Nothing Really Matters - HD Remaster

RinoTheBouncer

44 minutes ago, Tiago Lisboa Rodrigues said:

Are we sure?

Yes, definitely. The master is SD (Beta or ProRes), and that's the one they used for this upscale.

45 minutes ago, Tiago Lisboa Rodrigues said:

Usually those AI HD upscales don't really increase the quality and videos look like shiny plastic. This isn't it. 

No, many A.I. upscales look great and don't have that horrible plastic/waxy effect. It's just that this forum (among others) has been invaded by such awful plastic-looking upscales this last year. But that doesn't reflect what A.I. upscaling technologies can do.

For instance, it's easy to obtain better results when upscaling the NRM video than what's just been posted on Madonna's YT channel. Because honestly, while FROZEN was a great upscale, this one is rather bad. The whites are burned, the colours are all wrong, definition isn't great, the "plastic effect"is ever present....

From Madonna's YT :

Image5.png%20

Fan-made version (WIP) :

Image6.png

From Madonna's YT :
Image7.png

Fan-made version (WIP) :
Image8.png

From Madonna's YT :
Image9.png

Fan-made version (WIP) :
Image10.png

From Madonna's YT :
Image11.png

Fan-made version (WIP) :
Image12.png

34 minutes ago, DanK said:

Yes, definitely. The master is SD (Beta or ProRes), and that's the one they used for this upscale.

No, many A.I. upscales look great and don't have that horrible plastic/waxy effect. It's just that this forum (among others) has been invaded by such awful plastic-looking upscales this last year. But that doesn't reflect what A.I. upscaling technologies can do.

For instance, it's easy to obtain better results when upscaling the NRM video than what's just been posted on Madonna's YT channel. Because honestly, while FROZEN was a great upscale, this one is rather bad. The whites are burned, the colours are all wrong, definition isn't great, the "plastic effect"is ever present....

From Madonna's YT :

Image5.png%20

Fan-made version (WIP) :

Image6.png

From Madonna's YT :
Image7.png

Fan-made version (WIP) :
Image8.png

From Madonna's YT :
Image9.png

Fan-made version (WIP) :
Image10.png

From Madonna's YT :
Image11.png

Fan-made version (WIP) :
Image12.png

I prefer the official one, the fan made one looks orange

4 hours ago, DanK said:

From Madonna's YT :

Image5.png%20

Fan-made version (WIP) :

Image6.png

From Madonna's YT :
Image7.png

Fan-made version (WIP) :
Image8.png

From Madonna's YT :
Image9.png

Fan-made version (WIP) :
Image10.png

From Madonna's YT :
Image11.png

Fan-made version (WIP) :
Image12.png

Does anyone have the SD master of NRM? I've been looking for it here and I couldn't find it, all we have is the DVD vobs

7 hours ago, realityisalways said:

Can someone explain the inspiration behind this video? Like why are the people in white shown like if they had mental issues?

I remember hearing something about white and red blood cells back in the day but it’s always been a mystery to me. Maybe it’s just a visual thing and actually has no meaning?

1 hour ago, rlittler81 said:

I remember hearing something about white and red blood cells back in the day but it’s always been a mystery to me. Maybe it’s just a visual thing and actually has no meaning?

She was speaking in interviews at the time how she felt she is like a modern geisha, entertaining people, privileged but trapped in her "box" at the same time. The box thing is super explicit in the video, of course.

madonna-nothing-really-matters-video-set

Also I found this article from the time:

https://www.thecrimson.com/article/1999/2/26/the-video-nothing-really-matters-pbnbothing/

It's maybe reading too much into it but some parts are accurate?

She is trapped within her corridor, without the least privacy, but she is free to perform.

And like the postmodern icon she is, Madonna tells us in "Nothing really matters" that her whole career has been a matter of performing on cue. -> not the message at all haha -> nothing really matters cause love is all we need

"Want me to smile?" she asks. "Want me to bitch? Want me to soften up? Want me to be a mom?" 

I hate that "being a mom" is seen here as another career movement, but...

13 hours ago, rlittler81 said:

Love this video! Did anyone ever figure what it was supposed to be about??? Hope the remixes follow!!!

It was like a modern twist to La Isla Bonita video. There are 2 Madonnas, the funny and crazy one, and the spiritual instrospective one. They can't last without the other one, but at same time separated in different environments. 'When I was very young, nothing really mattered to me'. It's like a fight between the 2 characters, but at the same time they complement each other. 

Water (water bags) is an element that appears a lot in Memoirs of a Geisha book, as a symbol of transformation an reinvention. 

Fantastic video! 

My understanding of the video is that Madonna is inside the wooden box. That’s why it’s moving a bit and the scenes she’s has filmed in the red geisha outfit look like she is inside a dark box. Representing her limited view of the world before motherhood. I’m not sure what the things are that are attached to the box but maybe they are viewing holes or something. 

The plastic bag containing the water is almost cradled like a child. The bag represents the womb and amniotic fluid. A drowned world. Child birth and rebirth. 

The jerky movements were a dance craze called the Jerk. Maybe also reminiscent of the movements of new born creatures or someone receiving an electric shock... resuscitation and coming back to life. 

The panting on the back is a ritual Geishas used to do. To do this they used to have two mirrors. Possibly representing Madonna having a new view of herself that she never gets to see or got to see before. 

The geisha is of course a respected entertainer in Japanese culture. This also has connotations of being respected but also there to serve and secondary to the man.