Single Reissues Campaign - Angel - OUT NOW

New_Boy

3 hours ago, Blue Jean said:

I am pretty sure the plan with it originally was to do entirely new remixes with Orbit especially for it. So it would presumably have included some of the songs that were never singles. I have read that one of the other reasons it didn’t happen was because Orbit was preoccupied.

I do like your idea to resurrect the title though with existing remixes.

I'm so sad that Orbit didn't do any remixes for The Power of Good-Bye.  I would have enjoyed a remix package including Orbit, Sasha, and Victor Calderone much more than what we got.  The unreleased Junior Vasquez mix was terrible too.

6 minutes ago, Brendanlovesu1 said:

did Orbit do any remixes for Music or MDNA? 

For "Music" I don't think so, he was already very busy working with almost everyone else - after "Ray Of Light" he became one of the hottest producers in pop music for a couple of years.

For "MDNA", officially released he did the Acoustic Version of "Love Spent", which basically is a stripped down remix of the original. He also uploaded on SoundCloud some alternative mixes/remixes of "Some Girls" and "Gang Bang", I think, but those were never official or approved by Madonna... just his mixes. That was April-May 2012, I think. He was getting quite a lot of social media attention for talking about he was not happy with the way "MDNA" was handled, promotion, etc. so he uploaded some alternative mixes of songs of the album to feed that attention...

My next dream for #rayoflight25 would be the Veronica Electronica project to see the light of the day.

It could be easily be done with the already existing mixes, even though might be different from the original scrapped project...

VERONICA ELECTRONICA

1. Drowned World/Substitute for Love (BT & Sasha Bucklodge Ashram Remix Edit)*

2. Ray of Light (Sasha Ultra Violet Mix Radio Edit) *

3. Skin (The Collaboration Remix Edit) #

4. Nothing Really Matters (Club 69 Radio Mix)

5. Sky Fits Heaven (Victor Calderone Remix Edit)

6. Frozen (Extended Club Mix Edit)

7. The Power of Goodbye (Fabien's Good God Edit) *

8. Ray of Light (William Orbit Liquid Mix Radio Edit) *

9. Nothing Really Matters (Kruder & Dorfmeister In Dub) *

10. Frozen (Victor Calderone Drumapella)

* commercially available for the first time

# new edit

13 minutes ago, sbrombolessio said:

My next dream for #rayoflight25 would be the Veronica Electronica project to see the light of the day.

It could be easily be done with the already existing mixes, even though might be different from the original scrapped project...

VERONICA ELECTRONICA

# new edit

I always imagined the Veronica Electronica side-project to be William Orbit’s alternative versions, like what he did with Frozen and ROL remixes. 

5 hours ago, Blue Jean said:

I am pretty sure the plan with it originally was to do entirely new remixes with Orbit especially for it. So it would presumably have included some of the songs that were never singles. I have read that one of the other reasons it didn’t happen was because Orbit was preoccupied.

I do like your idea to resurrect the title though with existing remixes.

I just saw this post after I wrote mine ;)

2 hours ago, luckypierre78 said:

I'm so sad that Orbit didn't do any remixes for The Power of Good-Bye.  I would have enjoyed a remix package including Orbit, Sasha, and Victor Calderone much more than what we got.  The unreleased Junior Vasquez mix was terrible too.

Orbit did not like that song and wanted it off the album. Madonna or him said so in an interview at the time. 

I did not either, it was too Celine Dion for my taste but it grew on me with time.

45 minutes ago, Roland Barthes said:

Orbit did not like that song and wanted it off the album. Madonna or him said so in an interview at the time. 

I did not either, it was too Celine Dion for my taste but it grew on me with time.

I'm glad he didn't get his way because POG definitely belongs on that album.  It's a beautiful song.  It's always been my favorite from that album.  I wonder if his reasoning behind not wanting the song is because he had an altercation with Madonna, almost getting him fired because of this track.  If I recall correctly, he was to meet Madonna at her home with the song, but brought the wrong DAT file.  He was highly unorganized and I believe that annoyed Madonna.  In fact, he originally took issue with Madonna being in the studio all the time with him.  Glad it all worked out because the two ended up producing one hell of a record!  Sometimes, ones best work is created from friction.  Just like some of the best song lyrics in music history come from an artist's painful experiences.

22 minutes ago, tscott said:

I'm glad he didn't get his way because POG definitely belongs on that album.  It's a beautiful song.  It's always been my favorite from that album.  I wonder if his reasoning behind not wanting the song is because he had an altercation with Madonna, almost getting him fired because of this track.  If I recall correctly, he was to meet Madonna at her home with the song, but brought the wrong DAT file.  He was highly unorganized and I believe that annoyed Madonna.  In fact, he originally took issue with Madonna being in the studio all the time with him.  Glad it all worked out because the two ended up producing one hell of a record!  Sometimes, ones best work is created from friction.  Just like some of the best song lyrics in music history come from an artist's painful experiences.

Didn't know about this story at all, thank you.

"The Power Of Good-Bye" is wonderful. And yes, the remixes never did it justice fully, especially after all the wonderful remixes packages for the previous three singles of the era. The TLC-lite sound of the Dallas Austin remix was not that inspired and this one, while experimental, needed MUCH more work:

BUT WHAT A COVER. And video.

29 minutes ago, tscott said:

If i remember correctly it was him not knowing what to do with this song.

I truly wish we had a thread or a section where we could store past interviews because they are goldmines. AllAboutMadonna was so great for that, shame they shut it down. 

3 hours ago, sbrombolessio said:

VERONICA ELECTRONICA

# new edit

Remastered by Mike Dean. XD

50 minutes ago, Prayer said:

"The Power Of Good-Bye" is wonderful. And yes, the remixes never did it justice fully, especially after all the wonderful remixes packages for the previous three singles of the era. The TLC-lite sound of the Dallas Austin remix was not that inspired and this one, while experimental, needed MUCH more work:

I know, that's why I have it as profile pic.

The Power of Good-Bye is my all time favorite song. I just can't wait for digital single release! ♟️👡🌊

4 hours ago, Prayer said:

I agree.  Great cover and great song, but the remixes are pretty awful.  The only one I can stand to listen to is "Dallas' Low End Mix" and even that one isn't the greatest.  I remember when buying the remixes on CD back in the day, being really disappointed with them.  I've heard fan mixes far better.  This song probably would have been left better alone or be served with an extended version of the song like in the fashion of some of her past ballads. Played with the extending the orchestra sounds.  I guess maybe they were shooting for it to do something on the Dance or club charts, but I can't imagine trying to dance to these mixes.  LOL! 

12 hours ago, sbrombolessio said:

VERONICA ELECTRONICA

# new edit

The thing is, do we need this? Once every remix is up on streaming (probably soon since it's the anniversary), this just becomes a playlist that anyone can do.

8 hours ago, tscott said:

I agree.  Great cover and great song, but the remixes are pretty awful.  The only one I can stand to listen to is "Dallas' Low End Mix" and even that one isn't the greatest.  I remember when buying the remixes on CD back in the day, being really disappointed with them.  I've heard fan mixes far better.  This song probably would have been left better alone or be served with an extended version of the song like in the fashion of some of her past ballads. Played with the extending the orchestra sounds.  I guess maybe they were shooting for it to do something on the Dance or club charts, but I can't imagine trying to dance to these mixes.  LOL! 

I agree an Extended version or even an Orchestral/Stripped down version would have been great. Imagine those beautiful strings and just her vocals.

I don't know what they were going for with those remixes. I guess the Dallas' one was an attempt to cover R&B radio, maybe? She was pretty much everywhere else that year, so tha's the only thing I can think about: try to cover yet another field. The song didn't even enter on the US Dance chart, so I guess the remixes were not even sent to clubs in the end. Warner knew they weren't that good: they were only released in Australia and Japan, while in Europe only the Dallas Austin remix made the official CD single (the other remixes were only on the vinyl single, a format much less popular and available in those days). The US didn't get anything at all, just a 2-track single with "Mer Girl" xd.

EDIT:

I was wrong, a whole maxi with all the remixes was released in Europe, indeed:

https://www.discogs.com/es/release/35530-Madonna-The-Power-Of-Good-Bye

But then the UK and Germany got a 3-track version with "Mer Girl" or "Little Star" and the Dallas remix:

https://www.discogs.com/es/release/711390-Madonna-The-Power-Of-Good-Bye

https://www.discogs.com/es/release/8615422-Madonna-The-Power-Of-Good-Bye-Little-Star

• Jackie changed the title to Single Reissues Campaign - Angel - OUT NOW