Single Reissues Campaign - I'll Remember + vinyl mixes - OUT NOW

New_Boy

5 hours ago, Blue Jean said:

Perhaps they will release Pt. 2 of some of these remix EP's down the line?

Yeah they are probably doing that to make more money and possibly to keep the re-issue campaign afloat over a longer period of time.

They seemingly left off the dub mixes or radio mixes of several releases in particular. It's really annoying but understandable from a marketing perspective.

Anyway @tscott many of us are collectors. Madonna's catalogue is still quite patchy and there are many releases that were never released from digital source. That's why a lot of us are looking forward to this. Aside from that, it's also very hard to leave a personal digital collection behind and primarily stream Madonna's music on Spotify if her team refuses to upload her catalogue more carefully and complete.

It is possible and Mariah's team f.e. has done it much better and also because they KNOW they need to get people on streaming, so that she'll see money from it. The disappointment and the complaints are well justified ESPECIALLY cause we got well curated EPs for the Erotica singles. There is technically no point as to why they suddenly decided to go back to utterly lackluster releases.

Bottom line: You don't seem to be able to understand the issue or the complexity of it. In that case, I would suggest you don't moan about it unless you have a better insight on the matter and let us complain in peace.

Uploading things that aren’t available on Spotify is just too glitchy and annoying. This is why I changed to YouTube Music, because I can upload all my Madonna stuff that isn’t on streaming and access it very easily with the correct covers, track lists etc.

I highly recommend it for anyone wanting the best solution to this problem.

The only downside is that out of all the platforms Spotify has the best playlists for finding new music. But aside from that YouTube music is very very similar function wise.

4 hours ago, Prayer said:

Warner always pushed for album sales back then (way more profitable than single sales). It was intentional. “You like the song? Well, buy the whole album then” was the reason behind the mess.

“Nothing Really Matters” case was extreme and a total chart mess in the US and surely it added to her being pissed off and all the tensions with them in 2000-2001 and later.

It sucked so bad, cause The Power of Good-Bye and Nothing Really Matters would have done so much better chart-wise and most likely considered bigger hits, had they not done what they did.

12 minutes ago, MPowered said:

It sucked so bad, cause The Power of Good-Bye and Nothing Really Matters would have done so much better chart-wise and most likely considered bigger hits, had they not done what they did.

It was terrible. "The Power Of Good-Bye" #11 and "Nothing Really Matters" #93 in the US.

But it even went back to the "Ray Of Light" single release: in the UK it was out at the end of April 1998, while in the US the physical single release was held back until the end of June. Of course being the monster hit it was, it got to #5 anyway but imagine with a normal strategy and not the album pushing one - maybe she could have had another #1 with it.

I wonder if she agreed to all that or it was all the label promo policies and she couldn't do much about it.

15 minutes ago, MPowered said:

TPOG wasn’t Warner’s fault. The week after the song rose to #11 was when billboard first changed the way the charts were calculated. This was when airplay became a bigger factor for songs in the hot 100 then sales hence why TPOG dropped massively after that. It’s highly likely it would have broken the top 10 that week if that didn’t happen. I’m not sure Warner could have known that was coming.

15 minutes ago, Prayer said:

It was terrible. "The Power Of Good-Bye" #11 and "Nothing Really Matters" #93 in the US.

But it even went back to the "Ray Of Light" single release: in the UK it was out at the end of April 1998, while in the US the physical single release was held back until the end of June. Of course being the monster hit it was, it got to #5 anyway but imagine with a normal strategy and not the album pushing one - maybe she could have had another #1 with it.

I wonder if she agreed to all that or it was all the label promo policies and she couldn't do much about it.

Considering singles were being sold super cheap in the late 90’s I’m sure it was in her best interests to sell albums. Album sales mattered way more than chart positions.

What Warner did became the trend for everyone in the early 2000’s once songs were charting on airplay stats. For example, I remember Backstreet boys single scraping into the top 10, meanwhile their album sold 10 million plus. Labels were not even releasing singles a lot of the time at that point.

Hence why Beautiful stranger didn’t chart high, it was only available on the Austin Powers soundtrack and it’s position was based on airplay alone. Same with American Pie. It sucks for her chart stars but for album sales it was the best thing to do.

1 hour ago, Blue Jean said:

TPOG wasn’t Warner’s fault. The week after the song rose to #11 was when billboard first changed the way the charts were calculated. This was when airplay became a bigger factor for songs in the hot 100 then sales hence why TPOG dropped massively after that. It’s highly likely it would have broken the top 10 that week if that didn’t happen. I’m not sure Warner could have known that was coming.

TPOG peaked in sales 4 weeks before peaking on airplay. It could have hit the top ten had the single been released a few weeks later, which would have allowed sales and airplay to balance each other out (when sales peaked, airplay was at #40, but when airplay peaked at #26, sales had fallen several spots to #19).

12 hours ago, Prayer said:

Warner always pushed for album sales back then (way more profitable than single sales). It was intentional. “You like the song? Well, buy the whole album then” was the reason behind the mess.

“Nothing Really Matters” case was extreme and a total chart mess in the US and surely it added to her being pissed off and all the tensions with them in 2000-2001 and later.

Warner USA made some mistakes circa 1999-2000 and were focused on radio play without valuing the single market - eg for Beautiful Stranger and American Pie, had they had physical releases they would have been top 10 hits at least however they wanted to drive the soundtrack sales, very messy 

22 minutes ago, subversive said:

Wow, don't know if it is upscaled or not but it's really impressive!  My fav video

It’s so overrated, though.

Shes just bouncing up and down in front of a green screen to sped up footage.

I never got the love for the video or the song.

4 minutes ago, Askeroff said:

the upscale is ok

a little cartoonish 

wish we have something like this

This looks incredibly dated - and upscaled - too. I guess VHS quality made us see things without the imperfections and bad effects haha.

About "Ray Of Light", is the sound out of sync what puts me off a little bit... Image is not perfect but I guess an upscaling was always going to be difficult in this case with all those high speed images and changes.

The thumbnail hasn't been updated yet and it's not yet on her HD Videos playlist so maybe they're realized is not perfect and they will upload another version... fixed audio, please.

2 hours ago, Prayer said:

The audio is a little bit out of sync or it was always like that? :thinker:

Yeah, the first thing I noticed was that the video and audio were out of synch. Very noticeable when she's singing the slowed down middle 8. That's not something I had ever noticed before.

Sigh. If only she hadn't taught us to be such perfectionists!

5 minutes ago, Prayer said:

This looks incredibly dated - and upscaled - too. I guess VHS quality made us see things without the imperfections and bad effects haha.

About "Ray Of Light", is the sound out of sync what puts me off a little bit... Image is not perfect but I guess an upscaling was always going to be difficult in this case with all those high speed images and changes.

The thumbnail hasn't been updated yet and it's not yet on her HD Videos playlist so maybe they're realized is not perfect and they will upload another version... fixed audio, please.

They've yet to include Express Yourself as well which that was randomly upgraded without any mention at all. 

• Jackie changed the title to Single Reissues Campaign - I'll Remember + vinyl mixes - OUT NOW