Single Reissues Campaign - Angel - OUT NOW

New_Boy

23 hours ago, PaperFaces said:

Thanks.

Is it because they lacked understanding as to how digital files worked back then that we are getting lossy masters? Did they think it didnt matter?

Yeah, there are a lot of misconceptions about file formats today still. It was way worse back then.

4 hours ago, animalinstinct said:

Here for the Dirty Vegas & Felix Da Housecat Dubs, but not getting my hopes up.

Has it been announced that Die Another Day is next? 

Those are the only dubs we DON'T need, thanks to the UK promo CD. Deepsky, Brother Brown are still missing from digital source, as is the RHV edit from the 7"

On 4/23/2023 at 7:17 PM, BuggedOut said:

It’s not the same thing at all.

Those edits were done when the remixes were done, not 20 years later and the remixers had programmers.

These edits were not done by the programmers who edited the mixes 20 years ago.

Im not sure why I’m getting pushback on facts. I already bought my two copies 😂

I'm actually curious since only the American Life Rauhofer Edit has the terminology "New" as a part of the remix title.  I messaged Chris Cox (from Thunderpuss) on insta to ask if the Thunderpuss Club Edit was something they've been sitting on for 20 years or if they had nothing to do with this new edit.  The last time I watched him stream on twitch he did say they recently digitized all their remixes (including unreleased versions of things that he played during the session) so it's not outside the realm of possibility.

I'm not expecting him to answer my DM on insta, but if he does then I'll share what I've learned.  Otherwise he does answer questions during his twitch streams so I can try asking there.  I'm wondering if all the other unreleased edits besides American Life were originals that were never released?

Edited by luckypierre78 (see edit history)

21 minutes ago, luckypierre78 said:

I'm actually curious since only the American Life Rauhofer Edit has the terminology "New" as a part of the remix title.  I messaged Chris Cox (from Thunderpuss) on insta to ask if the Thunderpuss Club Edit was something they've been sitting on for 20 years or if they had nothing to do with this new edit.  The last time I watched him stream on twitch he did say they recently digitized all their remixes (including unreleased versions of things that he played during the session) so it's not outside the realm of possibility.

I'm not expecting him to answer my DM on insta, but if he does then I'll share what I've learned.  Otherwise he does answer questions during his twitch streams so I can try asking there.  I'm wondering if all the other unreleased edits besides American Life were originals that were never released?

Nothing Fails is also labeled as new.

1 hour ago, luckypierre78 said:

They had nothing to do with the new edit. 

Happy 35th anniversary to the Japan Spotlight single. Such a shame that this song is forgotten by the mainstream. As far as I know it wasn’t released to the radio here in the UK. 

An exclusive track was a key selling point for You Can Dance so I guess that’s why it wasn’t released as a physical single elsewhere. They could have released a remix of Where’s the Party as a single to promote YCD though. And Madonna  liked that song at the time enough to include in Blond Ambition set list so I don’t see why she wouldn’t have approved. 

Do you reckon Where’s the Party remix would have been another big hit for M in 1987?

Edited by MadonnaDave (see edit history)

With the announcement of the upcoming release of the uncensored American Life video, my desire to see a Madonna video with a bloody theme was reactivated again. What it feels like for a Girl, Die another day and American Life formed the perfect trilogy and faithful representatives of this theme that by the way Madonna curiously never experienced before in her career despite the fact that the song Thief of Hearts would have been perfect for a video with this kind of theme.

Personally I like to see gore videos and images and I think that Gang Bang would have been the perfect song to once again venture into this type of video where the plot would have been similar to what we saw when Madonna sang Je t'aime ..moi non plus at Olympia in 2012 and similar to certain scenes in the film Hostel where various people are tied to a chair and tortured to death for the benefit of those who have this unique fetish. A Madonna who discovers her boyfriend's multiple infidelities and, seized with anger, decides to subject him to various torments such as hitting him with a baseball bat, applying electroshock, sticking pins all over his body or pulling out one of his teeth with pliers until ending up shooting him similarly. at the end of her performance at Olympia.

Maybe my wishes will be fulfilled soon because I personally see this Madonna 2022/2023 (Hung Up on Tokischa) a little more extreme and who knows, I will once again have the pleasure of seeing my favorite artist in a video with a theme that is one of My favourites.

Fingers crossed that like with Erotica EPs we will be seeing an American Life single at the same rate. So Hollywood either this next or next week 🤞 

I’d love her to have performed the Jacques Lu Cont remix of Hollywood at Re-invention Tour instead of using it as an interlude. It had a great energy about it at the show and it became a favourite mix of mine after that 

Been loving these remix/digital releases. For me it's been so fun listening to them, reflecting on those eras.

Just curious, do we know which video of the American Life version we're getting? Because wasn't there a cleaner edit of the director's cut video? I'm curious if she would release that version and not the gory version.

The What it feels Like video is pointless.

It doesn’t go with the song and it doesn’t make sense. It seems like it was made just for the sake of being edgy and they ruined the single doing well by sending out a dub edit to radio.

I don’t think a studio video with the regular edit being sent to radio would’ve made it a top 10, but I think it’s fate would have been much better.

2 minutes ago, BuggedOut said:

The What it feels Like video is pointless.

It doesn’t go with the song and it doesn’t make sense. It seems like it was made just for the sake of being edgy and they ruined the single doing well by sending out a dub edit to radio.

I don’t think a studio video with the regular edit being sent to radio would’ve made it a top 10, but I think it’s fate would have been much better.

She should have just let them release Amazing as a single 

5 minutes ago, Fabiolous said:

She should have just let them release Amazing as a single 

I don’t like that song at all haha.

It’s a lesser ‘Beautiful Stranger’.

I think the regular version of WIFLFAG being sent to radio with a fun studio video, would have gotten the single in the top 20, but it was DOA and the album ended after that.

18 minutes ago, Alappask34344 said:

Agreed! I've always really liked that song. Was it true the label decided against it because they felt it sounded like another song of hers? Or was it Madonna's choice not to release it?

No, the label wanted to release Amazing as a single.  Madonna wanted Impressive Instant instead.  The word is; she avoided performing it on the DWT, so Warners couldn't issue a single, using the live video for promotion.

I understand Madonna not wanting to release Amazing because it did resemble ROL and Beautiful Stranger.  In a way, Madonna got her way when Impressive Instant was released as a promotional single.

9 minutes ago, BuggedOut said:

I don’t like that song at all haha.

It’s a lesser ‘Beautiful Stranger’.

I think the regular version of WIFLFAG being sent to radio with a fun studio video, would have gotten the single in the top 20, but it was DOA and the album ended after that.

It always reminded me of Beautiful Stranger, so it didn’t feel like a good choice of single. Madonna doesn’t like to sound like she’s repeating herself. So for that reason I think Impressive Instant would have been a better choice, unless they remixed Amazing to give it a more individual sound. Two William Orbit produced hits for  All Saints were big in the UK in 2000 so it made tracks like Amazing sound less fresh to me when they came out. I played Pure Shores and Black Coffee to death, they’re brilliant singles. 

I thought WIFLFAG was a really odd choice for a single. The song garnered critical praise for the album, but it didn’t feel as commercial a choice of single as Music or Don’t Tell Me. The edgy video and club mix are so divorced from the vibe and sound of the album version that they barely feel connected at all. 

I don’t think anything on the Music album comes close to matching the hit potential of Music or Don’t Tell Me, but I’d  like the era to have carried on with one more hit with video and remixes. Sometimes I thought Runaway Lover, which never seems to get mentioned, might have had potential as a pop radio and club hit. 

• Jackie changed the title to Single Reissues Campaign - Angel - OUT NOW