Question: What does "Club Edition" means in album releases?

DRY99O aka RCB

16 minutes ago, RCB said:

What does "Club Edition" means in album - regardless of the format - releases?
Why are they called that (on discogs), if those releases have no difference from 'regular' ones?

:Madonna050:

Thanks

to summarize the above info,

in the 80s and 90s .. tape cd and record clubs were popular.  They had manufacturing permission under the various labels.  Alot of the Columbia House Canada editions are highly sought after to have in collections. They really are the same as the releases from all the major manufacturers like WEA , BMG etc

Ah yes .. 11 CDs for 11 cents :)

And you only have to buy 3 more at regular price and your contract is done. 

But each of those are $24.99 (compared to $12.99 retail) and $5.99 shipping .. so you never do it .. and it goes on and on and on .. and then there's the "hey, in the meantime -- want another free one? and another?" and soon you've spent a fortune on your 11cent CDs :)

I must have done it 3-4 times as a kid. What a great way to get a ton of new releases all at once. 

11 hours ago, captainjay said:

Ah yes .. 11 CDs for 11 cents :)

And you only have to buy 3 more at regular price and your contract is done. 

But each of those are $24.99 (compared to $12.99 retail) and $5.99 shipping .. so you never do it .. and it goes on and on and on .. and then there's the "hey, in the meantime -- want another free one? and another?" and soon you've spent a fortune on your 11cent CDs :)

I must have done it 3-4 times as a kid. What a great way to get a ton of new releases all at once. 

I was in it at least 10 times under various names. For tapes records and cds lol

The BMG club initially shipped to Canada so I was in that too.

Guys, club edition is simply the version you’d get at the clubs or sometimes these were snuck in at retail and you couldn’t really tell from the outside packaging that you got one of these. They’re Super rare hard to find and the front or back sleeves might be a little different even, such as no upcs etc.

anyway, more importantly, I do have a few of these very very rare items. Since I’m doing spring cleaning, I mean, $100 obo? First come first served.