Single Reissues Campaign - Angel - OUT NOW

New_Boy

21 minutes ago, deathproof said:

I think they are using a master tape to make these upscales. It’s obvious for vids like Express Yourself & NRM. It all comes down to the quality of the upscaling. I hate to have to applaud a good upscale lol, but some are better than others. And some, I’d rather watch the standard definition video.

Ah ok. Gotta be honest I haven’t been following or watching these things in detail.

Most of the time I’d rather watch the SD version from a dvd source. Unless they transfer from a film source I can’t see honestly how the quality is going to be “improved” to HD. Unless they do a lot of proper remastering work which let’s be honest, they’re not. 

Id prefer they just upscale it to 1080p without any other alteration from the master.

45 minutes ago, Blue Jean said:

Interesting. Personally I never noticed these quality issues and am only commenting based on what the audio nerds post here. So perhaps you are right.

The HD videos though , I can absolutely agree are hit and miss. The Papa don’t preach upload is noticeably bad. Ray of light is out of sync.

So for sure they do not have these videos properly archived otherwise they’d be transferred from a master tape in every case and this stuff would be 100% pristine.

The Papa Don’t Preach video is clearly done from a master tape since there’s much more detail. The issue is that it was badly remastered. They tried to fix several issues but they ruined other things in the process.

For Ray Of Light, again the quality is better than all the previous versions. But they re-dubbed the audio and fucked up. In their defense it’s really difficult to properly dub it cause of the hectic editing. It took me hours to properly do it lol

17 minutes ago, thegoldencalf said:

The Papa Don’t Preach video is clearly done from a master tape since there’s much more detail. The issue is that it was badly remastered. They tried to fix several issues but they ruined other things in the process.

For Ray Of Light, again the quality is better than all the previous versions. But they re-dubbed the audio and fucked up. In their defense it’s really difficult to properly dub it cause of the hectic editing. It took me hours to properly do it lol

Im not sure what difficulty you had but it is not difficult at all to re dub audio to a video like that if you are experienced, especially not for a professional. It would take me 30 seconds to do it properly and I would have it in perfect sync.

Either they have people working for them that don’t know what they are doing or the transfer they used was out of sync for whatever reason and it over overlooked. Hopefully they fix it.

The video version of OYH is pointless. It’s got a 10 second different intro? The Remix Edit should’ve been on Finally Enough in-house Remix Edits, but that’s another story.

Some of the upscale videos look great, but others look no different (Borderline).

Why is it they aren’t going back to the original film and re-scanning, the way they do to movies?

Seems a bit lazy to do all these upscales.

39 minutes ago, BuggedOut said:

The video version of OYH is pointless. It’s got a 10 second different intro?

It’s classic and iconic and so many of us have wanted it to be commercially released for ever. There doesn’t need to be an argument over which version should or shouldn’t have been included. The true crime is waiting 36 yrs to officially release the video version.

45 minutes ago, BuggedOut said:

Why is it they aren’t going back to the original film and re-scanning, the way they do to movies?

Cos that costs money.

In the case of movies it is worth it as they get screened again in cinemas, Bluray releases , tv broadcast deals etc. They make money back from what they’ve spent.

Youtube views in the numbers she gets generate far less profit.

15 minutes ago, deathproof said:

It’s classic and iconic and so many of us have wanted it to be commercially released for ever. There doesn’t need to be an argument over which version should or shouldn’t have been included. The true crime is waiting 36 yrs to officially release the video version.

But what’s different about it other than the intro?

I would have been very excited to get it had it not been a bad VHS rip. It sounds awful.

Just like film preservation - audio preservation - is in the hands of human beings who often lose, misplace, delete, and/or inadvertently destroy elements after years and years of storage.

If you are a blu-ray/4K collector you know that a lot of films are now being re-released with the best elements found at the time because those were the only elements the studio had access to. Even the most recent Friday the 13th box set used VHS footage to fill in the gaps on some of the unrated cuts. Because that's all that exists of those pieces of film anymore.

Total speculation: but I would not be surprised to learn that some of Madonna's original multitracks, masters, remixes etc. don't exist in pristine quality any longer. We are talking about a 40 year old career and 40 years of media storage afterall.

Here's a quick read on some major films that are missing or so damaged they can't be released today:

https://collider.com/lost-films-history-explained-hitchcock/

6 hours ago, thegoldencalf said:

It’s been confirmed over and over that the digitalized Madonna catalogue is surprisingly well kept. Much better than most legacy artists. 
I’m not sure what these questionable sources are

Exactly ^ everything is stored 

As evidenced by the  pre-1983 journals and cassettes were easily retrieved when she was working on the film etc 

"Digitized everything"?

I have no doubt that the majority of the major things (albums, singles) are digitized and easily accessed.

But a lot of the complaints on this thread are about obscure things like dubs, random radio edits, remixes, etc. not being released.

That's what I'm referring to.

1 hour ago, deathproof said:

Released but with wrong equalization:Madonna009:

12 minutes ago, djnathanashby said:

"Digitized everything"?

I have no doubt that the majority of the major things (albums, singles) are digitized and easily accessed.

But a lot of the complaints on this thread are about obscure things like dubs, random radio edits, remixes, etc. not being released.

Obscure being the operative word there . And the complaints coming from a small handful of people.

If they don’t have it they don’t have it, what can they do? Use AI to “remaster” a vinyl rip? Lol.

31 minutes ago, djnathanashby said:

Just like film preservation - audio preservation - is in the hands of human beings who often lose, misplace, delete, and/or inadvertently destroy elements after years and years of storage.

If you are a blu-ray/4K collector you know that a lot of films are now being re-released with the best elements found at the time because those were the only elements the studio had access to. Even the most recent Friday the 13th box set used VHS footage to fill in the gaps on some of the unrated cuts. Because that's all that exists of those pieces of film anymore.

Total speculation: but I would not be surprised to learn that some of Madonna's original multitracks, masters, remixes etc. don't exist in pristine quality any longer. We are talking about a 40 year old career and 40 years of media storage afterall.

Here's a quick read on some major films that are missing or so damaged they can't be released today:

https://collider.com/lost-films-history-explained-hitchcock/

I collect 4k and have my OLED.

3 hours ago, djnathanashby said:

"Digitized everything"?

I’m pretty sure most things are digitalized. 
We got the OYH Dub, True Blue Dub and the like LAP dubs. And from leaks from the Warner vaults we got a bunch of dubs that we didn’t even know existed.

Man, the mixes for Nothing Really Matters kick some ass.  The Club 69 mixes are rockin', the Kruder & Dorfmeister mix is a groove fest, and the Vikram mix is just one of the best things ever.  Has anyone heard the Cybercut Remix by Talvin Singh?  I've heard it's like a 15 minute version of the Vikram Mix.  I need to track that promo down, lol.

21 hours ago, Blue Jean said:

If our standards are audio and video being out of sync equates to “good” then Houston , we have a problem 😂

Love you Roy and glad you are back by the way ❤️

I mean... at least it's better than fucking Secret and Take a Bow. Eugh... what a nightmare. XD

17 hours ago, GregVsMatt said:

Exactly ^ everything is stored 

As evidenced by the  pre-1983 journals and cassettes were easily retrieved when she was working on the film etc 

Madonna really loves to keep things in check with her files and all. Maybe she can look into the BAT Paris footage used for Truth or Dare and see if it was indeed filmed in its entirety or not for clarity.

• Jackie changed the title to Single Reissues Campaign - Angel - OUT NOW