Managing your Madonna library in Apple Music/iTunes

RUADJAI

Do you guys have any tips for people who use Apple Music? I'm constantly trying to listen to for example Confessions on a Dancefloor. Hung Up will play normal and then Get Together comes on and it's the Tour Studio Version. Totally killing my vibe. Then I have to go and try and find the album version in a different place. It is so annoying. I'm willing to leave Apple Music if there's something better, but I need all of MY FILES (aka Tour Studio Versions and all that) in the quality I have them in available anywhere I want. Perhaps maybe I just have a random setting on that's messing me up... IDK

Any ideas? 

(I should note I also use iTunes Match which, to my understanding, the only difference is allows you to use the cloud for all personal files but allows you to download them on any device in the quality you uploaded them. While Apple Music by itself allows you to upload all your personal files but should you download them on another device they will be a set 256kbps. Or if your main machine should fail, you wouldn't have access to the original files.)

You have to tag correctly your files, if the ID tag of the file is not detailed enought then everything is going to be messy. Tags include artist, album name, track name, track number, for example. That information is included on the file, the title is not enought. 

So if you tag correctly the confessions tour demos and the confessions album, they'll play correctly.

This is a free software you can use (It's not only for mp3)

https://www.mp3tag.de/en/

Love, and let me know if you need further assistance.

1 hour ago, RUADJAI said:

I should note I also use iTunes Match which, to my understanding, the only difference is allows you to use the cloud for all personal files but allows you to download them on any device in the quality you uploaded them. While Apple Music by itself allows you to upload all your personal files but should you download them on another device they will be a set 256kbps. Or if your main machine should fail, you wouldn't have access to the original files.

I think the use of iTunes Match is your issue here. I don't use Apple Music (I use Spotify), but I use iTunes for managing and organizing my own files. I've read quite a bit about how users of iTunes Match have had issues with it screwing up their own personal files in ways you've described one of the replies to this thread on the apple forums describes nearly your exact problem. I suggest turning off iTunes Match and keeping everything off the cloud, this way it will only use whatever metadata you enter and won't try to correspond with entries in iTunes' database.

33 minutes ago, voguemadonna said:

I think the use of iTunes Match is your issue here. I don't use Apple Music (I use Spotify), but I use iTunes for managing and organizing my own files. I've read quite a bit about how users of iTunes Match have had issues with it screwing up their own personal files in ways you've described one of the replies to this thread on the apple forums describes nearly your exact problem. I suggest turning off iTunes Match and keeping everything off the cloud, this way it will only use whatever metadata you enter and won't try to correspond with entries in iTunes' database.

The only problem I see with this is then I will have to manually sync music to my other devices which can be quite tedious. Right?

I actually really like Apple Music - I've tried Spotify and Tidal and wasn't crazy about either but Apple Music works for me. Got iTunes Match as well. I've got a slight OCD when it comes to my music library, naming, tagging, etc and I make playlists obsessively, even for albums, so when I wanna listen to, say, "Confessions..." I put that playlist on. 

I see your issue, I’m sort of the same, but not. I’m SO old school. Like, I still manually use my iTunes and create playlists. Which I then transfer to my devices. I find it more organized for myself and am terrified on how to incorporate Apple Music into that. Because I love my own files, and just really use Spotify for streaming. Not sure if that relates to your problem Bahaha. I guess what I’m saying is - I know what you mean but I just don’t know how to make that leap to merge the two. I’m not making sense am I. Hah!

1 hour ago, RUADJAI said:

The only problem I see with this is then I will have to manually sync music to my other devices which can be quite tedious. Right?

Not from my personal experience, I just create a playlist (you can also select to sync your entire library, or all songs by a certain artist, I just make a giant playlist with everything I want on my device and sync it that way), plug the device into my computer and sync it using iTunes. It usually only takes a few minutes. The only times it has take a long time or I've found it tedious is when I've been backing up a device or restoring a back up from an old device onto a new one.

2 hours ago, kesiak said:

I actually really like Apple Music - I've tried Spotify and Tidal and wasn't crazy about either but Apple Music works for me. Got iTunes Match as well. I've got a slight OCD when it comes to my music library, naming, tagging, etc and I make playlists obsessively, even for albums, so when I wanna listen to, say, "Confessions..." I put that playlist on. 

But do you ever run across the problem I was talking about? Where sometimes I play something and it plays a different version of that song? 

I won't use it, I don't trust it based on people indicating that sometimes songs or albums like I'm Going To Tell You A Secret just disappearing.

No. Music I want to listen to cannot just disappear. 

I maintain a very organized iTunes playlist system. The last 25z are for new items I have yet to organize.

MDisco-1.png.020cafd486f0c8c6fdf51bb830b6ae0f.png

MDisco-2.png.38fd5de146feea61faf59b207eae5ccb.png

MDisco-3.png.a0f6358cadd7c071a9a579c5f32bbe97.png

3 hours ago, Andymad said:

I see your issue, I’m sort of the same, but not. I’m SO old school. Like, I still manually use my iTunes and create playlists. Which I then transfer to my devices. I find it more organized for myself and am terrified on how to incorporate Apple Music into that. Because I love my own files, and just really use Spotify for streaming. Not sure if that relates to your problem Bahaha. I guess what I’m saying is - I know what you mean but I just don’t know how to make that leap to merge the two. I’m not making sense am I. Hah!

You're making total sense. 

We were the original group of people with digital files and so we all became used to how we wanted to curate and organize the files we acquired. Because really, no one - no services were offering that when we first started collecting our little mp3s, so we got creative and made our own systems.

And then these services appeared and upset how we liked to look at or search and so now we're reluctant to embrace the new technology because we're set in our ways.

And it's not always that we're not willing to embrace - but in the case of Madonna, until recently, she hasn't even made available all of her material. So how could we embrace streaming if it was missing the bulk of her catalog that we delve into (not just studio album versions and classic remixes, but the promo-cuts and fan-made or bootleg or whatever ..)

6 minutes ago, RUADJAI said:

what do you use then?!?@

I just have everything on my computer sorted by artist, folder, album, maxi single etc and pick stuff as i go and drop in winamp (old school)  

Fav songs on my phone (android) organized the same way.

Husband uses itunes, he can't stand my method.  If I had to go through my music and add it to itunes it would take weeks to tag everything and update artwork. I have to many TB's of music to have patience for itunes to read and sort it lol

I had this issue, but had to fix it manually.

What happens is that when you sign up to use Apple Music, you’ll have 2 libraries: the music library on your hard drive and then the music library on the cloud. The music on the cloud is what has the errors. Apple will try to “Match” what you have in your hard drive to what they have in their library in Apple Music streaming.

I forget exactly what I did to fix it, but I believe I just had to rename everything and re-update the artwork. I also had to remove/delete everything incorrect that was uploaded on the cloud, then re-upload it once it was renamed.

10 hours ago, ScottyX said:

I just have everything on my computer sorted by artist, folder, album, maxi single etc and pick stuff as i go and drop in winamp (old school)  

Fav songs on my phone (android) organized the same way.

Husband uses itunes, he can't stand my method.  If I had to go through my music and add it to itunes it would take weeks to tag everything and update artwork. I have to many TB's of music to have patience for itunes to read and sort it lol

I used the first month or two of lockdown to really clean mine up, otherwise I'd never get that opportunity. Each day I log on work around 6:30am and last spring I'd log off at 4pm and for an hour or two take my laptop outside on my balcony and sit in the fresh air and just update until I was done. It took a very long time, but it was worth it and I had the time and I always wanted to do it. 

I had a mix of .wav .mp3 and .mp4 files and I converted them all to mp3s so I could then clean up the artwork (I couldn't over-write the images assigned to mp4s and wav files just stayed blank). It helped that there was so much activity going on here so I could download better versions of some of what I had, and also ripped a ton of old Madonna CDs that had been tucked away for years. All at once. One and done. Big project.

And now it's done and easy to maintain. 

11 hours ago, captainjay said:

I used the first month or two of lockdown to really clean mine up, otherwise I'd never get that opportunity. Each day I log on work around 6:30am and last spring I'd log off at 4pm and for an hour or two take my laptop outside on my balcony and sit in the fresh air and just update until I was done. It took a very long time, but it was worth it and I had the time and I always wanted to do it. 

I had a mix of .wav .mp3 and .mp4 files and I converted them all to mp3s so I could then clean up the artwork (I couldn't over-write the images assigned to mp4s and wav files just stayed blank). It helped that there was so much activity going on here so I could download better versions of some of what I had, and also ripped a ton of old Madonna CDs that had been tucked away for years. All at once. One and done. Big project.

And now it's done and easy to maintain. 

I don't have the patience for it. lol

My folders are very organized , just not suited for itunes

I have iTunes Match/Apple Music and it's gotten better over the years with my Madge library. There are occasional hiccups where if I play an Apple-created playlist that has Madonna on it the system might play a live or instrumental version, but it's flawless with my own playlists. I think if I follow Clark Kent's suggestion and tag things better that might clear up any remaining issues. 

For me, the convenience of being able to magically get everything through my phone/the cloud is just too convenient. Especially since it won't ever mess up your library on your actual hard drive, I'm confident in it.

12 minutes ago, schumakg86 said:

I have iTunes Match/Apple Music and it's gotten better over the years with my Madge library. There are occasional hiccups where if I play an Apple-created playlist that has Madonna on it the system might play a live or instrumental version, but it's flawless with my own playlists. I think if I follow Clark Kent's suggestion and tag things better that might clear up any remaining issues. 

For me, the convenience of being able to magically get everything through my phone/the cloud is just too convenient. Especially since it won't ever mess up your library on your actual hard drive, I'm confident in it.

Yeah, the "do nothing" management is pretty hard to give up. 

I think I'm going to make a playlist so I can add the wrong songs as they happen, then go in and give them some attention. Hopefully that will cure my problems.