Vogue

EgoRod

9 hours ago, rlittler81 said:

I watched a interview she did with Molly Meldrum in 1998 just before the release of Ray Of Light and she did admit she’s terrible at choosing lead singles. Got the impression she wasn’t sure Frozen was the best choice. I remember reading in ICON that WB preferred Frozen over ROL as the lead single. Interesting that she didn’t see the potential in Vogue at the time. Kind of proves she was never just about trends or fads with her single releases. If she was wanting to capitalise on a voguing as a trend she would have insisted it be released as a single rather than a b-side. 

Also when it’s your work it’s hard to see it the way other people see it. 
I’m not a huge fan of ROL but Frozen is probably her best and most unusual lead single. So glad they didn’t go with ROL

I’d love a comprehensive box set of her work with extensive liner notes detailing all these facts like on the Prince box sets where a historian gives information on the recording process, release information etc. We know very little about her work in the studio or how WB handled her releases back then. 808 State have recently started putting their singles on streaming, the same as M but they give some history and back story to each release. I wish M’s team would do this.

19 hours ago, rlittler81 said:

I watched a interview she did with Molly Meldrum in 1998 just before the release of Ray Of Light and she did admit she’s terrible at choosing lead singles. Got the impression she wasn’t sure Frozen was the best choice. I remember reading in ICON that WB preferred Frozen over ROL as the lead single. Interesting that she didn’t see the potential in Vogue at the time. 

There are also documented examples where the opposite happened - Nile Rodgers, for example, didn't want "Like A Virgin" to be the lead single but Madonna insisted on it. :)

12 hours ago, Aiwa08 said:

So if the original version of Vogue is on the japanese promo, then the original planned single of "Keep It Together" would be something like this:

I love the transition between Keep It Together and Vogue. Works really well...

Also the theme on the songs work together: the family, friendship and the ballroom scene.

6 minutes ago, Aiwa08 said:

I don't know why Warner didn't released an "enhanced" Like A Prayer album, including Supernatural & Vogue. The sales would have been huge. Vogue didn't fix in "I'm Breathless" (In my opinion).

I think it would fit Like A Prayer even less to be honest. 

Yeah like a Prayer already have some heavyweight numbers in it.

Vogue in I'm Breathless was a way to bring attention to a record that wasn't mainstream, and they did well doing the Now I'm following you second part as a warm up to Vogue.

I would love a Keep It together, Vogue, Rescue me EP

1 hour ago, Aiwa08 said:

I don't know why Warner didn't released an "enhanced" Like A Prayer album, including Supernatural & Vogue. The sales would have been huge. Vogue don't fit in "I'm Breathless" (In my opinion).

Probably because they needed something extra to sell I'm Breathless. Even to this day it's Madonna's most overlooked album.

5 minutes ago, thegoldencalf said:

Probably because they needed something extra to sell I'm Breathless. Even to this day it's Madonna's most overlooked album.

I wonder how I'm Breathless would have performed had 'Vogue' not been the lead single or added to the album? I can't imagine any other song from that album having the same level of success. I think 'Hanky Panky' only got to the top 10 off the back of 'Vogue's success and the Blond Ambition tour being so huge. I agree, it's a very overlooked album.

2 hours ago, rlittler81 said:

I wonder how I'm Breathless would have performed had 'Vogue' not been the lead single or added to the album? I can't imagine any other song from that album having the same level of success. I think 'Hanky Panky' only got to the top 10 off the back of 'Vogue's success and the Blond Ambition tour being so huge. I agree, it's a very overlooked album.

I think the album itself did well and the Vogue gave it a extra hmmfp . With Sooner Or Later winning the award and all. Also there's always a commercial interest for gimmicky swing , jazzy music.

23 hours ago, thegoldencalf said:

Ok so I went back and checked the info I had. The Japanese promo came out in late Jan - early Feb way before Vogue was released anywhere else.

That was supposed to be the final version, that was edited down into the single version to be used as a b-side on the KIT single.

Eventually it became a separate single and they used elements from the Bette Davis Dub to change the intro, making it into the final released version.

Hi, madonnadiscography list the Japan promo as released in May... what’s the source of info for it being issued earlier? 

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
On 4/3/2021 at 5:18 PM, Aiwa08 said:

So if the original version of Vogue is on the japanese promo, then the original planned single of "Keep It Together" would be something like this:

Hidden Content

I love the transition between Keep It Together and Vogue. Works really well...

Could you reupload this edit? Thanks

On 4/4/2021 at 1:39 AM, thegoldencalf said:

It’s the other way around. The Japanese version is the “original” that was mixed into the 12” and the single version. And then all these mixes were chopped off into the album version.

Initially it was meant to be a little dance track as a b-side to keep it together. And WB pressured Madonna, who wasn’t crazy about the song, to release it as a single.

Yep, that’s the reason why I had to hunt down that Japanese promo CD, I ‘had’ to get that original mix as it wasn’t available anywhere else. I still prefer this version over all the other mixes / edits.