SURPRISE! "What It Feels Like for a Girl" Maxi, out 16/4

New_Boy

3 minutes ago, Pootz333 said:

Still punishing Thuderpuss 20 years later.

Always thought Vission's remixes for her were underrated.

Since we're on the topic. Does anyone know why Warner didn't push for the album version of this track to have the video? It seems strange that they went for a trance mix with a violent video over what could be argued is one of her most American radio friendly songs of the last 20 years. After all this is the same company that didn't want "Impressive Instant" as a single. I always found the Above & Beyond choice surprising and exciting though.

I never really understood why the video didn't use the original tbh. From a business perspective, the song was such a commercial opportunity with that gorgeous Guy Sigsworth production. Radio would have lapped it up with the right visual component. I get why SHE wanted the trance mix and violent theme, but how Warners allowed it is a mystery. Kind of killed the chances of success stone dead. For me, much like God Control, it's not really an enjoyable watch.

It was such a BOLD move from Madonna's part to have a remix violent video and yeah, quite weird that Warner allowed that to happen. Maybe she was riding so high from the success of "Music" and "Don't Tell Me" (and the album) that they couldn't say no to it.

While I love the video and the remix and I respect her artistic guts, it was probably not the best decision commercially: a #23 peak on the Billboard Hot 100 after a #4 and #1 single was not enough.

I also remember "What It Feels" was originally going to be the 2nd single from the album, right? Do we know why that changed?

36 minutes ago, steady75 said:

Mind that time someone was telling me Nothing Really Matters EP was defo next.

Aged like milk teebs. 

Now now...don't get cocky. I said MOST LIKELY.

APRIL
American Life - April 8, 2003
Angel - April 10, 1985
What It Feels Like for a Girl - April 16, 2001
Spotlight - April 25, 1988

MAY
Ray of Light - May 6, 1998
Express Yourself - May 9, 1989
Beautiful Stranger - May 19, 1999

However, it's still sort of in line with the release dates...

But meh...why exactly is this single next? There are no interesting upgrades or promo only tracks on this. What a damn waste.

26 minutes ago, Le Freaq said:

But meh...why exactly is this single next? There are no interesting upgrades or promo only tracks on this. What a damn waste.

These remixes are really good tbqh. Plus the promo only That Kid Chris Caligula Mix was only available on the GHV2 best of promo

20 minutes ago, OceanBlue said:

Lo Que Siente la Mujer (Calderone & Quayle Dark Side Mix)  still missing

Does that even exist? I don't think so.

Anyway... UPDATE!

Full rundown of singles and release dates:

Human Nature - June 6, 1995
Vogue - March 27, 1990
Hanky Panky - June 12, 1990
Music - August 21, 2000
Secret - September 27, 1994
Erotica - September 29, 1992
Justify My Love - November 6, 1990
Rescue Me - February 23, 1991
Like a Prayer - March 3, 1989
Frozen - February 23, 1998
Bedtime Story - March 18, 1995 (US Radio)

JANUARY

Material Girl - January 23, 1985
Keep It Together - January 30, 1990

FEBRUARY

Bad Girl - February 2, 1993
Don't Cry for Me Argentina - February 4, 1997
Borderline - February 15, 1984
Rescue Me - February 23, 1991
Frozen - February 23, 1998
La Isla Bonita - February 25, 1987

MARCH

Crazy for You - March 2, 1985
Nothing Really Matters - March 2, 1999
Like a Prayer - March 3, 1989
American Pie - March 3, 2000
Fever - March 6, 1993
One More Chance - March 7, 1996
Burning Up / Physical Attraction - March 9, 1983
I'll Remember - March 15, 1994
Bedtime Story - March 18, 1995 (US Radio) [Febraury 13, 1995 (UK) / April 13, 1995 (US)]
Another Suitcase in Another Hall - March 18, 1997
Love Don't Live Here Anymore - March 19, 1996
Live to Tell - March 26, 1986
Vogue - March 27, 1990

APRIL

Angel - April 10, 1985

MAY

JUNE

Human Nature - June 6, 1995
Papa Don't Preach - June 11, 1986
Hanky Panky - June 12, 1990
This Used to Be My Playground - June 16, 1992
Who's That Girl - June 23, 1987

JULY

Hollywood - July 4, 2003
Into the Groove - July 15, 1985
Dress You Up - July 31, 1985 / December 12, 1985

AUGUST

Cherish - August 1, 1989
Rain - August 5, 1993
Lucky Star - August 8, 1984
Music - August 21, 2000
Drowned World / Substitute for Love - August 24, 1998
Causing a Commotion - August 25, 1987

SEPTEMBER

Holiday - September 7, 1983
True Blue - September 17, 1986
The Power of Goodbye - September 22, 1998
Secret - September 27, 1994
Erotica - September 29, 1992

OCTOBER

Gambler - October 3, 1985
Hung Up - October 17, 2005
Die Another Day - October 22, 2002
Oh Father - October 24, 1989
Everybody - October 26, 1982
Nothing Fails - October 26, 2003
You Must Love Me - October 27, 1996
You'll See - October 30, 1995
Like a Virgin - October 31, 1984

NOVEMBER

Justify My Love - November 6, 1990
Don't Tell Me - November 14, 2000
Bye Bye Baby - November 15, 1993
Deeper and Deeper - November 17, 1992
Open Your Heart - November 19, 1986
The Look of Love - November 25, 1987

DECEMBER

Dear Jessie - December 4, 1989
Take a Bow - December 6, 1994
Love Profusion - December 8, 2003

released
post-poned

1 minute ago, deathproof said:

These remixes are really good tbqh. Plus the promo only That Kid Chris Caligula Mix was only available on the GHV2 best of promo

I mean yeah...they're not bad at all but these aren't remixes that aren't digitally available like a good bunch of the Nothing Really Matters and Fever mixes.

It will be interesting to see if they are giving us the full unmixed YCD versions with the Spotlight release anniversary (I highly doubt it).

30 minutes ago, deathproof said:

Huh? What remix of NRM isn’t available digitally? The “Kruder & Dorfmeister In Dub” and “Vikram Cybercut Remix?”

Oh nevermind. I was sure there were a few dub mixes other than those two that weren't digitally available. My bad...I take back what I said.

1 hour ago, steady75 said:

But radio WAS playing the single version album edit though? 

Only the video stations were playing the video version hens.

It might have been sent to radio, but it didn't get anywhere near the amount of spins of Don't Tell Me and Music. It didn't really go anywhere which was a real shame at the time. It could have if the video had been more appealing.

I remember the Manny Lehman mix was mislabeled as Thunderpuss and that was supposedly the reason at the time. Manny's mixes are missing here too.

The original album version was not played by US radio at all. They never stopped playing "Don't Tell Me". I think this song deserved 2 videos. One for the remix and one for the original. 

I love in the video that her fake id's are all glamour shots from recent photoshpots.

15 minutes ago, DickTracy said:

Can u elaborate on this? I've wondered. 

There was going to be an official Thunderpuss remix for the song, but someone leaked a fanmade remix with their name on it early (not them), Warner thought it was them to get attention and it was left out the official remixes package.

All info here:

http://www.madonnatribe.com/idol/barry.htm

MT: Let's talk about the "What It Feels Like For A Girl" incident. Thunderpuss were commissioned an official remix by Warners. We've heard it apparently was originally rejected because of a bootleg unofficial mix of the song being passed as your mix on sharing programs. As a remixer myself, it wasn't hard to figure out that what had "leaked" on the internet was a home-made bootleg and definetly not a genuine Thunderpuss production. Can you tell us more in detail what happened.

BH: We were in the had been working on WIFLFAG for about 3 weeks. We had the first final result sent in for approval.
We were waiting to here back and working on another project in our 2nd studio.

All of a sudden one morning I get a call from Warner’s saying that our mix is on the Internet. Both Chris and I KNEW that was impossible but spent the entire day trying to figure out what was going on.

We came to the conclusion that someone had simply posted a re-edit of the original and called it the Thunderpuss remix.

This was also RIGHT around the time of the downfall of Napster, so Warner Bros we’re REALLY REALLY sensitive to the issue of mp3’s and the Internet. They were scouring the net for their product that was getting illegally traded.

Chris and I tried to explain that our mix was NOT on the Internet. It didn’t seem to matter. A few day’s later they simply turned down the mix and that was the end of it. Once again “C’est La Vie”.

I’m over it now, but because I felt we worked so hard on the mix and took a LOT of time with it - we were treated unfairly, but hey….it’s the Music Biz. You have to go with the punches.

They still got to do the official "GHV2" megamix and "Die Another Day" so...

2 hours ago, Prayer said:

It was such a BOLD move from Madonna's part to have a remix violent video and yeah, quite weird that Warner allowed that to happen. Maybe she was riding so high from the success of "Music" and "Don't Tell Me" (and the album) that they couldn't say no to it.

While I love the video and the remix and I respect her artistic guts, it was probably not the best decision commercially: a #23 peak on the Billboard Hot 100 after a #4 and #1 single was not enough.

I also remember "What It Feels" was originally going to be the 2nd single from the album, right? Do we know why that changed?

Yep, What It Feels Like For A Girl was going to be the 2nd single. But I think they changed their mind because of the cowgirl theme, more appealing for Don't Tell Me. Also the song was really well recieved on promo tour, and she was performing it live with her new guitar skills, so Don't Tell Me was an obvious (and on point) choice after all. 

I always found What It Feels, bland, despite the good lyrics. She didn't like the album version at all I think. 

5 minutes ago, nito84bcn said:

Yep, What It Feels Like For A Girl was going to be the 2nd single. But I think they changed their mind because of the cowgirl theme, more appealing for Don't Tell Me. Also the song was really well recieved on promo tour, and she was performing it live with her new guitar skills, so Don't Tell Me was an obvious (and on point) choice after all. 

I always found What It Feels, bland, despite de good lyrics. She didn't like the album version at all I think. 

I enjoy the Guy Sigsworth production, like Mandalay or that Robyn song "Should Have Known". Trippy beats and ethereal sounds, kinda "dated" now I suppose but I wish they would have done another collaboration. 

Great set of remixes, probably the best set from the Music album. I remember how popular the Above & Beyond mix was at the time, personally my favourite was the Calderone & Quayle Dark Side Mix. Great they've included the That Kid Chris mix from GHV2 Remixed!

Hopefully 'Fever' and 'LDLHA' haven't been forgotten about...  :iw:

I love What It Feels Like For A Girl. The soft delicate album version and the hard and fast remix just cleverly representing two sides of femininity. Madonna knew people were expecting the soft Groove Armada-esque Balearic version and she hits them with a power move slapping remix as the video single. Classic Madonna. It always feels like she pays this song dust and honestly its a classic. Like....I'm genuinely ready to rest some of her 80's stuff live for a decade and pay some respect to anything post 1990 to be honest. 

2 hours ago, Le Freaq said:

Now now...don't get cocky. I said MOST LIKELY.

APRIL
Angel - April 10, 1985

MAY

However, it's still sort of in line with the release dates...

can%2527t+read.gif