Single Reissues Campaign - Angel - OUT NOW

New_Boy

40 minutes ago, DickTracy said:

I'm saving the "good ones" for after work, I tried the Club 69 Phunk Mix and Club 69 Speed Mix on the way to work... they were interesting to hear again 20 years later that's for sure.

I'm gonna listen to the fun ones on the way home as I mosey past Trump Tower to see the circus.  

Make a moment of it and blast the Club69 there. 

35 minutes ago, Roland Barthes said:

They used to play the radio mix on KTU (ny) and ALWAYS follow it with Cher's Believe (in fact every station followed every song with that damn track) that's how i realized they went for the cheap dance mix favoured by gym queens. The original is more layered and has aged way better. I'm not fond of Rauhofer's sound, i went once to his night at Roxy's and really disliked the sound. That said i think his Nothing Fails Classic mix is not only his best remix for Madonna but also one of her best. 

Nothing Fails is a great mix, you are right, it's just that it's not that signature for me in terms of Peter's sound as his mix of NRM, but I do agree: it's more elegant in a way, laid-back but still danceable

Back to the other Club 69 mixes of NRM, I've given them all a spin, twice in a row, and I should say they are all amazing, even the Speed Mix, which I didn't like quite so much in 99. The Future Mix is another gem, the mid section gave me chills. The Phunk Mix is great, too, though probably a bit less memorable than the rest. And, of course, the Future Dub is another standout.

Overall, like many of you have said, this must be one of her best maxis, also because it features the phenomenal Kruder's and Vikram mixes

16 hours ago, BuggedOut said:

Thanks, but when fans collect everything and have been given things on these EP’s that were previously vinyl only, sometimes it’s a bit disappointing.

If you aren’t disappointed, move on. There’s no need to comment to try and make someone feel bad or a worse fan because they were hoping something vinyl only was going to finally be released digitally. 

I will comment on whatever I want.  It is a public forum.  Thanks.  

2 hours ago, Madant said:

What a cover! So tranquill, and yet poignant! Amazing times to live in - the ROL era

It was a magical time, so exciting. When every club in Philadelphia had rumors that Madonna was coming to it at some point but she never did it at least I never heard abt it. Paul Van Dyk at top of his trance game did a night at this club and everyone was so sure Madonna was going to show up for some reason, it was hilarious. 

It’s truly mind boggling to me that anyone thinks the 69 remixes are “great” or even just good. To me they’re in the same vain as Barbie Girl.  Cheesy. Generic. Uninspiring,. Pathetic even. What other music do people who like this sort of stuff enjoy?? I’m forced to wonder….

The fact that radio played a 69 remix is exactly why the single tanked. Maybe the mixes worked in drugged out gay clubs where the quality of music is an afterthought? I don’t fucking know. 

I get that tastes differ but there is such a thing as universally awful and those remixes are that. 

Yes I’m a harsh motherfucker 🤣

14 hours ago, Madant said:

Back in the day, the Club 69 sound of the NRM mixes was the cream of the crop remix-wise

And while M wasn’t the first artist to enlist Peter to remix one of her songs, it was a clever move on Warner’s part. If Peter’s work on the song hadn’t achieved the level of success it did, he prolly wouldn’t have gone on to remix all the subsequent songs

Speaking of the digital release, it could have been better curated of course, but it’s still over an hour long just like the Frozen and BS EPs are. They must have pushed the Radio mix up the list so it would gain more streams

They were horrid then and that hasn’t changed 🤣

14 minutes ago, DaddyZ said:

It’s truly mind boggling to me that anyone thinks the 69 remixes are “great” or even just good. To me they’re in the same vain as Barbie Girl.  Cheesy. Generic. Uninspiring,. Pathetic even. What other music do people who like this sort of stuff enjoy?? I’m forced to wonder….

The fact that radio played a 69 remix is exactly why the single tanked. Maybe the mixes worked in drugged out gay clubs where the quality of music is an afterthought? I don’t fucking know. 

I get that tastes differ but there is such a thing as universally awful and those remixes are that. 

Yes I’m a harsh motherfucker 🤣

I feel the same way about the K&F and Talvin Singh mixes.

Where is the melody? The hooks?! 

Those mixes strip the pop song of its beautiful hooks and melodies.

The only Club 69 mix of the song that I love is the Vocal mix and the Mixshow and Radio.

26 minutes ago, BuggedOut said:

I feel the same way about the K&F and Talvin Singh mixes.

Where is the melody? The hooks?! 

Those mixes strip the pop song of its beautiful hooks and melodies.

The only Club 69 mix of the song that I love is the Vocal mix and the Mixshow and Radio.

The Vikram mix is just super laid back and cool. It truly morphed the song into something totally different, interesting, special and a sonic experience. K&D remix I love for the atmosphere it creates and also the sonic experience but I would’ve also loved a full vocal edit of it. 

The 69 remixes only cheapened the masterpiece. Didn’t add anything of interested or depth to it. No atmosphere or real experience to be had with them. Same Fkn cheesy, cheap dance crap. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Just now, DaddyZ said:

The Vikram mix is just super laid back and cool. It truly morphed the song into something totally different, interesting, special and a sonic experience. K&D remix I love for the atmosphere it creates and also the sonic experience but I would’ve also loved a full vocal edit of it. 

The 69 remixes only cheapened the masterpiece. Didn’t add anything of interested or depth to it. No atmosphere or real experience to be had with them. Same Fkn cheesy, cheap dance crap. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Different strokes, for different folks.

I loathe Barbie Girl, but love poppy dance.

25 minutes ago, DickTracy said:

That’s the beauty of the remixes, or at least used to be, that there was a little bit for everyone 

Yeah. There was always at least one  experimental, interesting remix besides the generic dance for the gay circuit stuff. I guess something g for everyone. Like the Stereo MC remix of Frozen vs the Calderone gay circuit remix. 

Idk I get where you are all coming from with it not being a disco anthem remix but I love that campy ol' Twisted/Club 69 stuff. The evolution of Tribal Records to Twisted Records which was wild and an adjustment as a listener in itself. At the time I would collect them Peter was even remixing "electronica acts" like The Crystal Method while churning out the campy dance tracks for so long, seeing him finally hit the gay mountaintop with mega Cher and Madonna remixes within the same year was pretty epic. Of course there are many wonderful ways to come to the dance music nowadays but artists like Peter & Junior V. really paved a lot of the roads folks like Tracy and Offer can run on now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I.R.S._Records

13 minutes ago, DickTracy said:

Idk I get where you are all coming from with it not being a disco anthem remix but I love that campy ol' Twisted/Club 69 stuff. The evolution of Tribal Records to Twisted Records which was wild and an adjustment as a listener in itself. At the time I would collect them Peter was even remixing "electronica acts" like The Crystal Method while churning out the campy dance tracks for so long, seeing him finally hit the gay mountaintop with mega Cher and Madonna remixes within the same year was pretty epic. Of course there are many wonderful ways to come to the dance music nowadays but artists like Peter & Junior V. really paved a lot of the roads folks like Tracy and Offer can run on now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I.R.S._Records

But Offer and Tracy are just as generic, boring and uninspiring. 

Maybe it’s because I grew up in Germany and Europe at large in the 80’s and 90’s and my taste in electronic music is shaped by Kraftwerk and real underground house music from then. Not this commercial, targeted to gay audiences, (in my opinion) cheap bullshit.

I reminder in the 90’s being excited about recording a live set from the sound factory in NYC that was broadcasted on a dance radio station and just hating it. It was so dull to me and lacked any character or creativity. 

I guess it really is just a matter of what we have been exposed to or not and what shaped our musical palette. 

5 minutes ago, DaddyZ said:

But Offer and Tracy are just as generic, boring and uninspiring. 

So are the people dancing to it but its so loud that no one cares or notices.

As someone who grew up watching Soul Train and Club MTV, the way people dance in nightclubs in 2023 is generally atrocious. And also ironic as many of the people in the clubs study dance or dance on social media creatively but at the club its thrust time.

2 minutes ago, BuggedOut said:

You can’t get any more commercial than Madonna.

Disliking commercial sounding mixes from Madonna? 

Commercial can have a level of quality to it or just be uninspiring and bland. Commercial itself isn’t a bad thing. 
Madonna has beautiful, commercial masterpieces in her catalogue and garbage like GAYL. 🤷🏻‍♂️

17 minutes ago, DickTracy said:

So are the people dancing to it but its so loud that no one cares or notices.

As someone who grew up watching Soul Train and Club MTV, the way people dance in nightclubs in 2023 is generally atrocious. And also ironic as many of the people in the clubs study dance or dance on social media creatively but at the club its thrust time.

Oh my God. Let’s not get into how people dance or not dance at all on dance floors these days. People be chatting, chatting on their phones, standing around because god forbid they sweat a little. Or “dance” by doing one step left and one step right like robots. No one fucking “gets down” anymore.  It’s just so fkn sad and I feel bad for these misguided souls. Be silly, let it all the fuck go ffs. 

Also, it’s a Fkn dance floor. Not a chat or selfie floor. Or a wow I love this DJ so I want to took at him/her the whole time I’m awe floor.  GTFOH. 🤣🕺🏽

• Jackie changed the title to Single Reissues Campaign - Angel - OUT NOW