Frozen + Bedtime Story remixes on streaming 3/12 , 3/19

luckystar908

2 minutes ago, Prayer said:

There was an issue with the release in the US and that's why it charted so low, right? Back then the Billboard charts were radio airplay + physical single sales but Warner f***d it up with the release and it only got to #93 when the physical single arrived later than the radio peak.

Despite being a successful club hit, many have cited Warner’s unusual marketing choices for the single as the primary reason for its poor placement on the Hot 100, where its peak of #93 remains the lowest of her charting singles.

The delayed release of the commercial single – which came long after the song had peaked at radio – was clearly a blunder, while other aspects of the song’s promotion seemingly started too early. After declining to release the experimental remixes for The Power Of Good-Bye in the U.S. (the remixes were issued commercially in Canada & abroad), Warner jumped the gun by beginning to service remixes of Nothing Really Matters promotionally to clubs as early as September of 1998 – over six months ahead of the maxi-single release.

https://todayinmadonnahistory.com/tag/nothing-really-matters/page/2/

One of her best singles and videos and sadly forgotten, yeah.

Always wondered what was going on with TPOG remixes! They were never released in the UK or US bar the meh Dallas Austin mix. I always loved the Fabian mix and the Luke Slater mixes have grown on me... slightly. I do seem to recall the NRM single release being delayed in some sense. I always felt it should have charted higher in the UK as it seemed really popular. I remember friends telling me it sounded like the “old Madonna” from the past.

6 minutes ago, rlittler81 said:

Always wondered what was going on with TPOG remixes! They were never released in the UK or US bar the meh Dallas Austin mix. I always loved the Fabian mix and the Luke Slater mixes have grown on me... slightly. I do seem to recall the NRM single release being delayed in some sense. I always felt it should have charted higher in the UK as it seemed really popular. I remember friends telling me it sounded like the “old Madonna” from the past.

"TPOG" remixes were truly subpar... it's hard to remix a ballad anyway.

"NRM" was the 5th single (in Europe) from a blockbuster album, so I guess it was never gonna be a #1 hit anyway. A Top 10 single in the UK and helping to keep promoting the album was good enough, but #93 in the US was quite bad.

• RUADJAI featured and pinned this topic
3 hours ago, steady75 said:

Yeah the lack of mixes for drowned world was odd. Luckily the one mix we got it utterly perfect. Not sure how they’re gonna pad those EP’s out. Maybe they’ll house them together as an EP 

The Power of Goodbye

Sky Fits Heaven

Skin

Drowned World

Has To Be

Heck even throw us the Veronica Electronica album if they’re feeling generous 

1 hour ago, animalinstinct said:

Heck even throw us the Veronica Electronica album if they’re feeling generous 

I wonder if Veronica Electronica got past the planning stages and had any actual remixes/track listing? She seemed invested in it, mentioning it even before the album was released. I wonder if it was mixes just by William Orbit or if outside DJs were commissioned. I think it could have been quite successful had she released it late 1998.

2 hours ago, rlittler81 said:

I wonder if Veronica Electronica got past the planning stages and had any actual remixes/track listing? She seemed invested in it, mentioning it even before the album was released. I wonder if it was mixes just by William Orbit or if outside DJs were commissioned. I think it could have been quite successful had she released it late 1998.

Ray of Light was the perfect album to have a remixed version. It's such a shame they wasted such an opportunity.

3 minutes ago, Ryder said:

Likely it would've been something like a CD1 VERONICA and a CD2 ELECTRONICA featuring mixes by Victor Calderone, William Orbit, Club69/Peter Rauhofer and BT & Sasha, Talvin Singh...and Richard Humpty?? 

It could have been. But considering that she was talking about Veronica Electronica even before an avalanche of remixes were made for the forthcoming singles, I think that her idea was to use the unused versions/demos or to build on what they had and didn't use - like the ten minute version of Ray Of Light they had to cut down to fit on the album. I bet they just had ideas to explore with the songs so fresh in their minds, that outside remixers might not even have been necessary.

1 minute ago, captainjay said:

It could have been. But considering that she was talking about Veronica Electronica even before an avalanche of remixes were made for the forthcoming singles, I think that her idea was to use the unused versions/demos or to build on what they had and didn't use - like the ten minute version of Ray Of Light they had to cut down to fit on the album. I bet they just had ideas to explore with the songs so fresh in their minds, that outside remixers might not even have been necessary.

and instead she went off doing the next best thing - she 1st thought of calling the album Veronica Vlectronica as mentioned on MTV's Ultrasound - 

On 3/5/2021 at 4:56 AM, Shoful said:

Give. That they are going all out for these now. I hope they give us the bside songs!! We need Let Down Your Guard, Has To Be, Updown Suite, Ain’t No Big Deal, Fighting Spirit, Superpop, Broken, Ring My Bell, and Cyberraga on streaming!! 

We already have these in CD quality.

On 3/6/2021 at 12:35 AM, captainjay said:

NRM had enormous potential, but the release was all mucked up. I remember getting a promo CD of remixes in the mid-late Summer of 98, expecting it to be the next single, but Drowned World was shot and released and then Power Of Good-Bye. By the time the video for NRM was released and she was performing it on the Grammy's, the HOT HOT remixes were COLD COLD and old news and then a month later (going from memory) the remixes were released to retail. By then, I'd already had the remixes for 7-8 months .. talk about waiting too long. 

Cold boogers on a paper plate ... 

On 3/6/2021 at 12:53 AM, steady75 said:

Yeah it’s shocking how bad that song did it the states. To the point where she didn’t include it GHV2 even though it was an international release and Drowned World was not released in the American Market.
The song really really deserves better and the video is clearly an iconic discography highlight that has been shunted away. The album version of the song is so very very beautiful. 

Whej doing mixtapes I always put Nothing Really Matters right after Bedtime Story because they’re both such gloopy and digital mood pieces. Truly the baton song that sonically  links those two studio albums superbly. They missed a trick there on GHV2 and she has never performed it on tour. My instant favourite when Ray of Light came out and the most quintessentially “Madonna” song on the album. Long live Nothing Really Matters. 

UFFFF yes this the TEA.

Actually, NRM did fairly well overseas. It did much better than Drowned World and should have honestly been the third Ray of Light song to be included on GHV2. I also think it would've done much better as third single.

1. Frozen
  2. Ray of Light
  3. Nothing Really Matters
  4. The Power of Good-Bye / Skin (Remixes)
  5. Drowned World / Sky Fits Heaven (Remixes)
  6. Be Careful

These should have been the singles in that order. The Power of Good-Bye had such awful remixes that they could have just cancelled those all together and instead service Skin with some great remixes to the clubs like they did with Sky Fits Heaven. be Careful was also a wasted opportunity. That song is absolutely gorgeous and very overlooked.

8 hours ago, Ryder said:

Likely it would've been something like a CD1 VERONICA and a CD2 ELECTRONICA featuring mixes by Victor Calderone, William Orbit, Club69/Peter Rauhofer and BT & Sasha, Talvin Singh...and Richard Humpty?? 

In Q Magazine she mentioned VE would feature "the more tripped-out ambient shit" which is what I would describe the Frozen (Meltdown Mix) as so it may have been more along those lines and completely remixed by William Orbit, like an ambient remix album, similar to what Moby has done many times.

17 hours ago, steady75 said:

Yeah the lack of mixes for drowned world was odd. Luckily the one mix we got it utterly perfect. Not sure how they’re gonna pad those EP’s out. Maybe they’ll house them together as an EP 

The Power of Goodbye

Sky Fits Heaven

Skin

Drowned World

Has To Be

It's gonna be:

Ray of Light (Remixes, incl. Has to Be)
Drowned World / Sky Fits Heaven (Remixes)
The Power of Good-Bye (Remixes) / Skin

• Fighter unfeatured this topic
On 3/4/2021 at 11:56 AM, Shoful said:

Give. That they are going all out for these now. I hope they give us the bside songs!! We need Let Down Your Guard, Has To Be, Updown Suite, Ain’t No Big Deal, Fighting Spirit, Superpop, Broken, Ring My Bell, and Cyberraga on streaming!! 

Don’t forget gambler 

11 hours ago, Brendanlovesu1 said:

Maybe there's some unreleased mixes for TPOG in the vaults they're saving for a potential EP

It's possible, but I'm going to say unlikely as no one has ever mentioned them that I'm aware of. Usually something like that would slip and makes it into a trade magazine (back then). Even when M was re-recording Don't Cry For Me Argentina for the remixes and for Buenos Aires at the same time - that made it into Billboard. I can't see any of those popular remixers not testing the remixes at Tunnel or Arena or similar .. we'd have heard about it by now. But maybe ... (fingers crossed!) 

What's interesting for me about TPOGood-Bye is that before the video and the remixes that were released, the song was at the VERY TOP of my favourites ... up there at the time with Bad Girl and Deeper, Express Yourself and Vogue. Like I had FUCKING INCREDIBLE expectations for it. And the video was slick and she looked great - and the remixes were shit -- and then Billboard changed their rules on how songs charted at the exact moment TPOG hit, that it tanked. 

The song would have been or should have been #1 in the USA. And she performed it live all over Europe .. every two minutes she was performing that song.. "higherrrrrrrr!" and then never again would she perform it live. Funny ..