True Blue - Streaming Figures

baymad4her

As Madonna is putting her back catalogue on streaming sites, I was wondering how does it all work.

Like A Prayer remixes have been added, but, do they get added to the Like A Prayer singles sales, and what if you listen to Act Of Contrition, does that get added to Act Of Contrition singles sales, or the Like A Prayer single or album sales?

Same with Justify My Love, would Express Yourself (Shep's 'Spressin' Himself Re-Remix) be added to Justify My Love sales or Express Yourself?

Does anyone know as it's very confusing. 

You mean for certification purposes? Depends on the country and its music certification regulating bodies 

In America ,according to RIAA rules,  it depends on what the label wants , they can actually choose if it goes to the "original album" or a compilation or a single or even sometimes to two of those at the same time (a lot of Rihanna's singles and albums have benefited from this "double counting" of sorts, but others like Carly Simon have decided to use it on one album only )

I’m not even sure how they add things with historical releases now to be honest. Isn’t there a chart rule that says a song can only be around for 3 months before the weight of each streams is reduced. Maybe that’s just a chart thing tho. I can’t see Like A Prayer Bass Dub knocking Blinding Lights out the way any time soon.

I presume these will all go to the respective album. Seems sensible for historic releases. 
but honestly I don’t know. Probably what Ian said to be fair. 

I also suspect it matters if they release it as an Album or a Single. Something like the Rain EP might have to qualify as a specific  EP or album in its own right because it has Five different songs on it. 

Rain

Fever

Waiting

Up Down Suite

Bad Girl.

14 minutes ago, steady75 said:

I’m not even sure how they add things with historical releases now to be honest. Isn’t there a chart rule that says a song can only be around for 3 months before the weight of each streams is reduced. Maybe that’s just a chart thing tho. I can’t see Like A Prayer Bass Dub knocking Blinding Lights out the way any time soon.

I presume these will all go to the respective album. Seems sensible for historic releases. 
but honestly I don’t know. Probably what Ian said to be fair. 

I also suspect it matters if they release it as an Album or a Single. Something like the Rain EP might have to qualify as a specific  EP or album in its own right because it has Five different songs on it. 

Rain

Fever

Waiting

Up Down Suite

Bad Girl.

I think that's in the UK only, and you're mixing 2 different things, sales and chart rules, the two don't abide by the same rules either as it's handled by 2 different companies

I think the original post didn't specify enough, so that's why I'm thinking he meant sales as in for certs only

17 minutes ago, Ian said:

I think that's in the UK only, and you're mixing 2 different things, sales and chart rules, the two don't abide by the same rules either as it's handled by 2 different companies

I think the original post didn't specify enough, so that's why I'm thinking he meant sales as in for certs only

What I mean is, I don't understand where Act Of Contrition on the EP, Like A Prayer, gets allocated to, sales wise and how they figure it out. I don't think streaming is straightforward or clear.

8 hours ago, steady75 said:

They used to have all sorts of rules back in the day that have changed through the years. For instance, if there isnt a physical single then it doesnt count for the Hot 100 - I think Into the Groove suffered from this as it wasnt a single in the US - was the B-side to Angel, which is what ended up charting at #5

That changed in the late 90's I believe which allowed Beautiful Stranger and American Pie to benefit as neither had a physical release but both charted pretty well on the hot 100 especially for not have a sales component.

As for your example about a song from 1989 knocking a song from 2020 off the #1 spot. Well, this basically has happend twice now in the last years based on billboard removing the rule of Xmas songs not being able to chart.  The last 2 years, Mariah's 1993 hit All I Want has knocked, most likely a current hit, off the top spot.  I get it, Mariah's is a cultural and global phenomen and not to be compared to the specific dub you chose but point is, it could actually happen as far as rules go.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/6/2021 at 1:31 AM, ScottyX said:

piggybacking on this topic ..

which singles have been released to digital platforms? I just want to be sure I've not missed any. thanks

Like A Prayer (US Maxi-Single + Promo Mixes)

Vogue (US Maxi-Single)

Hanky Panky (US Maxi-Single)

Justify My Love (US Maxi-Single + Promo Mixes)

Rescue Me (US Maxi-Single + Promo Mixes)

Erotica (US Maxi-Single)

Secret (US Maxi-Single)

Human Nature (US Maxi-Single)

Frozen (UK Maxi-Single + Promo Mixes)

Music (US Maxi-Single - Groove Armada Club Mix is not full-length but a 4:16 fade out edit)

Fever/Bad Girl (UK Maxi-Single + Promo Mixes) and Love Don't Live Here Anymore (US CD Single + Promo Mixes) are coming soon.

8 hours ago, rlittler81 said:

Like A Prayer (US Maxi-Single + Promo Mixes)

Vogue (US Maxi-Single)

Hanky Panky (US Maxi-Single)

Justify My Love (US Maxi-Single + Promo Mixes)

Rescue Me (US Maxi-Single + Promo Mixes)

Erotica (US Maxi-Single)

Secret (US Maxi-Single)

Human Nature (US Maxi-Single)

Frozen (UK Maxi-Single + Promo Mixes)

Music (US Maxi-Single - Groove Armada Club Mix is not full-length but a 4:16 fade out edit)

Fever/Bad Girl (UK Maxi-Single + Promo Mixes) and Love Don't Live Here Anymore (US CD Single + Promo Mixes) are coming soon.

concerning the promos of rescue me which ones are?

34 minutes ago, dead or alive said:

concerning the promos of rescue me which ones are?

Technically none of the mixes are promo only, they've all been released somewhere (Demanding Dub in Europe and Alternate Single Mix in Japan). The promo dubs were missed, sadly.

28 minutes ago, luckystar908 said:

Technically none of the mixes are promo only, they've all been released somewhere (Demanding Dub in Europe and Alternate Single Mix in Japan). The promo dubs were missed, sadly.

Agreed, I was really hoping for, Houseboat, Lifeboat and Disaster Dub. Maybe they will be released to streaming eventually.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • baymad4her changed the title to True Blue - Streaming Figures
11 hours ago, baymad4her said:

Does anyone know if the 35th Anniversary of True Blue will contribute to the original album sales or this new one?

The streams have been put together, so there's that. Whether the digital downloads will count as True Blue album sales? I'm not sure but I think they will

12 hours ago, baymad4her said:

Does anyone know if the 35th Anniversary of True Blue will contribute to the original album sales or this new one?

probably, since its the same album, just a re-release

On 5/13/2021 at 10:51 AM, baymad4her said:

Does anyone know how many streams Madonna has done now with all her "new" releases to streaming services?

5-10 million

• 11 months later...