Single Reissues Campaign - I'll Remember + vinyl mixes - OUT NOW

New_Boy

41 minutes ago, Roy said:

Yeah. The original masters must be really quiet when they transferred it.

No. The masters have the right volume, with the (full) dynamic range intact. They are not quiet. After Erotica they started to compress the dynamic range, but it was fine. After Music, the dynamic range was really compressed and annoying. And with FEL and the two remastered singles, the compression is a nightmare. 

With a good stereo system, the original masters sounds impressive, not quiet. But you know, this is the cell phones era, the tablet era. So this is the reason why they need to compress the dynamic range at unthinkable levels. 

If we want the perfect HD imagen quality using 4K TVs, why not with the music? Picture it: calibrating the video quality using a cell phone screen... They are doing this with the music. They remaster the songs to sound good in a cell phone or in a bluetooth speaker. They don't think in Hi-End Stereo Systems anymore (I'm talking about pop music).

31 minutes ago, Aiwa08 said:

No. The masters have the right volume, with the (full) dynamic range intact. They are not quiet. After Erotica they started to compress the dynamic range, but it was fine. After Music, the dynamic range was really compressed and annoying. And with FEL and the two remastered singles, the compression is a nightmare. 

With a good stereo system, the original masters sounds impressive, not quiet. But you know, this is the cell phones era, the tablet era. So this is the reason why they need to compress the dynamic range at unthinkable levels. 

If we want the perfect HD imagen quality using 4K TVs, why not with the music? Picture it: calibrating the video quality using a cell phone screen... They are doing this with the music. They remaster the songs to sound good in a cell phone or in a bluetooth speaker. They don't think in Hi-End Stereo Systems anymore (I'm talking about pop music).

Yeah. It's how it is now with everything being mastered to make every element pop in speakers and headphones. We can't do anything about it unless we figure out a way to do so while maintaining a good amount of headspace for the songs.

With FEL, the 80s and early 90s remixes are being compressed to match with the late 90s to 2020 mastering of the remixes.

22 minutes ago, Roy said:

With FEL, the 80s and early 90s remixes are being compressed to match with the late 90s to 2020 mastering of the remixes.

It's funny, because the problem with FEL are not the 80s or 90s remixes (except for Open Your Heart). The problem it's the 2000 to 2020 remixes. They were originally compressed, and with FEL they were compressed even more (creating distortion not present in the original remix). 

Anyway It can be done the other way around, you can match the late remixes with the 80s and 90s remixes, avoiding the double compression in the 2000-2020 remixes. That is the way I keep my music to avoid the volume change in my playlist. But I use a stereo system, so it's not a problem. For a cell phone would be a problem (too quiet).

3 minutes ago, Aiwa08 said:

It's funny, because the problem with FEL are not the 80s or 90s remixes (except for Open Your Heart). The problem it's the 2000 to 2020 remixes. They were originally compressed, and with FEL they were compressed even more (creating distortion not present in the original remix). 

Anyway It can be done the other way around, you can match the late remixes with the 80s and 90s remixes, avoiding the double compression in the 2000-2020 remixes. That is the way I keep my music to avoid the volume change in my playlist. But I use a stereo system, so it's not a problem. For a cell phone would be a problem (too quiet).

I would actually prefer your suggestion. This is to also give additional headspace to the later remixes, making them have a better listening experience.

That gives me an idea. :owy:

13 minutes ago, Roy said:

I would actually prefer your suggestion. This is to also give additional headspace to the later remixes, making them have a better listening experience.

That gives me an idea. :owy:

If you are interested, I use wavegain with my wavs to normalize the volume, with the Gain +3.5 (Volume of "Like A Prayer" album, the last Madonna's album with the dynamic range intact). With this setting, for example God Control sounds at the same volume of "Like A Prayer".

6Kebzcn.jpg 

1 hour ago, Aiwa08 said:

If you are interested, I use wavegain with my wavs to normalize the volume, with the Gain +3.5 (Volume of "Like A Prayer" album, the last Madonna's album with the dynamic range intact). With this setting, for example God Control sounds at the same volume of "Like A Prayer".

6Kebzcn.jpg 

Oh nice! Gonna note on this one. Thanks! :D

Is it possible these problems are more about personal preference than what is right and wrong?

Over compressing music has been an ongoing thing for decades now as we know.

There are fans that also claim the previous editions of the first 3 albums are better than the 2001 remasters.

There are also fans that say Ray of Light has “too much bass.”

58 minutes ago, Blue Jean said:

Is it possible these problems are more about personal preference than what is right and wrong?

There are fans that also claim the previous editions of the first 3 albums are better than the 2001 remasters.

Ray of Light lacks so much highs and mid lows so it sounds so muddy.

As for Like a Prayer, she needs more than a prayer for it to sound so good.

1 hour ago, Blue Jean said:

Well it’s a mater of preference and also facts. 
It’s a fact that the 2001 remasters are too compressed. In order to achieve a good result with that you need to go back to the original completely unmastered tracks. Not master and already mastered source. 
As for the newly remastered songs (Everybody EP, Gambler EP and D&D on FEL) it’s just sloppy work. There’s severe distortion and that’s unacceptable, wether some people can hear it or not.

17 hours ago, Blue Jean said:

1º) Is it possible these problems are more about personal preference than what is right and wrong?

2º) Over compressing music has been an ongoing thing for decades now as we know.

3º) There are fans that also claim the previous editions of the first 3 albums are better than the 2001 remasters.

4º) There are also fans that say Ray of Light has “too much bass.”

1º) No. They are real problems with the sound quality. It's not a personal preference. Of course a few people doesn't care but the problems are still there. 

2º) And many people hate the dynamic range compression since day 1. 

3º) The original editions are better because the remasters are too compressed.

4º) Ray of Light doesn't have "too much bass". The problem is the treble, it's a little low.

5º) Like A Prayer need more bass (it was fixed with the singles).

6º) After Music, every Madonna's album is too compressed but not distorted. But after FEL is a "distortion" fest (including Everybody and Gambler). The vinyl editions are compressed too, but less than the digital versions. 

PS: I'm love many remastered albums. What I hate is the irrational dynamic range compression. Erotica, Bedtime Stories, Evita and Ray of Light use the dynamic range compression in the right way. Unfortunately for young people listening only over-compressed music, a song uncompressed sounds to them "too quiet" in a smartphone.

17 minutes ago, MerBoy13 said:

Thank you for replying. Im still confused sorry is this a new leak from those sessions? Or is this available off another format like the La Isla Bonita Super Mix?

The original master was released on the Vision Quest soundtrack and the La Isla Bonita Super Mix EP.

The streaming version has been remastered at some point but we don't know whether it's a brand new remaster or something done for an older project (like Celebration).

25 minutes ago, MerBoy13 said:

Thank you for replying. Im still confused sorry is this a new leak from those sessions? Or is this available off another format like the La Isla Bonita Super Mix?

The original master was included on the "Vision Quest" soundtrack, the "Gambler" single, "La Isla Bonita" Japan EP and then the Japanese CD Single Collection box (1996).

That video you posted is not a new leak, it's the original master ripped from one of those original sources. The new one released digitally yesterday is a new remastered version - recent, not old.

Ray of Light sounds great. I’ve been listening to it since the day it came out on many different stereo systems, on high quality head phones etc. It is meant to sound the way it sounds and if someone tampers with that to give it “more treble” that will be a travesty.

I can’t comment on these recent remasters (or whatever they are) because I’ve only listened on ear buds . But I don’t doubt they are putting in minimal effort.

11 minutes ago, Blue Jean said:

Ray of Light sounds great. I’ve been listening to it since the day it came out on many different stereo systems, on high quality head phones etc. It is meant to sound the way it sounds and if someone tampers with that to give it “more treble” that will be a travesty.

Oh, come on. The singles from "Ray of Light" available in different compilations have more treble. No one said "Ray of Light" has bad sound quality, only the treble is a little quiet. A LITTLE!

• Jackie changed the title to Single Reissues Campaign - I'll Remember + vinyl mixes - OUT NOW