and deep. And how about when she throws herself to the floor during the bridge? Then prance-skips back to the mic stand with so much swagger finishing off the song with that dance move only Madonna can execute.

If there was one moment in history I can go back to and relive, it would have be on the night of September 4th, 1987. I love this tour so much!

My favorite moment is at 02:20! Ugh the coolness, the swagger

On 2/27/2021 at 8:43 PM, Bobo said:

The whole show is phenomenal! The live band, the arrangements, the energy, the cohesiveness and choreography together with raw vocals. It's just. . . Wow. 

Taste 👌

I live for this tour - the older fans ( in their 40s + ) like me tend to always cite blond ambition tour as her superstar icon start but for me it’s this tour - it’s when I became a hardcore fan - 1987 is and will always be my favourite year of hers - the movies, singles , videos and this tour which is everything for me both from sonic ( best band - Jonathan drums , Luis percussion and pats music production and of course jai unbelievable piano solo during into the grove ) best opening ever With that silhouette image - fave performance is hard but I would say is into the groove due to production and dancing 🥰

16 minutes ago, wtg1987 said:

I live for this tour - the older fans ( in their 40s + ) like me tend to always cite blond ambition tour as her superstar icon start but for me it’s this tour - it’s when I became a hardcore fan - 1987 is and will always be my favourite year of hers - the movies, singles , videos and this tour which is everything for me both from sonic ( best band - Jonathan drums , Luis percussion and pats music production and of course jai unbelievable piano solo during into the grove ) best opening ever With that silhouette image - fave performance is hard but I would say is into the groove due to production and dancing 🥰

Great taste. To me my top 3 tours are 1 Blonde Ambition 2 Who's that girl tour 3 Drowned world... 

And yes Who's that girl is amazing i watched it so many times and it always makes me feel so good because of her energy, its so good 

La Isla Bonita and Who's That Girl definitely are highlights for me, as well as The Look of Love. Holiday is really great as well. Love how everything is live and the songs really get room to come alive. Fantastic setlist as well overall. There's a real great vibe and positive energy with this tour and such a departure from the aesthetic of the Virgin Tour, which was also great.

My favorite moments from this beautiful tour are: Open your heart, Lucky Star, White Heat, Causing a commotion, The look of love, Like a Virgin, Into the groove, Who's that girl and Holiday.

However, on this tour there is a WTF moment (no, it's not when Madonna kisses the child during Like a Virgin) that to this day causes me some confusion and for which I can't find an explanation.

It's during Who's that Girl, a song that starts out full of joy and positivity but then turns sad and melancholic in both the music and Madonna's voice. This radical change in the song always surprised me. Sometimes I wondered if Madonna was dedicating this song to another woman, perhaps a love impossible due to society's prejudices. Maybe that's why the expression on her face changes at the end of the song: from happiness to despair and anguish. Near the end Madonna even starts to... masturbate, I mean, she puts her hand on her crotch and makes a gesture very similar to what people do when they reach orgasm.

For me the final part of this song is the most dramatic moment of the entire show and I feel that my interpretation is the correct one unless someone has a better one than mine.

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, Where's The Party? said:

The whole show. It's one of her most underrated tours, tbh.

If you compare it to other tours of those years it’s quite extraordinary. MJ’s Bad for example is quite basic in comparison. She really brought in incredible theatrics.

4 hours ago, Blue Jean said:

If you compare it to other tours of those years it’s quite extraordinary. MJ’s Bad for example is quite basic in comparison. She really brought in incredible theatrics.

I agree and let’s not forget that MJ recycled his performances of Beat It , billie Jean , thriller and wanna be starting something for every tour - I mean I love the guy but his tours don’t compare to Ms 

1 hour ago, wtg1987 said:

I agree and let’s not forget that MJ recycled his performances of Beat It , billie Jean , thriller and wanna be starting something for every tour - I mean I love the guy but his tours don’t compare to Ms 

He nailed the whole epic/spectacle thing and he was an incredible performer. But his shows weren’t creative like Madonna.