Single Reissues Campaign - I'll Remember + vinyl mixes - OUT NOW

New_Boy

I listenned this album 3 million times since it's release, but I didn't for months. 

I'm alone in my office, with the volume loud and a lot of covid, and dark times come to my mind. 

Now, with perspective and time, I love it! Especially with all the shit that it's released in the last 5 years in the industry. This is like old good wine.

9 minutes ago, Shoful said:

EU SEI O QUE SOU 
E O QUE NÃO SOU
Wilddddd is the world, and lonely is the path…. To come to youuuu
image.thumb.jpeg.fdd55ec95f535ce606a8f67c7dc834fd.jpeg

(my fav outfit/setup from the photoshoot)

I loved the videos and photoshoots for that album and era. I still prefer RH. To each their own. Her catalog is so big there are literally dozens to choose from. I LOVE that outfit you posted. I wish it made it in a video.

9 minutes ago, Robertthenurse said:

I loved the videos and photoshoots for that album and era. I still prefer RH. To each their own. Her catalog is so big there are literally dozens to choose from. I LOVE that outfit you posted. I wish it made it in a video.

me too! So many of the photoshoot outfits should’ve made it into some video. They’re beautiful 

10 hours ago, Shoful said:

No Chile that’s Madame X, but secretly it’s even better than Confessions. No one is ready for that conversation tho :Madonna003:

Nice joke. I had a good laugh. I used to think it was better than MDNA at least. Now, after the hype has faded, I genuinely cannot find any song worth a listen other than Crazy maybe.

12 hours ago, MPowered said:

Nice joke. I had a good laugh. I used to think it was better than MDNA at least. Now, after the hype has faded, I genuinely cannot find any song worth a listen other than Crazy maybe.

Ok I can see people disagreeing with it being better than Confessions, but MDNA???? That album is a fucking joke. Madonna doesn’t even remember that album :Madonna009:

Let’s face the vinyl here folks. The lyrical content and musical styles have way more depth on Madame X than Confessions. But that’s okay. Confessions is more escapism and is more focused on the dance vibe than making a political or artistic point. The Confessions Tour brought that depth. Confessions has great replay value and that’s what keeps it high in my rankings. Madame X does that thing Rebel Heart was doing where we in the club and then we at a rally and back to the club. And that make replay harder because it doesn’t follow a set mood or sound to allow you to fully escape and dance. 

12 hours ago, gafuller said:

Let’s face the vinyl here folks. The lyrical content and musical styles have way more depth on Madame X than Confessions. But that’s okay. Confessions is more escapism and is more focused on the dance vibe than making a political or artistic point. The Confessions Tour brought that depth. Confessions has great replay value and that’s what keeps it high in my rankings. Madame X does that thing Rebel Heart was doing where we in the club and then we at a rally and back to the club. And that make replay harder because it doesn’t follow a set mood or sound to allow you to fully escape and dance. 

My problem with MX is not only the disjointed tracklist. A lot of the lyricism is extremely tone deaf and the melodic structure rather amateurishly bad. To top it all off: They applied an auto-tune effect on almost every song that does not sound like an artistic choice (like on songs from Music or American Life) but like failed pitch correction. She also sung several songs with grills in her mouth that ended up sounding as if she was singing with a potato in her mouth.

MX may have had “some” depth but a lot of it is extremely pretentious. Confessions was the result of a few failed musical projects with slightly biographical elements. Therefore, there was a lot of self-referentiality, paired with great, danceable production that didn’t come off as too generic. The sad part is that there are some interesting production elements on MX, especially on the world music inspired tracks. The songs that really ruin everything for me are the totally misplaced and random house tracks that sound like old and discarded house beats from the early 00s and not current or cohesive enough with the rest of the album.

32 minutes ago, MPowered said:

My problem with MX is not only the disjointed tracklist. A lot of the lyricism is extremely tone deaf and the melodic structure rather amateurishly bad. To top it all off: They applied an auto-tune effect on almost every song that does not sound like an artistic choice (like on songs from Music or American Life) but like failed pitch correction. She also sung several songs with grills in her mouth that ended up sounding as if she was singing with a potato in her mouth.

MX may have had “some” depth but a lot of it is extremely pretentious. Confessions was the result of a few failed musical projects with slightly biographical elements. Therefore, there was a lot of self-referentiality, paired with great, danceable production that didn’t come off as too generic. The sad part is that there are some interesting production elements on MX, especially on the world music inspired tracks. The songs that really ruin everything for me are the totally misplaced and random house tracks that sound like old and discarded house beats from the early 00s and not current or cohesive enough with the rest of the album.

Agreed with most of your comments - I find much of MX a downer and too dark especially songs like killers, extreme occident , looking for mercy and dark ballet 

9 minutes ago, wtg1987 said:

Agreed with most of your comments - I find much of MX a downer and too dark especially songs like killers, extreme occident , looking for mercy and dark ballet 

I don’t mind the dark songs. I find them more intriguing at times, but overall…this album could have been two or three EPs. It’s very disjointed and a lot of it is just too unpolished and experimental sounding. There are barely any clear standouts and that is further highlighted by the single choices.

One thing that strikes me about Madame X is not only its experimental world genre sound but also its storytelling. It's her escape to Europe to find inspiration and from there, she exposes herself to the continent's music and found what she has been looking for: strength, especially in this chaotic time. Yes, the tracklisting is all over the place but thinking about it, it has a specific purpose because it tells about her state of mind and personally, this is her at her peak experimental and creativity musically-wise. 

Madame X didn't die in Paris; she is thriving, shaking her ass off to Back That Up To The Beat in Africa with her family. :Madonna019:

I love Madame X but wish some/most tracks didn't have autotune.

Not a fan of autotune usually but it can be successfully applied (eg for Rebel Heart's Ghosttown where it became part of the song).

It really takes me out of most of the MX tracks, especially Batuka. It is jarring, adds nothing, and feels lazy beside the stunning backing singers.

Also Killers Who Are Partying makes me cringe but Dark Ballet is perfection (and I'm so happy we got visuals for it).

• Jackie changed the title to Single Reissues Campaign - I'll Remember + vinyl mixes - OUT NOW