Single Reissues Campaign - I'll Remember + vinyl mixes - OUT NOW

New_Boy

3 minutes ago, baymad4her said:

Not for me, I like to tag my files how they are officially named.

Me too but I always add comments on my iTunes library, for example the instrumental of True Blue is actually a dub mix so I add this on the comment line on the info.

Edited by Haralampos (see edit history)

1 hour ago, New_Boy said:

The Japanese EP version is right there! And so much better. I blame the Remixology thread for this ?

I can guess the probable source of the True Blue instrumental - the vinyl rip from "Burning the Ground"

They have never released vinyl rips so far, I'm sure they have sourced the original 12'' masters and that's why we are missing OYH and LIB single mixes. Someone said they were new transfers, they don't sound bad to me.

The chopped intros are annoying though, can't see why this is happening.

It’s happening because Warner has been an utter shit show quality control wise for well over a decade now. No wonder she wanted to leave them. If this is their way of showing her what they can do and enticing her back I’d rather she didn’t bother. 
I’m glad we have this stuff on streaming but it beggars belief how badly things are done. Brazilian twinks found unbothered. 

16 minutes ago, frozen78 said:

The vocals on TB [Remix/Edit] are pitched higher than the vocals on the album version, which could be a clue to where it might come from (vinyl) (?)

It's a remix, so the speed can be really different. Open Your Heart (Remix & Extended) at the correct speed is almost 1.5% slower than the album version.  I can't hear differences in the speed between TB [Remix/Edit] available on CD since 1987 and the 35th anniversary version. In fact, the sound quality is better than my CD version (my version has too much treble and low bass).

I agree with what others have found: the Open Your Heart dub is from the yellow CD.  I got them in exact sync in an audio editor, one in the left ear headphone and one in the right, and not only do they run at the exact same speed, never getting out of phase at any point, they  also fade out at the exact same rate and end at the exact same point.  The yellow CD is definitely the source of the Open Your Heart dub.

I do not agree with one person's speculation that the True Blue 12" instrumental is taken from vinyl. Crank that volume way up at the end, with headphones on. No turntable rumble, no crackles, only clean tape his.  It certainly sounds like a tape source to me.  I wish they hadn't pumped the volume up so much and put limiting on it, but it's actually one of the lesser offenders on the album in that regard.

1 hour ago, superbu said:

I agree with what others have found: the Open Your Heart dub is from the yellow CD.  I got them in exact sync in an audio editor, one in the left ear headphone and one in the right, and not only do they run at the exact same speed, never getting out of phase at any point, they  also fade out at the exact same rate and end at the exact same point.  The yellow CD is definitely the source of the Open Your Heart dub.

I do not agree with one person's speculation that the True Blue 12" instrumental is taken from vinyl. Crank that volume way up at the end, with headphones on. No turntable rumble, no crackles, only clean tape his.  It certainly sounds like a tape source to me.  I wish they hadn't pumped the volume up so much and put limiting on it, but it's actually one of the lesser offenders on the album in that regard.

Thanks - I was only curious about this track seeing as it’s never been available on a digital format only vinyl and the maxi cassette which I bought years ago - I wonder if it’s sourced from the cassette after reading your comments ?

7 hours ago, superbu said:

Many people thinks that the yellow CD are really bad. Well, that is not true. Only a couple of yellow CDs have bad quality. The rest have an OK sound quality, but far for example from the japanese CDs quality (and that is the reason why many people thinks that all the yellow CD have a bad sound).

I've said this because I think that "Open Your Heart (Dub)" is not the only track taken from the yellow CDs. I think that "Live To Tell (Instrumental)" and "La Isla Bonita (Extended & Extended Instrumental) are also tracks from the yellow CDs. The versions from the japanese CD sounds better.

6 hours ago, wtg1987 said:

I wonder if it’s sourced from the cassette after reading your comments ?

Absolutely not. When I was talking about tape hiss, you can only hear it at the end if you crank the volume up by about 10 decibels, wearing headphones.  You can hear tape hiss on all analog recordings if you turn the volume up enough.  A cassette source would have much, much more tape hiss than that.

13 hours ago, Sultrysully said:

I bought the album from Amazon to support Madonna but the download files were at 273 instead of 320.   The bootlegs are all at 320.  Why are the bootlegs at a higher quality than a legitimate purchase?   

That's the average bitrate. Amazon uses variable bitrate MP3 encoding. Some parts of the songs will go up to 320 and some parts will go much lower. The 320kb MP3s are probably from another retailer, maybe 7Digital.

Yeah, after sitting on this a bit... not happy about most of this. The single mixes are either being kept for something else, or, judging by the care given to the rest of it, simply forgotten about or ignored. They were doing so well, what the fuck happened?

Also, did we definitively find the sources of the bonus tracks?

- I'll trust the member who thinks the "True Blue (Instrumental)" is tape-sourced, which would've been the preferred source.

- "Open Your Heart (Dub)" is from the Yellow CD? Ugh.

What about the rest?

Oh, and they better not skip putting something out in August because of all the, erm, hard work they've put into this. "Rain", "Drowned World/Sky Fits Heaven" and "Causing a Commotion" seem like a breeze to compile. Don't care if I'm entitled or not, it's literally a label's job to raise Madonna's profile before the biopic, literally no more excuses.

27 minutes ago, New_Boy said:

Yeah, after sitting on this a bit... not happy about most of this. The single mixes are either being kept for something else, or, judging by the care given to the rest of it, simply forgotten about or ignored. They were doing so well, what the fuck happened?

- I'll trust the member who thinks the "True Blue (Instrumental)" is tape-sourced, which would've been the preferred source.

What about the rest?

Lol TB Dub is not tape sourced. It’s a standard well done master transfer. Stop spreading this nonsense lol.

OYH Dub is the yellow CD version and @Aiwa08said La Isla is as well. Didn’t check for myself but his information is always accurate.

Some claimed OYH extended is also from the yellow CD but also haven’t checked.

True Blue Remix Edit is the same transfer as the one from the Warner Promo CD

32 minutes ago, New_Boy said:

What about the rest?

True Blue (Remix/Edit & instrumental) from a digital source

Open Your Heart (Extended & Dub), Live To Tell (Instrumental), La Isla Bonita (Extended & Extended Instrumental) from yellow CDs.

The rest... ?????

2 minutes ago, thegoldencalf said:

Lol TB Dub is not tape sourced. It’s a standard well done master transfer. Stop spreading this nonsense lol

I think we might be thinking of different tapes? Like, I'm not saying it's from a cassette, but like most pre-digital stuff, it was done on actual magnetic tapes. That's why the phrase "master tape" is still in use. But yeah, wouldn't dwell on this longer, just waiting for a complete list of these. Thanks for your help, and to you as well @Aiwa08<3

19 minutes ago, New_Boy said:

I think we might be thinking of different tapes? Like, I'm not saying it's from a cassette, but like most pre-digital stuff, it was done on actual magnetic tapes. That's why the phrase "master tape" is still in use.

When I've said "digital sources" I mean a digital copy from the master tapes, but I don't know if those "new" digital versions were available before on CD. For example my True Blue (Remix Edit) available on CD sounds worse than the one available on the 35th anniversary.  And OYH (Extended & Dub),  LTT (Instrumental) and LIB (Extended & Extended instrumental) sounds worse than the versions available on the Japanese CDs.

• Jackie changed the title to Single Reissues Campaign - I'll Remember + vinyl mixes - OUT NOW