Single Reissues Campaign - I'll Remember + vinyl mixes - OUT NOW

New_Boy

17 minutes ago, thegoldencalf said:

This is another example of fans wanting to box her and have her be a pop singer instead of an artist. 
It’s exactly bold decisions like that that always made her stand out. She used her music in a creative and unexpected way. And in the long run it paid off. Many people remember the hook of that remix and praise the video many years later. 

Well, that’s the only vocal you hear in the video. Over and over. Ad nauseam.

Ive been a massive fan since 1984 so I’m fully aware of her choices and I don’t care for the video or the edit they used in the video to promote the song.

Doesn’t make me any less of a fan.

25 minutes ago, BuggedOut said:

If you want your single to get attention, you use the single/original version in the video if you want it to do well.

It made no sense, but we got great mixes!

I know what you mean, but in the UK there was a trend of singles getting a dance mix to secure play on pop radio. The Corrs and Everything But the Girl spring immediately to mind. The unrecognisable remix of Professional Widow with most of the lyrics cut got to number one on the sales chart and was a mega hit for Tori Amos eclipsing performance of all her other singles. 

So I wasn’t surprised when WIFLFAG had an unrecognisable remix for the single. 

The WIFLFAG video was just trying to drum up some controversy for attention as that had worked for her years earlier. 

I’m not sure that Madonna is the best judge of the relative merits of her own work if some of her choices for the set lists of her tours is anything to go by. I’ve thought that since Candy Perfume Girl was chosen over two fantastic singles and far better album tracks on RoL like Skin for Drowned World Tour. 

1 hour ago, BuggedOut said:

Well, that’s the only vocal you hear in the video. Over and over. Ad nauseam.

Ive been a massive fan since 1984 so I’m fully aware of her choices and I don’t care for the video or the edit they used in the video to promote the song.

Doesn’t make me any less of a fan.

I never said it makes you less of a fan or you should like everything she does. 

8 hours ago, Alappask34344 said:

Been loving these remix/digital releases. For me it's been so fun listening to them, reflecting on those eras.

Just curious, do we know which video of the American Life version we're getting? Because wasn't there a cleaner edit of the director's cut video? I'm curious if she would release that version and not the gory version.

The director's cut is the original, super gory version, with the grenade only ending. It's uploaded on Jonas Akerklund website:

http://www.jonasakerlund.com/category/music-videos/

MTV said "no way, bitches" and they had to tone it down. Less gory, no soldiers scaring kids, etc. Also, M and Jonas changed the ending to Bush catching the grenade. And it's a shorter edit. This was the video that was pulled by Madonna in the end.

Here's a comparison of both:

So the Director's Cut should be the full, gory, original version.

WIFLFAG is glorious in every incarnation. The balearic gentle girlie album version and the pussy grabs back remix. The video is one of her absolute best and the tour version is one of my favourite reinventions ever. I always thought it strange she never made this song one of her signature anthems. It really should be much higher regarded in her catalogue and the wider public. 

The sample, the lyrics the delivery. 
It’s perfection. 

2 hours ago, Prayer said:

The director's cut is the original, super gory version, with the grenade only ending. It's uploaded on Jonas Akerklund website:

MTV said "no way, bitches" and they had to tone it down. Less gory, no soldiers scaring kids, etc. Also, M and Jonas changed the ending to Bush catching the grenade. And it's a shorter edit. This was the video that was pulled by Madonna in the end.

Fuck, the uncensored version still gives me chills to this day.

38 minutes ago, Roy said:

Max, we have discussed this. She will use a VCD source for the Director's Cut of AL. XD

Even VCDs have better quality than the rubbish they publish on YouTube passing it off as wonder!! :lol::lol::lol:

At this point they could download the Director's Cut that I put in the video section, which is definitely better than their FABULOUS source! 

830.jpg

5 hours ago, Prayer said:

Thanks for the Jonas website link.

I just watched ‘American Life’ followed by ‘God Control’. 
Those clips still hit hard and the messages of anti-war and gun control are equally as relevant today. 

• Jackie changed the title to Single Reissues Campaign - I'll Remember + vinyl mixes - OUT NOW