The Grammy's 2021

I think The Weeknd was arrogant to EXPECT anything... but honestly after watching the first 30 minutes and then hearing about the winners... I think they have lost all credibility with being the authority of music. They handed out awards to "meme music" and sub par artist who obviously paid them off.  And honestly Im starting to understand Kanye's 2011 rant at the VMAS. 

Talk amongst yourselves. 

13 hours ago, RUADJAI said:

I think The Weeknd was arrogant to EXPECT anything... but honestly after watching the first 30 minutes and then hearing about the winners... I think they have lost all credibility with being the authority of music. They handed out awards to "meme music" and sub par artist who obviously paid them off.  And honestly Im starting to understand Kanye's 2011 rant at the VMAS. 

Queen, ABBA and Diana Ross (to name just a few) have ZERO Grammys (Lifetime Achievement consolation prizes don't count) to their names but Blue Ivy has already got one... :)

I'm sorry, but I chuckle whenever people use the "awards don't mean anything anymore" card; it's always people whose favorite artists haven't won major awards in recent times who say that. It reminds me of the "he/she is already a legend and he/she has nothing left to prove" excuse that fans of legacy artists use whenever it comes to the charts and their favorite artists not being able to score a hit, even though that mantra mysteriously stops mattering the moment that a legacy artist does top the charts (i.e. as was the case with Mariah recently).

Anyway, I'm happy for Beyonce although I personally didn't enjoy her remix of Megan's song. Was really happy for Dua winning a Grammy as well, and I just rolled my eyes at Taylor winning AOTY since she'll no doubt win it again next year since she'll have 2 more albums that she'll inevitably submit for nomination and she's a Grammy darling. It's just tiring seeing her win the same award over and over again.

don't think they are the indicator of quality as people like to make them sound to be - many M's work were not even nominated. the fact that neither Björk nor Kate Bush have ever won one is one of many examples as to why they should not be taken as this ultimate validation. that and the snob that Melodrama got are unforgivable to me.

that being said, I was really happy for the 2 awards Fiona Apple got. I thought she deserved AOTY, and to me it's complete BS that she didn't even get a nomination for that category. but apart from that, and the fact that she doesn't really care for these things, it still made me happy that she got 2.

Cardi is not a good live performer. She lacks the energy and stage presence of someone that commands an audience. If it weren't for audio gimmicks (slams and boot stomping sounds like Madonna's at the beginning of Fever/Girlie Show) there is no oomph to what she's putting out there. And she's not in good shape - and I'm not body shaming her, but I'm not in olympic shape which is why I'd never go on stage and do the splits, I'd do something I could pull off. But she's up there laying on a giant bed and tries to spread her legs and can't even do it, so it looks sloppy and unprofessional. 

The other girl, I'm not familiar with her or her music, but she has some moves. And she's sexy. 

My god that was boring. 

16 hours ago, RUADJAI said:

I have to say, The Black Pumas whom I’ve never heard before were really good and deserving of being there. 

See that's what should happen -- you watch a show like that and it should open you to music or performers you'd maybe miss. Quality shit. These shows are becoming more what you don't want to do as an artist: be a lame-ass, no-talent mess .. 

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, deathproof said:

Well just letting you know, that referring to a female of color as “that other girl,” especially in this day and age, just comes off as ignorant 👍

That is the most ridiculous thing I've heard today. 

If it's offensive that I do not know the name of a person and refer to her as the "other girl" when I'm referring to one of two singers/performers, race is irrelevant.  Oh my fucking god. Get a fucking grip.

6 hours ago, captainjay said:

If it's offensive that I do not know the name of a person and refer to her as the "other girl" when I'm referring to one of two singers/performers, race is irrelevant.  Oh my fucking god. Get a fucking grip.

Maybe you should get a grip? Her name was obviously in the video title, and in the introduction. I don’t know how you missed that? Also, I didn’t even call you any names.

Race is never irrelevant. 

18 hours ago, deathproof said:

Maybe you should get a grip? Her name was obviously in the video title, and in the introduction. I don’t know how you missed that? Also, I didn’t even call you any names.

Race is never irrelevant. 

Nah, I'm fine, thanks. I'm not being a cunt to another fan in a safe space because I want to be a cunt. 

And I'm not inserting race or racism into a little blip where I commented about one performer I don't think has very much talent and complimented another I didn't happen to know the name of at the time.  I know her name now - I've looked her up and heard more of her music and quite like what I see and hear as I did then, but I already said that. 

And race is irrelevant in most conversations unless the conversation is about race or you want it to be about race? But I did not make the conversation about race, so I'll let you have that little conversation from this point forward on your own, enjoy!

On 4/7/2021 at 7:42 PM, captainjay said:

White pop artist music fandoms love otherizing artists of color as part of their racism, and in this day and age it's hard to trust people in spaces such as this because it seems to happen constantly. Either it's bashing artists of color or otherizing them. Tbh you spent more time listing everything that sucks about Cardi B than taking 2 seconds to learn the name of "the other girl" and that might look sus to some. That is all. I don't think there's any need to fight about it though. 

14 hours ago, captainjay said:

Nah, I'm fine, thanks. I'm not being a cunt to another fan in a safe space because I want to be a cunt. 

And I'm not inserting race or racism into a little blip where I commented about one performer I don't think has very much talent and complimented another I didn't happen to know the name of at the time.  I know her name now - I've looked her up and heard more of her music and quite like what I see and hear as I did then, but I already said that. 

And race is irrelevant in most conversations unless the conversation is about race or you want it to be about race? But I did not make the conversation about race, so I'll let you have that little conversation from this point forward on your own, enjoy!

I wasn’t even making a personal attack on you. I was just pointing one little thing out. For some reason you took it personal.

19 hours ago, Fighter said:

White pop artist music fandoms love otherizing artists of color as part of their racism, and in this day and age it's hard to trust people in spaces such as this because it seems to happen constantly. Either it's bashing artists of color or otherizing them. Tbh you spent more time listing everything that sucks about Cardi B than taking 2 seconds to learn the name of "the other girl" and that might look sus to some. That is all. I don't think there's any need to fight about it though. 

No one is fighting -- just expressing ourselves :)