Jump to content

Single Reissues Campaign - "American Life" Single, "4 Minutes" 4K Video OUT NOW!


New_Boy
 Share

Recommended Posts

26 minutes ago, Blue Jean said:

I disliked it back then. It sucked the essence out of the original and turned it into an aggressive dance track which was not what it was. 

Well, that is the reason why remixes are made. To transform the album version in something really different (and sometimes they are better than the album version).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Aiwa08 said:

Well, that is the reason why remixes are made. To transform the album version in something really different (and sometimes they are better than the album version).

So in this case I much prefer the album version. The Vikram and Kruder remixes are also amazing. This Club 69 version cheapened the song. But yes, it was a popular sound at that time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Aiwa08 said:

Haha, someone said the same to me when I said that I love Madonna. You know, opinions are subjective, not a real fact... :kissy:

I know. I was being ridiculous. 
 

Although one can’t really call the 69 remixes anything else but generic. To me there’s nothing interesting about them and they aged very poorly as well. Generally I prefer more complex approaches to redoing songs. The cheap dance stuff for the circuit parties was never my taste. 
 

But I’m always happy people enjoy stuff I don’t. Whatever rocks your boat. A Big Mac or a ribeye. As long as it makes you feel some sort of joy. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Too many Club69 remixes, they should have settled for one (Speed mix is the better one). When i saw that magazine, especially the portfolio and the pic chosen to be on the single cover, i was dumbstruck because i had sex in a similar room at that same Hilton hotel on Times Square a few weeks prior (maybe same time she shot it) and it's all i can think about when i see that pic. It's funny because it was not memorable but that cover keeps me from forgetting it. DAMN U MADONNA ! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Roland Barthes said:

Too many Club69 remixes, they should have settled for one (Speed mix is the better one). When i saw that magazine, especially the portfolio and the pic chosen to be on the single cover, i was dumbstruck because i had sex in a similar room at that same Hilton hotel on Times Square a few weeks prior (maybe same time she shot it) and it's all i can think about when i see that pic. It's funny because it was not memorable but that cover keeps me from forgetting it. DAMN U MADONNA ! 

Why would they choose the Speed Mix when Club 69 is the main mix and by far the most engaging one

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Blue Jean said:

I disliked it back then. It sucked the essence out of the original and turned it into an aggressive dance track which was not what it was. I was so disappointed when radio played that version and not the album version.

I kinda understand what you mean when you say that. On the other hand, it did sound (and still does for many of us) different, albeit aggresive, yet both edgy and extremely danceable. Peter didn't speed up the vocals like Victor did for the Frozen Extended Club Mix, add to it the desceding melody line during the choruses, those hypnotic beats, and what we get is pure magic - that's how I regarded the Vocal Club Mix back then when I first heard it

Those mixes may have aged a bit, and yet, they are extremely enjoyable to listen to after all these years. While they do at times sound similar, they kinda work in unison when you listen to them in the order they are presented both here, and on the physical maxi

Also, it was the first time Peter had worked on a Madonna remix, so I'd have to agree it's probably his best. While I also enjoy the other mixes he did for Madonna throughout the years, it's the NRM mix and probably his last remix - the one for Tori's Flavor - that will always stand out from the crowd

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Blue Jean said:

I disliked it back then. It sucked the essence out of the original and turned it into an aggressive dance track which was not what it was. I was so disappointed when radio played that version and not the album version.

They used to play the radio mix on KTU (ny) and ALWAYS follow it with Cher's Believe (in fact every station followed every song with that damn track) that's how i realized they went for the cheap dance mix favoured by gym queens. The original is more layered and has aged way better. I'm not fond of Rauhofer's sound, i went once to his night at Roxy's and really disliked the sound. That said i think his Nothing Fails Classic mix is not only his best remix for Madonna but also one of her best. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, DickTracy said:

I'm saving the "good ones" for after work, I tried the Club 69 Phunk Mix and Club 69 Speed Mix on the way to work... they were interesting to hear again 20 years later that's for sure.

I'm gonna listen to the fun ones on the way home as I mosey past Trump Tower to see the circus.  

Make a moment of it and blast the Club69 there. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Roland Barthes said:

They used to play the radio mix on KTU (ny) and ALWAYS follow it with Cher's Believe (in fact every station followed every song with that damn track) that's how i realized they went for the cheap dance mix favoured by gym queens. The original is more layered and has aged way better. I'm not fond of Rauhofer's sound, i went once to his night at Roxy's and really disliked the sound. That said i think his Nothing Fails Classic mix is not only his best remix for Madonna but also one of her best. 

Nothing Fails is a great mix, you are right, it's just that it's not that signature for me in terms of Peter's sound as his mix of NRM, but I do agree: it's more elegant in a way, laid-back but still danceable

Back to the other Club 69 mixes of NRM, I've given them all a spin, twice in a row, and I should say they are all amazing, even the Speed Mix, which I didn't like quite so much in 99. The Future Mix is another gem, the mid section gave me chills. The Phunk Mix is great, too, though probably a bit less memorable than the rest. And, of course, the Future Dub is another standout.

Overall, like many of you have said, this must be one of her best maxis, also because it features the phenomenal Kruder's and Vikram mixes

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • RUADJAI changed the title to Single Reissues Campaign - "American Life" Single, "4 Minutes" 4K Video OUT NOW!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Write here...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use