Single Reissues Campaign - I'll Remember + vinyl mixes - OUT NOW

New_Boy

1 hour ago, Haralampos said:

Yes, they did an awful work remastering Gambler, if it was remastered at all and not doing the 'boost the volume to the gods' thing. But I can't tell the same for Everybody... I think they did a good job remastering this one and it's on 24-bit.

The vocal version is too distorted (the instrumental version is not too bad).

2 hours ago, Kacper said:

Why charcoal color? It's not a color associated with Ray of Light.

The inner artwork for the album was a gray/charcoal color as well as the symbol used on the album.  But I suspect it's more about cutting down on costs.  I would think that putting a blue tint to her image on the gray would look cool though. 

34 minutes ago, Aiwa08 said:

The vocal version is too distorted (the instrumental version is not too bad).

To be honest I can't really compare the track to any previews digital transfer release (do we got it before? I don't remember). Any Vinyl rip sounds distorted to my ears, can't really tell if it's pops or clicks but any part that sounds distorted like the bridge part are on the vinyl too. The only one close to this is the LP version and it's the only track that sounds really bad both on the original German release and 2001 remaster, so I assume it's a master tape thing (low budget, testing the waters) and we're lucky that we got the track sound better than what we got before, it's really close to what the songs sounded in the digital era, let's say 90's... It's a dance song after all.

I want to say that I'm pretty satisfied with this release but I understand why someone might not like it. Just an opinion. :P

To be honest these latest Madonna releases have me very baffled. Some have the quality one expects while others leave a lot to be desired. In the past, Madonna was more seriously involved with all material that was related to her: photographs, album covers, singles, remixes, etc. Now I feel that she no longer has the same motivation as before and I don't think it's for reasons of time since her children are grown, she doesn't have a formal partner, she doesn't have other known jobs, so why this lack of professionalism when delivering quality products and instead we receive fake remastered remixes, album covers with damaged printing, music videos that remain in 360 quality when other artists already have their videos in 4k, etc.

Her fans deserve the best and some of us have even become very perfectionists and very demanding, influenced by herself. That is why these latest releases disappoint me and make me doubt if the motivation for her career as an artist is still intact or has fallen into stagnation and where she is no longer interested in getting involved in anything and leaves everything to incompetent people who are not interested the quality of the product and only generate money. Those who love what they do will always seek to do their best ALL THE TIME. It's just an observation because as a fan I don't want to feel like I'm criticizing her or talking bad about her.

2 hours ago, Haralampos said:

To be honest I can't really compare the track to any previews digital transfer release (do we got it before? I don't remember). Any Vinyl rip sounds distorted to my ears, can't really tell if it's pops or clicks but any part that sounds distorted like the bridge part are on the vinyl too. The only one close to this is the LP version and it's the only track that sounds really bad both on the original German release and 2001 remaster, so I assume it's a master tape thing (low budget, testing the waters) and we're lucky that we got the track sound better than what we got before, it's really close to what the songs sounded in the digital era, let's say 90's... It's a dance song after all.

I agree with you in one thing, the 7'' doesn't sound great (the treble is too low) but I can't remember any distortion on my spanish 7'' . 

15 minutes ago, Aiwa08 said:

I agree with you in one thing, the 7'' doesn't sound great (the treble is too low) but I can't remember any distortion on my spanish 7'' . 

Regardless, distortion on the original tape/recording is not an excuse for todays remastering abilities.

The best example of this is Carole Kings Tapestry album. It was recorded in her home in the 70s and there’s heavy distortion on her vocals from the original tape. Recently MoFi released a gorgeous remaster of the album where the distortion is reduced to a minimum. It sounds like it was recorded now.

3 hours ago, chaosmen1984mk said:

To be honest these latest Madonna releases have me very baffled. Some have the quality one expects while others leave a lot to be desired. In the past, Madonna was more seriously involved with all material that was related to her: photographs, album covers, singles, remixes, etc. Now I feel that she no longer has the same motivation as before and I don't think it's for reasons of time since her children are grown, she doesn't have a formal partner, she doesn't have other known jobs, so why this lack of professionalism when delivering quality products and instead we receive fake remastered remixes, album covers with damaged printing, music videos that remain in 360 quality when other artists already have their videos in 4k, etc.

Her fans deserve the best and some of us have even become very perfectionists and very demanding, influenced by herself. That is why these latest releases disappoint me and make me doubt if the motivation for her career as an artist is still intact or has fallen into stagnation and where she is no longer interested in getting involved in anything and leaves everything to incompetent people who are not interested the quality of the product and only generate money. Those who love what they do will always seek to do their best ALL THE TIME. It's just an observation because as a fan I don't want to feel like I'm criticizing her or talking bad about her.

I imagine streaming releases have a very limited budget as they would not be generating that much in return.

4 hours ago, Blue Jean said:

I imagine streaming releases have a very limited budget as they would not be generating that much in return.

That’s her and Guy’s main issue, they’re too busy counting the dollars, they’ve forgotten about the art. It shouldn’t just be about profit. So far this reissue campaign seems to be about spending the very bare minimum. I’m sure it’s working for them as fans buy this crap regardless

1 hour ago, subversive said:

Juatice for TPOG??? It's the worst maxi ever in her career!! And I will say in all artists career in history

But one of her best sleeve ever. I mean the photo is stunning.

And I've always liked the Dallas Austin remix ! And the Luke Slaters "Freedom comes" in repeat is not that bad ! But could have been much better. Oh I remember so well the day I went to Fnac and I discovered the maxi cd sleeve I never knew before as internet was not what it's been so far. It was just so good.

9 hours ago, Haralampos said:

I want to say that I'm pretty satisfied with this release but I understand why someone might not like it. Just an opinion. :P

But on the original "Everybody" her vocal doesn't sound distorted, not even on "Celebration" - and that's saying something.

The remaster on the 2022 digital single on the 7'' Version is terrible. That one and "Gambler".

Of course the limitations of the original source are always gonna be there, but a good remastering can be done if you do it carefully. The ones on "Finally Enough Love", while not perfect, push the 80s songs to the limit without making them sound bad (except for "Open Your Heart", I know, that one is distorted).

58 minutes ago, Prayer said:

But on the original "Everybody" her vocal doesn't sound distorted, not even on "Celebration" - and that's saying something.

The remaster on the 2022 digital single on the 7'' Version is terrible. That one and "Gambler".

Of course the limitations of the original source are always gonna be there, but a good remastering can be done if you do it carefully. The ones on "Finally Enough Love", while not perfect, push the 80s songs to the limit without making them sound bad (except for "Open Your Heart", I know, that one is distorted).

OYH sounds awful 

1 hour ago, Prayer said:

If the new remaster is distorted it's on the whole track and not just the vocals as it's a single audio and not a remix/remaster from the multitrack tape/s. I can't compare it to anything non-remastered (to listen on what condition it is) so I'm good with it for now.

But I agree about Gambler being terrible. OYH, probably not even sourced from an audiotape, it's like a videotape rip, If that's what they got or exist. :P

3 hours ago, subversive said:

Juatice for TPOG??? It's the worst maxi ever in her career!! And I will say in all artists career in history

If you mean that + Little Star version, then yes. It's shitty single. But the japanese/australian is the proper one that should appear in streaming services. 

• Jackie changed the title to Single Reissues Campaign - I'll Remember + vinyl mixes - OUT NOW