Single Reissues Campaign - Angel - OUT NOW

New_Boy

3 minutes ago, Blue Jean said:

Beyond sensational. Even watching on my phone it is sparkling like polished crystal.

Yes exactly. Can you imagine watching Like a prayer, Express yourself, La Isla Bonita or any 80's 90's music video of hers. I mean, how amazing that would be, but i guess it's never going to happen 😒

9 minutes ago, Blue Jean said:

Beyond sensational. Even watching on my phone it is sparkling like polished crystal.

Thriller video was shot in 35mm so yes of course a new 4K transfer with a little digital enhancement will look amazing. Very few music videos were shot in 35mm so it's one of the best we're going to have from before UHD digital cameras.

11 minutes ago, moloko said:

Yes exactly. Can you imagine watching Like a prayer, Express yourself, La Isla Bonita or any 80's 90's music video of hers. I mean, how amazing that would be, but i guess it's never going to happen 😒

for technical reasons. SD videos can never look as good as HD and UHD videos, period. Upscaling is bullshit.

44 minutes ago, PlayPause said:

35mm, apart from Vogue ? I doubt it. More probably 16mm at best, so a 4K transfer will never look as good as Thriller.

According to this site Bad Girl was 35mm

https://thefincheranalyst.com/music-videos/1993-madonna-bad-girl/

I’m pretty sure Mark Romanek’s will have been too

Why do fans always have excuses when it comes to Madonna?

It's always "They were not shot on film", "The masters are lost", "They can't find the right remix", "They are saving this for the 200th anniversary".

Please... Accept that they could make things far better, they just don't want to. There's no need to bring excuses based on nothing everytime something is underwhelming unless you have factual knowledge.

Yep, according to IMBD Bedtime Story was also shot on 35mm, haven’t search all her videos, but I’m pretty sure most of her 90s videos at least will be. Back then they were working with MASSIVE budgets, why on earth would they have used cheap film and poor tape editing. 

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt6673230/

At the end of the day M just doesn’t wanna pay for it, neither does her management. There’s no real money to be made from it so they don’t care.

4 minutes ago, luluthecat said:

According to this site Bad Girl was 35mm

https://thefincheranalyst.com/music-videos/1993-madonna-bad-girl/

I’m pretty sure Mark Romanek’s will have been too

Yes, Vogue, Bad Girl, Bedtime Story, there are a few. Probably not the early 80s videos.

8 minutes ago, diegolcl said:

Please... Accept that they could make things far better, they just don't want to. There's no need to bring excuses based on nothing everytime something is underwhelming unless you have factual knowledge.

Because it costs money and they don't think it's worth it for Youtube streaming. Blu-Rays don't sell anymore either.

18 minutes ago, moloko said:

Another one. MJ fans are so lucky

"Lucky" is hardly a word I'd use to describe MJ fans. He died at 51 and remains plagued by scandal. His estate have largely bled the vaults dry and the upgrading of videos is all that remains.

Madonna fans have so little lateral perspective sometimes.

8 minutes ago, luluthecat said:

Yep, according to IMBD Bedtime Story was also shot on 35mm, haven’t search all her videos, but I’m pretty sure most of her 90s videos at least will be. Back then they were working with MASSIVE budgets, why on earth would they have used cheap film and poor tape editing. 

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt6673230/

At the end of the day M just doesn’t wanna pay for it, neither does her management. There’s no real money to be made from it so they don’t care.

It's just A LOT of money. "Thriller" has only got a true 4K treatment after 40 years and it's probably the most important music video in history. That tells us something.

By the way, while "Thriller" looks real 4K and AMAZING I'm not that sure about "Beat It", I can see some upscaling there? Very well done, though.

Hope we can have this kind of treatment with Madonna in the future. It's not excuses, it's being realistic. "La Isla" and "Like A Prayer" are two of her most viewed videos on YouTube and haven't been upgraded to HD yet, so maybe there are plans in the works to do something soon.

Plus I guess it's easier with videos without special effects in post production, like "Thriller". "Bedtime Story" would be impossible to recreate the same way it was created in 1995.

Yes, it is not profitable probably but I'm sure they would not lose money doing it, at least for iconic videos, come on... Dead or Alive, a-ha, George Michael, ABBA, now Michael Jackson and others have made true HD/4K scans of their videos. Do you really think Madonna of all people would lose money by doing it?

Why on earth would they shot a Madonna video from the 80's in a lower quality than a video from Dead or Alive for crying it out loud... This is from 1985:

Idc if she doesn't massively benefit from actual HD remasters, it's a legendary catalogue and as art it should be restored and be available to everyone in the best quality possible, videos not being as profitable today is true but still it is a lame excuse. She has the money, so stop justifying their carelessness! 

I know it’s a lot of money but it’s quite obviously worth it, what with her being biggest music video artist of all time. I know I’m sounding like a broken record, but how on earth can acts like Eurythmics manage to scrape together the cash for 4K and Madonna can’t?! Do they need a gofundme?? Cause I’d happily throw cash at it!

3 minutes ago, luluthecat said:

I know it’s a lot of money but it’s quite obviously worth it, what with her being biggest music video artist of all time. I know I’m sounding like a broken record, but how on earth can acts like Eurythmics manage to scrape together the cash for 4K and Madonna can’t?! Do they need a gofundme?? Cause I’d happily throw cash at it!

But we don't know who's putting the money in those remasters: the record company, the artists themselves, etc.

27 minutes ago, diegolcl said:

Yes, it is not profitable probably but I'm sure they would not lose money doing it, at least for iconic videos, come on... Dead or Alive, a-ha, George Michael, ABBA, now Michael Jackson and others have made true HD/4K scans of their videos. Do you really think Madonna of all people would lose money by doing it?

Why on earth would they shot a Madonna video from the 80's in a lower quality than a video from Dead or Alive for crying it out loud... This is from 1985:

OMG yes, perfect example!!!

Who’s paying for 4K Pete Burns?? 😹

What was the budget for this video? £10 and a round of larger’s…….yet somehow there’s cash for a 4K remaster?

27 minutes ago, Prayer said:

It's just A LOT of money. "Thriller" has only got a true 4K treatment after 40 years and it's probably the most important music video in history. That tells us something.

By the way, while "Thriller" looks real 4K and AMAZING I'm not that sure about "Beat It", I can see some upscaling there? Very well done, though.

Hope we can have this kind of treatment with Madonna in the future. It's not excuses, it's being realistic. "La Isla" and "Like A Prayer" are two of her most viewed videos on YouTube and haven't been upgraded to HD yet, so maybe there are plans in the works to do something soon.

Plus I guess it's easier with videos without special effects in post production, like "Thriller". "Bedtime Story" would be impossible to recreate the same way it was created in 1995.

My understanding is that most of these videos were shot on film, but edited on SD Betacam format for TV. So there wouldn’t be a film reel of the entire video would just be retransferred and cleaned up, which is already a hassle. Hours of B-Roll need to be retrieved, retransferred, re-edited identically to the original and transferred back to film for future preservation. 
This is a big task for such a big videography. And it will take a very long time. For all we know they could be working on it. 
When they did it for Queen and George Michael they couldn’t retrieve all the footage so it’s a mix between film transfers and AI upscales. Also, some the FX had to be redone and don’t look identical to the original videos. 

Luckily, I think Bedtime Story does exist in its final version on film since it was played in movie theaters when it came out. 

• Jackie changed the title to Single Reissues Campaign - Angel - OUT NOW