Single Reissues Campaign - I'll Remember + vinyl mixes - OUT NOW

New_Boy

2 hours ago, Prayer said:

Interesting!

I always thought the 3:47 "mistake" was because she was tired from "Evita" and "couldn't remember the words", as she wrote in the movie diaries, but it's actually cause they shot the video with the "Something To Remember" Album Version and then changed it to the Soulpower Remix! I guess Warner (and herself) pushing for a more R&B sound in 1996?

Didn't work that well that move: #78 on the Billboard Hot 100. (Probably the same or lower with the album version, though?).

They really wanted to release I Want You as a single but Motown blocked the single release and threatened with legal actions, sadly.

You'll See was a hit but probably not enough of a hit to carry the whole compilation. In my opinion, the smartest move would have been to release Forbidden Love (and promote it as a single from STR) which was originally scheduled to be the fifth and final single from Bedtime Stories (b/w Don't Stop) but was canceled to move on to Something to Remember.

They probably ended up releasing LDLHA because it was the only somewhat exclusive thing on the compilation (other than One More Chance which was terrible). The song was also planned as a single from LAV at one point but axed because a different singer released a cover of it at the same time.

7 minutes ago, MPowered said:

They really wanted to release I Want You as a single but Motown blocked the single release and threatened with legal actions, sadly.

You'll See was a hit but probably not enough of a hit to carry the whole compilation. In my opinion, the smartest move would have been to release Forbidden Love (and promote it as a single from STR) which was originally scheduled to be the fifth and final single from Bedtime Stories (b/w Don't Stop) but was canceled to move on to Something to Remember.

They probably ended up releasing LDLHA because it was the only somewhat exclusive thing on the compilation (other than One More Chance which was terrible). The song was also planned as a single from LAV at one point but axed because a different singer released a cover of it at the same time.

I love "One More Chance" but I understand why many fans don't and it wouldn't have done anything commercially either (it was a respectable UK #11 though when released there).

"I Want You" being blocked as a single was a shame. What a great cover and music video.

22 minutes ago, Kacper said:

🍑holes. Motown shouldn't play with something that should be released for life. I want "I Want You" remastered the right way.

Apparently what happened is Motown tried to take advantage of the song on their own by releasing their album first and Warner said "f**k you, no single then" and rightfully so.

https://todayinmadonnahistory.com/2021/10/21/today-in-madonna-history-october-21-1995-2/

i-want-you-set-pics.jpg?w=550

"The video for I Want You is somewhat of an anomaly in Madonna’s career. The song was initially intended to be a joint release to promote both Inner City Blues (a Marvin Gaye tribute album on Motown Records) and Madonna’s own Something To Rememberballads collection on Sire/Maverick. Naturally, a music video was commissioned to accompany the planned single.

Unfortunately, legal wranglings between the two record companies ensued when Motown insisted on releasing the tribute album ahead of Madonna’s album. Concerned that the move could negatively impact sales of Something To Remember, Madonna’s label apparently backed away from plans to fully promote I Want You.

Fortunately for fans, the song’s excellent music video, which had already been completed by director Earle Sebastian, was not shelved. It was serviced to video channels ahead of the release of both albums and received moderate support despite the song’s absence from radio.

The video quickly faded into obscurity, however, once Madonna’s You’ll See single and its accompanying video were given a full promotional push from her label less than a month later."

18 minutes ago, Bjonkers said:

Couldn't disagree with you more. Maybe European audiences were more into that whole mid-tempo trip-hop sound that lots of British and French acts were doing at the time. I remember being in school at the time and all my friends were listening to Massive Attack, Morcheeba, Tricky, Bjork, Nightmares On Wax. So i was thrilled to hear she was teaming up with Massive Attack to do this. I think it shows real vocal restraint and yearning that she had started to use on Bedtime Stories on tracks like Inside Of Me, but took it to another level with this song. And the video is just gorgeous on the eyes.

To be fair, I don't like You'll see, Take a bow, One more chance and This used to be my playground either. Something to remember is more like Something to forget for me.

Among all Madonna's covers, I Want You is probably the best cause it's so powerful, musically mature, and also one of her best vocal performances

Funny, how out of all the songs she's covered, all had multiple remixes commissioned, and none saw all the mixes released. The only exception would be the Calderone club mixes of American Pie, but those, too, were promo-only up until the release of single #3 which might not have happened after all

3 hours ago, Madant said:

Love Don't Live Here Anymore also saw an exclusive, Japan-only release in 1986. The song was released on a 7" vinyl and has Over & Over as its b-side.

https://www.45cat.com/record/p2041jp

Yeah they were testing that in Japan and Over and Over in Italy as singles to see if any further full scale singles from LAV would have been worth it. They didn’t waste either of these songs as b-sides unlike the three “tacked on” songs from LAV. That was a strong indicator of consideration as potential single.

LAV was heavily cannibalized by all the soundtrack singles. They didn’t wanna release Into the Groove and Gambler originally. I even think that Madonna's label didn’t really want to create much fuzz about Crazy for You because it was a Geffen records single.

37 minutes ago, MPowered said:

Yeah they were testing that in Japan and Over and Over in Italy as singles to see if any further full scale singles from LAV would have been worth it. They didn’t waste either of these songs as b-sides unlike the three “tacked on” songs from LAV. That was a strong indicator of consideration as potential single.

LAV was heavily cannibalized by all the soundtrack singles. They didn’t wanna release Into the Groove and Gambler originally. I even think that Madonna's label didn’t really want to create much fuzz about Crazy for You because it was a Geffen records single.

Interesting... Perhaps, we could have gotten more versions of the songs being "tested" back then, had those singles been considered for a full scale release in major markets

Also, it was a completely different time, when most albums by major artists spawned multiple singles across the globe (and not just three which is usually the case with M's latest albums), which made it fruitful for record companies, and also made fans happy over the variety of pressings of various singles lifted off one parent album

1 hour ago, sbrombolessio said:

Do we know when IWY recording took place?

Liz Smith first announced it in Feb 16 1995. Later, the NY Daily News on March 8th wrote a full piece on the tribute album and who waa contributing what.

So around later Feb/Early March.

In regards to STR,

Liz Smith reported that M would “record some new material for an album” on April 1st, and later in August of that year, she wrote that a collection of ballads would be released around Christmas, featuring some of her greatest slow songs as well as two new ones – a cover of Marvin Gaye’s “I Want You” and a newly recorded version of “Love Don’t Live Here Anymore.” The collection then tentatively titled, I Want You.

22 minutes ago, Ayham said:

Scared Laugh GIF by Prime Video España

Something to Remember is the very first Madonna album I bought on CD (before that I had only been collecting cassettes), that's why it holds so many fond memories. There isn't a track I skipped. You'll See, Take a Bow, TUTBMP are the staples of early & mid 90's pop

They really put in a lot of thought and effort into this compilation. GHV2 feels rushed compared to STR, and a wasted opportunity when they could have included new songs, or even demos from the previous eras

28 minutes ago, Madant said:

Something to Remember is the very first Madonna album I bought on CD (before that I had only been collecting cassettes), that's why it holds so many fond memories. There isn't a track I skipped. You'll See, Take a Bow, TUTBMP are the staples of early & mid 90's pop

They really put in a lot of thought and effort into this compilation. GHV2 feels rushed compared to STR, and a wasted opportunity when they could have included new songs, or even demos from the previous eras

True, even the artwork is a masterpiece. My top favorites: (You’ll See - TUTBMP - I Want You - One More Chance - Take A Bow - Something To Remember)

for me GHV2 was the first to have on CD & the fact was my first M CD to own! 😇

• Jackie changed the title to Single Reissues Campaign - I'll Remember + vinyl mixes - OUT NOW