Vogue

EgoRod

Shep’s on the fly dub was apparently made for passengers boarding flights in 1990. Absolutely no idea if this is true but that’s what I heard years ago. It was commissioned for this reason, hence the name or it could be something completely made up. Great mix though, sadly sourced from cassette but it’s definitely official.

46 minutes ago, EgoRod said:

Yeah that's why I get confused because I don't see that anywhere and it is different ending

Strange it’s never appeared anywhere else. To me, this is clearly the original mix before it was edited for the single then after hearing Goh Hotoda’s Bette Davis Dub, it was extended for the album version.

1 hour ago, BadGurlMadge said:

Isn’t that almost the same as the single version?

It also has alternate vocals - probably the same ones which were in the multi-track- i still prefer the album/video version though plus there was also the extended instrumental from the warner promo CD-R ? cant remember what it was called but its the only lossless instrumental we have

27 minutes ago, wtg1987 said:

It also has alternate vocals - probably the same ones which were in the multi-track- i still prefer the album/video version though plus there was also the extended instrumental from the warner promo CD-R ? cant remember what it was called but its the only lossless instrumental we have

I can't hear the alternate verses, I think she says Come on Vogue once more but not the alternate verses

The instrumental I think is the one listed as Unreleased in Remixology

There is nothing new in the japanese version. It's just the song edited using parts from the single version and the 12'' version. Am I the only one who notes the changes of volume and EQ when you play the song? (Check the song at 2:02 and 4:35)  Forget this, it was a normalize thing from my music player.

For me, in my opinion, this is a local japanese edit (official but local) not from a master tape mixed by Shep Pettibone.

To me, the Japan version is the original, unedited version of the song which was then later edited down to the 'Single Version' then after the remixes had been created, the intro was changed and this became the album version, sort of a hybrid of the single version and the Bette Davis dub.

5 hours ago, EgoRod said:

And what about the On the Fly Dub?

Sounds official to me, few vocal bits in it that aren't in any other version and some of the musical elements are unique to the mix, not the usual copy and paste job that most unofficial mixes are, so I see it as official. It's almost like an extended 'Strike-A-Pose' dub as it has lots of that mix's elements.

23 hours ago, wtg1987 said:

Is that available somewhere? Anyone have that?

5 hours ago, Aiwa08 said:

There is nothing new in the japanese version. It's just the song edited using parts from the single version and the 12'' version. Am I the only one who notes the changes of volume and EQ when you play the song? (Check the song at 2:02 and 4:35). For me, in my opinion, this is a local japanese edit (official but local) not from a master tape mixed by Shep Pettibone.

It’s the other way around. The Japanese version is the “original” that was mixed into the 12” and the single version. And then all these mixes were chopped off into the album version.

Initially it was meant to be a little dance track as a b-side to keep it together. And WB pressured Madonna, who wasn’t crazy about the song, to release it as a single.

27 minutes ago, thegoldencalf said:

It’s the other way around. The Japanese version is the “original” that was mixed into the 12” and the single version. And then all these mixes were chopped off into the album version.

Initially it was meant to be a little dance track as a b-side to keep it together. And WB pressured Madonna, who wasn’t crazy about the song, to release it as a single.

I watched a interview she did with Molly Meldrum in 1998 just before the release of Ray Of Light and she did admit she’s terrible at choosing lead singles. Got the impression she wasn’t sure Frozen was the best choice. I remember reading in ICON that WB preferred Frozen over ROL as the lead single. Interesting that she didn’t see the potential in Vogue at the time. Kind of proves she was never just about trends or fads with her single releases. If she was wanting to capitalise on a voguing as a trend she would have insisted it be released as a single rather than a b-side. 

1 hour ago, thegoldencalf said:

So the original version was send to Warner Japan before to be A-side?

1 hour ago, Aiwa08 said:

My guess would be... the Japan version is what probably would have been released as the B-Side of 'Keep It Together' but WB must have said for it to be a single and they went back and did the shorter 'Single Version'. Maybe it was on the Japan CD by accident? I don't know the date/month the Japan CD was released, maybe it was just before the song was released, hence the mistake? That CD has 'Keep It Together' on it which was released January 1990 so maybe 'Vogue' was a last minute addition to the promo CD?

3 hours ago, Aiwa08 said:

Ok so I went back and checked the info I had. The Japanese promo came out in late Jan - early Feb way before Vogue was released anywhere else.

That was supposed to be the final version, that was edited down into the single version to be used as a b-side on the KIT single.

Eventually it became a separate single and they used elements from the Bette Davis Dub to change the intro, making it into the final released version.