Single Reissues Campaign - I'll Remember + vinyl mixes - OUT NOW

New_Boy

8 minutes ago, Rebel Hugo said:

Also I remember that the Little Monsters claimed years ago that Lady Gaga and Fernando Garibay sued Madonna for singing Born This Way without Gaga's authorization or something like that and also that Madonna "lost" that demand and she paid for that sample every time she sung it on The MDNA Tour. :Madonna034:

Yeah she had to have paid, even without giving credit. There were other parties involved besides Lady (I call her by her first name), and they would want compensation. 

5 hours ago, Jackie said:

100% it's all about right holders and authorization - but given there is no $$ in DVD sales/streams any additional cost would have to be considered seriously - i.e. LDLHA in RH - the cost/benefit obviously didn't stack up in relation to the cost to license it's release worldwide.

I would bet it’s about Madonna not wanting to pay. There’s no way the writers would have blocked their song being used in any form considering the money they’d make. Songs get covered all the time. There are a zillion covers by obscure artists all over streaming.

5 hours ago, Rebel Hugo said:

Also I remember that the Little Monsters claimed years ago that Lady Gaga and Fernando Garibay sued Madonna for singing Born This Way without Gaga's authorization or something like that and also that Madonna "lost" that demand and she paid for that sample every time she sung it on The MDNA Tour. :Madonna034:

Definitely fan fiction. That would have been a huge media story. And I’m doubtful Madonna would not have fought back against that considering the song is a blatant copy.

20 hours ago, thegoldencalf said:

Thank you! And also it was released on the CD Single Collection in 1995 and on the RSD La Isla Bonita Supermix in 2019. 

The Super club EP and this Cd collection are japanese releases, because on top of licensing being a nightmare it can vary from region to region.

Regarding the Vision Quest Soundtrack, it was produced by Jon Peters, the guy that inspired Warren Beatty in Shampoo, whom Bradley Cooper impersonates in Licorice Pizza and Barbra Streisand's boyfriend at the time (later co-producer of Who's That Girl), the reason why Madonna met her at her place around then with Jellybean (by whom Streisand was also interested for a remix). This came after the success of OST like Flashdance (Gambler sounds an awfully lot like Maniac which Jellybean remixed along What A Feeling and Manhunt) and Footloose (Vision Quest being the same kind of movie critics considered only as vehicles for soundtracks more than actual movies) so Peters was very hands on the soundtrack, and nobody f*cks with Jon Peters, he fought Mo Ostin to have Crazy For You released as a single. Even threatened him physically. Geffen was still considered a new label then and its distribution had many canals including Warner distribution. 

52 minutes ago, Roland Barthes said:

The Super club EP and this Cd collection are japanese releases, because on top of licensing being a nightmare it can vary from region to region.

Regarding the Vision Quest Soundtrack, it was produced by Jon Peters, the guy that inspired Warren Beatty in Shampoo, whom Bradley Cooper impersonates in Licorice Pizza and Barbra Streisand's boyfriend at the time (later co-producer of Who's That Girl), the reason why Madonna met her at her place around then with Jellybean (by whom Streisand was also interested for a remix). This came after the success of OST like Flashdance (Gambler sounds an awfully lot like Maniac which Jellybean remixed along What A Feeling and Manhunt) and Footloose (Vision Quest being the same kind of movie critics considered only as vehicles for soundtracks more than actual movies) so Peters was very hands on the soundtrack, and nobody f*cks with Jon Peters, he fought Mo Ostin to have Crazy For You released as a single. Even threatened him physically. Geffen was still considered a new label then and its distribution had many canals including Warner distribution. 

Interesting info thanks - the fact that gefen was part of Warner’s also makes sense that she could easily be on the soundtrack too - I would love to know if they filmed CFY and Gambler in full for the movie - also the versions they used were quite different too so I hope we get those in full one day 🥰

56 minutes ago, wtg1987 said:

Interesting info thanks - the fact that gefen was part of Warner’s also makes sense that she could easily be on the soundtrack too - I would love to know if they filmed CFY and Gambler in full for the movie - also the versions they used were quite different too so I hope we get those in full one day 🥰

From Wikipedia:

Geffen Records began operations in 1980, having been started by music industry businessman David Geffen[1] who, in the early 1970s, had founded Asylum Records. Geffen stepped down from Asylum in 1975, when he crossed over to film and was named a vice president of Warner Bros. Pictures. He was fired from Warner circa 1978, but still remained locked in a five-year contract, which prevented him from working elsewhere. When that deal expired, he returned to work in 1980 and struck a deal with, ironically, Warner Records, the sister company to Warner Bros. Pictures, to create Geffen Records. Warner Bros. Records provided 100 percent of the funding for the label's start-up and operations and Warner distributed its releases in North America, while Epic Records handled distribution in the rest of the world until 1985 when Warner Bros. took over distribution for the rest of the world. Profits were split 50/50 between Geffen Records and its respective distributors.

Geffen Records' first artist signing was superstar Donna Summer, whose gold-selling album The Wanderer became the label's first release in 1980. The label then released Double Fantasy by John Lennon and Yoko Ono. Two weeks after it entered the charts, Lennon was murdered in New York City. Subsequently, the album went on to sell millions and gave Geffen its first number-one album and single; the rights to the album would later be taken over by EMI, which eventually was absorbed by Geffen's parent, Universal Music Group (The present incarnation of MCA).

As the 1980s progressed, Geffen would go on to have success with such acts as Berlin, Enya, Kylie Minogue, Quarterflash, Wang Chung, and Sammy Hagar. The label also signed several established acts such as Elton John, Irene Cara, Cher, Debbie Harry, Don Henley, Joni Mitchell, Neil Young, Peter Gabriel, and Jennifer Holliday. Toward the end of the decade, the company also began making a name for itself as an emerging rock label, thanks to the success of Whitesnake (U.S. and Canada only), The Stone Roses, Guns N' Roses, Tesla, Sonic Youth and the comeback of 1970s-era rockers Aerosmith. This prompted Geffen to create a subsidiary label, DGC Records in 1990; which focused on more progressive rock and would later embrace the emergence of alternative rock—Nirvana being an example. Geffen also briefly distributed the first incarnation of Def American Recordings through Warner Music Group from 1988 to 1990.

When Madonna was negociating her contract with Warner in 91/92 she was hanging out a lot with David Geffen, so much that the press thought that she was gonna sign with Geffen and Geffen himself said in the press at the time that he had asked Madonna to marry him even thugh he's gay. This was to put pression on Mo Ostin, Warner CEO, almost universally hated by artists and people in the business. He was against signing Madonna and only took interest when Like A Virgin sold 6 millions copies in a few weeks. He's also the one that drove Prince away. His son Michael was better but still, when he died last summer no word from Madonna. Geffen was Ostin Sr archenemy. 

I believe the movie versions in the film are the ones produced by Phil Ramone (he was hired since he was Flashdance ost supervisor and produced Maniac, Manhunt sung by his wife Karen and Imagination) but the producers did not like his versions of the tracks so Madonna reworked them with Jellybean and Bob Clearmountain. The question remains now, if there's a Warnng Signs demo out there, is it a demo she did (most likely with Bray) or is there a version produced by Phil Ramone and another one by Jellybean. In fact there could be 3 versions of Warning Signs : the demo with Bray, the Ramone version and the Jellybean version.

4 hours ago, Roland Barthes said:

When Madonna was negociating her contract with Warner in 91/92 she was hanging out a lot with David Geffen, so much that the press thought that she was gonna sign with Geffen and Geffen himself said in the press at the time that he had asked Madonna to marry him even thugh he's gay. This was to put pression on Mo Ostin, Warner CEO, almost universally hated by artists and people in the business. He was against signing Madonna and only took interest when Like A Virgin sold 6 millions copies in a few weeks. He's also the one that drove Prince away. His son Michael was better but still, when he died last summer no word from Madonna. Geffen was Ostin Sr archenemy. 

I believe the movie versions in the film are the ones produced by Phil Ramone (he was hired since he was Flashdance ost supervisor and produced Maniac, Manhunt sung by his wife Karen and Imagination) but the producers did not like his versions of the tracks so Madonna reworked them with Jellybean and Bob Clearmountain. The question remains now, if there's a Warnng Signs demo out there, is it a demo she did (most likely with Bray) or is there a version produced by Phil Ramone and another one by Jellybean. In fact there could be 3 versions of Warning Signs : the demo with Bray, the Ramone version and the Jellybean version.

I think Warning Signs was abandoned at the early demo stage because descarded by the movie producers, otherwise Bray would have mentioned a final produced version in the recent interview about his 80s unreleased tracks (he explicitly did it for Each Time). My personal opinion is that Warning Signs Bray demo may be featured in some film brolls or rehearsals & Gambler Bray mix is obviously in the final movie and they come from the same Bray early sessions, they sound too rough to be a final production by Ramone.

Basicly same situation of Into The Groove & Desperately Seeking Susan version.

Crazy for you, don't know, since it's a different story, not being a Bray track. 

4 minutes ago, MisterMistere said:

I think Warning Signs was abandoned at the early demo stage, otherwise Bray would have mentioned a final produced version in the recent interview about this 80s unreleased tracks (he explicitly did for Each Time). My personal opinion is the Gambler movie mix & Warning Signs may be featured in some film brolls & obviously in the final movie and they are the original Bray versions, they sound too rough to be a final production by Ramone.

Crazy for you, don't know, since it's a different story, not being a Bray track. 

Well the versions in the movie are not the final versions. And I know she talks about “3 songs” in interviews. Someone could check if those interviews happened before or after filming…. 

6 minutes ago, MisterMistere said:

I think Warning Signs was abandoned at the early demo stage because descarded by the movie producers, otherwise Bray would have mentioned a final produced version in the recent interview about his 80s unreleased tracks (he explicitly did it for Each Time). My personal opinion is that Warning Signs Bray demo may be featured in some film brolls or rehearsals & Gambler Bray mix is obviously in the final movie and they come from the same Bray early sessions, they sound too rough to be a final production by Ramone.

Watching Madonna interview for MTV in early 84 (after filming her cameo in the movie) she explicitely says she's singing 3 songs in the movie so Warning Signs, Phil Ramone mix was performed and is somewhere out there :)

13 hours ago, Roland Barthes said:

Makes sense.

8 hours ago, MisterMistere said:

No, "Warning signs" has been discarded at the very last minute. The tracks used in the movie do sound rough excatly like how "What a feeling" from Ramone sounds in the flashdance movie. The version of the movie sounds like a rough demo and not like the polished on released and has the same "karaoke band" sound as the Madonna tracks in "Vision Quest". Have a look :

8 hours ago, Roland Barthes said:

On 12/12/2022 at 5:56 AM, Roland Barthes said:

Is there an audio file of that remix of Maniac?  

• Jackie changed the title to Single Reissues Campaign - I'll Remember + vinyl mixes - OUT NOW