Frozen + Bedtime Story remixes on streaming 3/12 , 3/19

luckystar908

On 3/18/2021 at 9:10 PM, CYSMM said:

It's cool that they finally put them all, now it would be nice to add something that was commissioned but not released, for instance for Bedtime Story they could have just added the instrumental version and/or Junior's Sound Factory Extended Mix (10:49).

Anyways, they are finally making efforts...

Maybe they will put some goodies on future anniversary editions. Madonna (Debut) is turning 40 next year. I think by then, we‘ll have a good bunch of singles uploaded.

14 hours ago, animalinstinct said:

I mean the Orbital mix of Bedtime Story is just fucking amazing, isn’t it. 

Ughhh YES! One of my fave mixes for sure.

I think if the Ray of Light Tour had happened, this would have been the version she would have performed, seeing as she remembered and included it on RIT.

3 hours ago, steady75 said:

The way I thought I had all the Bedtime Story mixes cause I bought all the uk variants. I’ve never heard the Lush Picotti mixes and they’re absolutely brilliant. Why were these not mass released and Junior got all the glory?

flop fan

All the Mark Picotti mixes were included on the separate release called “Chapter II”

For some reason, either her or the label did not like him at all. Since his LDLHA mixes were not released either. Even though he basically reimagined the whole song with an actual orchestra and choir. Which is above and beyond compared to most non LP remixes. 

3 hours ago, GhostOrchid said:

I think they were't ready in time for the physical release so they just sent them to clubs later on.

I always wondered if they commissioned the mixes separately to try and boost the single in the US. Maybe they thought some fresh mixes would help it be a hit? BS was top 5 in the uk

35 minutes ago, rlittler81 said:

I always wondered if they commissioned the mixes separately to try and boost the single in the US. Maybe they thought some fresh mixes would help it be a hit? BS was top 5 in the uk

That is a possibility actually.. I just checked the chapter II was serviced to both clubs and radio. and the original release was the first one to miss the top 40. so, yeah maybe they released it as an additional push.

but then again the promo CD/vinyl of Chapter II states April 1995 as the release date, and that was before the single peaked.. so maybe not.

4 hours ago, rlittler81 said:

BS made it to #4 in the UK which was amazing after Take a Bow stalled at #16. But Warners UK had to pretty much beg her to come over and do promo for it, hence why the Brits happened and they tied the single release to happen the same week. If I remember correctly, it was her first performance on British TV since Like A Virgin, so there was quite the fuss.

Also worth noting that whilst BS was peaking in February in the UK, TAB was in the early stages of its six week run at #1, so BS wasn't released until late April in North America. Perhaps this is why the Lush remixes happened, they needed some fresh ones to inject new interest after imports probably quelled any chance of commercial success.

Volume is all over the map on the new "Bedtime Story" digital EP. Lush Vocal Edit is the same volume as on the promo CD, but for some reason the full Lush Vocal Mix is about 2 decibels louder.

And Junior's Dreamy Drum Dub, Junior's Wet Dream Mix, and Orbital Mix are actually at a LOWER volume on the digital EP than they are on the original US CD maxi, without the shaved peaks.

All the rest of the previously-released tracks seem to be at the same volume as they are on the original maxi CD issue.

14 hours ago, superbu said:

Volume is all over the map on the new "Bedtime Story" digital EP. Lush Vocal Edit is the same volume as on the promo CD, but for some reason the full Lush Vocal Mix is about 2 decibels louder.

And Junior's Dreamy Drum Dub, Junior's Wet Dream Mix, and Orbital Mix are actually at a LOWER volume on the digital EP than they are on the original US CD maxi, without the shaved peaks.

All the rest of the previously-released tracks seem to be at the same volume as they are on the original maxi CD issue.

Not surprising. I have heard streaming services automatically adjust the volume to match everything else but I guess that can’t be true?

What bugs me is the years of release. I use YT music and Bedtime Story is listed as being released in 2021. Or for eg Justify My Love is listed under albums rather than singles.

13 minutes ago, lucasciccone said:

The Junior's Single Mix version has reached more than 100.000k plays on Spotify, that's quite impressive since the numbers for the old remixes they've been putting out are very low. Does anyone know if it was added to some playlist? 

Rhino/Warner/her team are getting better with each of these releases. Marking them as new 2021 releases, they have the option to send a track to Spotify editors so it can be included on Release Radar for Madonna's fans on Spotify. This week they sent the Junior's Single Mix of "Bedtime Story" and that's why it got 100k streams in a day.

1 hour ago, Prayer said:

Rhino/Warner/her team are getting better with each of these releases. Marking them as new 2021 releases, they have the option to send a track to Spotify editors so it can be included on Release Radar for Madonna's fans on Spotify. This week they sent the Junior's Single Mix of "Bedtime Story" and that's why it got 100k streams in a day.

Thank you!! I didn't know any of this. That is definitely a smart move since the numbers of previously releases were very very low.

19 hours ago, Bjonkers said:

BS made it to #4 in the UK which was amazing after Take a Bow stalled at #16. But Warners UK had to pretty much beg her to come over and do promo for it, hence why the Brits happened and they tied the single release to happen the same week. If I remember correctly, it was her first performance on British TV since Like A Virgin, so there was quite the fuss.

Also worth noting that whilst BS was peaking in February in the UK, TAB was in the early stages of its six week run at #1, so BS wasn't released until late April in North America. Perhaps this is why the Lush remixes happened, they needed some fresh ones to inject new interest after imports probably quelled any chance of commercial success.

Ah that makes sense now, Take a Bow killed Bedtime Story in the US. I always wondered why.. An awesome video, Bjork, killer remixes.. It just didn't make sense

54 minutes ago, GhostOrchid said:

Ah that makes sense now, Take a Bow killed Bedtime Story in the US. I always wondered why.. An awesome video, Bjork, killer remixes.. It just didn't make sense

I think US radio also refused to play Bedtime Story if I remember correctly, it was too weird, and they were playing Don't Stop instead. 

"Bedtime Story" was never gonna work as a single in the US. It was just too Björk and very different to mainstream US hits at the time (alternative rock or R&B pop). Björk was critically acclaimed in the US with the "Debut" album (1993), but she wasn't a big seller there (the album got to #61 on the Billboard 200 and its biggest single, "Big Time Sensuality", to #88). She was in the UK and Europe, yes.

Releasing "Bedtime Story" as a single in the US was a big and brave artistic move. Who follows her biggest hit in years with THAT song and THAT video? It was kinda "OK, you've had your fucking Babyface #1 safe ballad hit from me, now let me do my thing". I think it was a very bold move - and another reason to love and appreciate her.

8 hours ago, Blue Jean said:

Not surprising. I have heard streaming services automatically adjust the volume to match everything else but I guess that can’t be true?

Oh, I was talking about the download. I haven't heard the streaming version. I was comparing wav files in an audio editor.  I just posted that because there are often questions on reissues about "has the sound been brickwalled."

Edited by superbu (see edit history)

3 hours ago, kesiak said:

I think US radio also refused to play Bedtime Story if I remember correctly, it was too weird, and they were playing Don't Stop instead. 

Yeah, I remember "Don't Stop" getting some airplay in the Seattle area, but it disappeared quickly. That's the only other song on the album besides "Secret" and "Take a Bow" that I could maybe see being a hit in America.

I'm not sure that US radio refused to play "Bedtime Story," it's just that listeners weren't requesting it, so it died a quick death.

On 3/20/2021 at 12:22 PM, thegoldencalf said:

All the Mark Picotti mixes were included on the separate release called “Chapter II”

For some reason, either her or the label did not like him at all. Since his LDLHA mixes were not released either. Even though he basically reimagined the whole song with an actual orchestra and choir. Which is above and beyond compared to most non LP remixes. 

I'm going to go on a limb and say it was her. 

I only say that because back when LDLHA remixes were released, WB used to maintain an area of their site dedicated to what singles where charting on any/every possible chart variation. 

I remember it was when a few songs from the Twister soundtrack were charting and they often would write these really great blurbs about how HOT the LDHLA mixes were and how they were doing on the dance charts and would they get a commercial release? It just seemed like they were BEHIND BEHIND the mixes. Now that could be said about anything/anyone they had money invested in, absolutely - but WB was definitely involved in a positive way, it seemed to me.

Click this for fun, omg:

https://web.archive.org/web/19961224005657/http://www.wbr.com/madonna/str009.htm

Here's a type of page they maintained, this one mentioning the remixes for DCFMA:

https://web.archive.org/web/19961222170944/http://www.wbr.com/radio/hotac.htm

https://web.archive.org/web/19961019140028/http://www.wbr.com/radio/t40cross.htm

I remember these like they were YESTERDAY, I refreshed them DAILY.

2 hours ago, captainjay said:

I'm going to go on a limb and say it was her. 

I only say that because back when LDLHA remixes were released, WB used to maintain an area of their site dedicated to what singles where charting on any/every possible chart variation. 

I remember it was when a few songs from the Twister soundtrack were charting and they often would write these really great blurbs about how HOT the LDHLA mixes were and how they were doing on the dance charts and would they get a commercial release? It just seemed like they were BEHIND BEHIND the mixes. Now that could be said about anything/anyone they had money invested in, absolutely - but WB was definitely involved in a positive way, it seemed to me.

Click this for fun, omg:

https://web.archive.org/web/19961224005657/http://www.wbr.com/madonna/str009.htm

Here's a type of page they maintained, this one mentioning the remixes for DCFMA:

https://web.archive.org/web/19961222170944/http://www.wbr.com/radio/hotac.htm

https://web.archive.org/web/19961019140028/http://www.wbr.com/radio/t40cross.htm

I remember these like they were YESTERDAY, I refreshed them DAILY.

I tried to get the scoop from Mark Picotti himself but he’s been very tight lipped about it. 
He only said all the dance mixes for LDHA were scrapped because she didn’t want to do anything clubby because of Evita coming up. But that doesn’t add up since as soon as Evita was released the DCFMA mixes came out. 
Whatever the case, it’s a shame they didn’t get released. They’re some of the best Madonna remixes in my opinion. 

10 hours ago, superbu said:

Yeah, I remember "Don't Stop" getting some airplay in the Seattle area, but it disappeared quickly. That's the only other song on the album besides "Secret" and "Take a Bow" that I could maybe see being a hit in America.

I'm not sure that US radio refused to play "Bedtime Story," it's just that listeners weren't requesting it, so it died a quick death.

Even though I love Bedtime Story and it’s video I think it’s pretty obvious that releasing that song as a single was confusing from a marketing perspective. Everything else surrounding the album was an rnb flavour. It was a strange choice to follow Take a Bow and it’s no shock it got no attention. I assume she/they probably hoped it would ride on the wave of the success of Take a Bow. I can imagine it’s biggest draw card was the video though. It may have made more sense to release it internationally only. Forbidden Love or Dont Stop would have been top 10 for certain. We can only assume Warner made a compromise with her because I can’t imagine they wanted to release that song.

7 hours ago, Blue Jean said:

Even though I love Bedtime Story and it’s video I think it’s pretty obvious that releasing that song as a single was confusing from a marketing perspective. Everything else surrounding the album was an rnb flavour. It was a strange choice to follow Take a Bow and it’s no shock it got no attention. I assume she/they probably hoped it would ride on the wave of the success of Take a Bow. I can imagine it’s biggest draw card was the video though. It may have made more sense to release it internationally only. Forbidden Love or Dont Stop would have been top 10 for certain. We can only assume Warner made a compromise with her because I can’t imagine they wanted to release that song.

It might have been confusing from the perspective of traditional marketing but long term I think it was a brilliant decision. Even if it didn’t chart that well I remember it got a lot of attention, both the video and the song. And it put the spotlight on her as an experimental mainstream artist. 
Brave decisions like that are what consolidated and secured her legacy over the years.
If she continued to ignore chart success and focused more on being an unapologetic artist in the 2010s I think she’d be considerably more successful these days.

On 3/22/2021 at 8:24 AM, Blue Jean said:

I love Bedtime Story too but kind of agree that other tracks on the album would have done better as singles certainly in the US and got more radio play but remember Take A Bow was her worst performing single at the time and ended her run of top 10 singles - so maybe they were thinking more international as it got to number 4 in the UK charts helped by the amazing brits performance.  When did she do the Pyjama party in the US maybe as it was the title track and had good remixes they wanted to release it and Take A Bow stayed much longer than they expected on the charts in the US and delayed it's release there. At the time I thought Human Nature was not a great single choice as not as accessible as Forbidden Love and Don't Stop and even Sanctuary but now realise it was the right choice