IF: An 8 Song Studio Web Concert

scion

So!

If, to complement this gorgeous new look, we were treated to an 8 song webcast on YouTube, where M performed 8 songs in a recording studio with a full band and real backing singers, (no routines), to kick off a 40th anniversary celebration, what 7 songs plus ONE cover, what would they be? 

Rules: 7 Songs she has already recorded or performed, plus 1 unheard cover. So if you include say American Pie, it cannot count as the cover. You also cannot add in new songs that don't exist. 

Mine:

- I Want You (Orchestral) 

- Take a Bow 

- Borderline

- Intervention

- Who's That Girl

- La Isla Bonita 

- New Sensation (INXS)

- Holiday

• scion changed the title to IF: An 8 Song Studio Web Concert

MADONNA - A Night with Madonna: 40th Anniversary Web Concert

My concept would be separated into 2 sections: Biography and Greatest Hits

Set list:

INTRO (contains lines from "Die Another Day")

01. Survival 

02. Don't Tell Me

03. You Don't Own Me (Lesley Gore cover)

04. What It Feels Like for A Girl (Acoustic) 

INTERMISSION

05. Frozen

06. La Isla Bonita 

07. Like a Prayer 

08. Holiday (contains excerpts from "Celebration")

I would love to hear her perform her former title tracks/first singles off past albums. 

80s opening section:
Everybody

Spotlight

acoustic segment:

True Blue (acoustic style arrangement like RHT)

Who's that girl (acousric arrangement as well)

Disco queen era:

Like a Virgin (new arrangement in style of Frozen SS09)

Hung Up

revolutionary section:

4 Minutes 

21 Guns (Musical cast version) by Green Day - I imagine an arrangement as beautiful as Rain from GST with her backing vocalists for this.

44 minutes ago, Jet said:

I know but only once at a special event,not to the public  so I thought I’d get away with it ?

You've got a point there. Though, she has to include the 'love is not a victory march' lines. It gets me everytime a singers performs this particular part well. 

The prospect of her doing a show with a full band again is so exciting to me. For this task, I'm feeling 8 bangers that showcase both her ability to write brilliant, feelgood, empowering pop songs as well as keep true to her dancefloor roots. Sonically, this is a non-stop-bop, combining elements of Quincy Jones MJ-era production, Miami Sound Machine and Chic/ Nile Rogers vibes with just her and a mic living her best carefree-life on stage whilst the band make us transcend.

• Music
  • Express Yourself
  • Brass In Pocket (Pretenders cover)
  • 4 Minutes (using a different male vocalist)
  • Into The Groove
  • Vogue
  • Get Together
  • Holiday

I also feel like I'd love her to do a 2 hour show with a full orchestra which would allow her to deliver dramatic versions of some hits with strings like (PDP, DAD, LAP) as well as to get all those ballads done that she has never performed before and is unlikely to bring out in a GH tour at this stage. Like doing a handful of shows in opera houses around the world. No dance rehearsals or stage-plots to be worked out, just sing the damn songs the way we like 'em.

Edited by Bjonkers (see edit history)

3 hours ago, HampusFL said:

01) This used to be my playground

02) Gambler

03) Open your heart

04) Deeper and deeper

05) Little Star

06) Music

07) Hung up

08) Winter (Tori Amos song)

Incredible song, but I can't imagine Madonna having the pipes to tackle winter. Seen Tori live many times now and she's incredible, but I can't imagine Madonna singing any of her songs, even though got me it'd be beautiful. At a stretch I could sort of imagine her singing Suede.

5 hours ago, scion said:

Well, that certainly doesn't count as again it doesn't match the rules.

I don't get why people would take part in a 'game' thread, but then not actually take part in the purpose :suffer:

Sorry I missed the part where it had to be an unheard cover... How about

1. Erotica
2. Justify My Love
3. Confide in Me (Kylie Minogue Cover)
4. Rescue Me
5. Devil Wouldn't Recognize You
6. Frozen
7. How High
8. Easy Ride

Edited by Nick (see edit history)

22 hours ago, scion said:

Incredible song, but I can't imagine Madonna having the pipes to tackle winter. Seen Tori live many times now and she's incredible, but I can't imagine Madonna singing any of her songs, even though got me it'd be beautiful. At a stretch I could sort of imagine her singing Suede.

Ha ha true, but I imagine Madonna doing it in a Live to tell kind of way... she can of course not do it like Tori, but then a cover version if mostly interesting if it is different than the original ;-)

Thinking of it as a 'for-the-fans' affair, I'm going with rarely-performed love songs.

1. Lucky Star

2. Angel

3. Cherish

4. Rescue Me (because she should know how badly we want to see this by now!)

5. One Last Chance

6. Love Profusion

7. Get Together

8. I Should Be So Lucky [mashed up with Holiday] (I know the mash-up is bending the rules a bit, but it would send some Kylie & Madonna fans into a frenzy)