Favorite Vocals

Shoful

Favorite Vocals  

44 members voted

1. 1. Which Era Is Your Favorite Vocally?

• Madonna - Like A Virgin
    • True Blue - I’m Breathless
    • Immaculate Collection - Bedtime Stories
    • Evita - Ray of Light
    • Music - Confessions
    • Hard Candy - Celebration
    • MDNA - Rebel Heart
    • Madame X

I feel as though Madonna’s vocals have been continuously evolving and changing drastically throughout her career. I feel that her voice remains a certain way for a couple of eras and I grouped them up as so. This poll is more so about which vocals are your favorite sounding and not a poll about which album period is your best. I want the focus to be on her vocals. Please share your thoughts as well :) 

My favorite vocal era from Madonna is probably Madame X! Even though her voice isn’t as powerful as the Like A Prayer days, I feel like now it is more diverse. The many sounds of Madame X fit her changing voice throughout the album and her raw vocals really shine through in songs like Looking for Mercy. I also really love the way she manipulates her voice in some of the songs like the spoken part and pre disco sections of God Control. Also she sounded AMAZING on the MXT

I feel like a lot of people would say the Evita era, but even thought she trained her voice to sound amazing, I feel like it did more bad than good to her voice, I feel like after that, she struggled to sing with her original voice and the Evita voice was too demanding for her. I honestly wish that she had never trained her voice, loved her voice through True Blue to Someting to Remember.

14 minutes ago, aleex123 said:

I feel like a lot of people would say the Evita era, but even thought she trained her voice to sound amazing, I feel like it did more bad than good to her voice, I feel like after that, she struggled to sing with her original voice and the Evita voice was too demanding for her. I honestly wish that she had never trained her voice, loved her voice through True Blue to Someting to Remember.

She was known to strain her voice a lot pre ray of light era which technically isn't very good for your chords. just before Erotica, she had a lot of songs in which she was too nasally, sang with a high pitch and raspy voice at times. For someone who had no vocal training, that kind of vocal technique won't last as she ages. The training she got out of evita had her sing more at a lower register which she became comfortable with that made her discover her new voice by Ray of light. The training is part of her story, without it, she would've done Vegas and singing her old songs over and over. lol

I think she really hit a sweet spot vocally around 1999/2000. It was less airy than her 'Ray Of Light' voice and had more power. 'Time Stood Still' and 'Runaway Lover' really show her voice off. I also love her deeper Erotica/Bedtime Stories voice. 'Rescue Me' deserves a special mention for being her most deep and soulful vocal ever.

Guest Nobody Knows Me

Evita - Ray of Light. She may not have been able to keep up the voice live for very long but she sounded phenomenal while it lasted.

9 hours ago, rlittler81 said:

I think she really hit a sweet spot vocally around 1999/2000. It was less airy than her 'Ray Of Light' voice and had more power. 'Time Stood Still' and 'Runaway Lover' really show her voice off. I also love her deeper Erotica/Bedtime Stories voice. 'Rescue Me' deserves a special mention for being her most deep and soulful vocal ever.

I also noticed that, her voice during that time was very distinctive, it's also more noticeable on the demos from the Music era, "Arioso", "Little Girl", "Liquid Love" and "Like An Angel Passing Through My Room".

16 minutes ago, aleex123 said:

I think it's kind of funny that no one has chosen Hard Candy - Celebration and MDNA - Rebel Heart, but I've got to mention that her voice in Celebration and Broken was amazing.

There's a reason :Madonna006:

She legit sounds like a dying crow on Hard Candy and during the S&S tour. :Madonna009:

Imagine ANYONE choosing Hard Candy - Celebration??!#   The delusion. 

I personally would choose a larger chunk... from True Blue to MUSIC.

I think Madonna sang best before she knew "how" to sing. She just went in and did it and it always came out amazing and fresh and new. Most of her collaborators say.. in one take. 

I think Vogue is one of the best vocals ever. It's so unique and opulent. The way she sings "everywhere you turn there's heartache"... I didn't even know the word was heartache for yeeeeears because of her stylistic way of vocalizing it. 

IMHO, it's a tie between Erotica and Ray of Light (to be honest I voted for the first one). We can agree she's not properly a vocalist, it's fair to admit it, but her 'lack' of vocal range is beautifully balanced by her interpretations. I've always seen her more as a storyteller, a bard, than a regular singer: she makes the songs hers and then gives them life, expressing a wide range of emotions, every shade of them. I think her voice acquired the characteristics we all know in two different moments in the '90s: during the early' 90s, when she added the whispering and speaking styles, and in late '90s, when she expanded her voice and learned to use it. During the Erotica era, IMHO, her voice got warmer, charming and sensual, in the Ray of Light era, she learned to control it and it's clear she discovered a part of it she didn't know she had, in particular the low register and the high one. It's cute to notice that those albums were made to exalt the changes in her voice and the music genres were well-chosen. I finish saying that in these last years I've been pleasantly surprised she continued to modify her way to sing, seconding her voice: due to aging, her low register seems to be expanded, it sounds more 'mature' and I really like she decides to bring these new nuances of her voice out. 

Edited by Loki (see edit history)