Single Reissues Campaign - Angel - OUT NOW

New_Boy

42 minutes ago, RUADJAI said:

That Rain Mix… I’ve never heard it. And then the Waiting mix, that one two punch made me feel like I was in an alternate Erotica experience. 

But why did they feel like they needed to put the Radio Remix AND the Radio Remix Edit. They’re both edited when I turn them off early. 

Up Down Suite sounds like it got the Mike Dean treatment. 👀 That kick drum hittin suspiciously hard. 

It's the way it is mastered.

1 minute ago, DickTracy said:

Ya, or something pleasant for picking out the best jarred Cranberry sauce at the market for Thanksgiving

The Waiting remix sounds fab, Danny Saber should have remixed more than just that song.

It is giving supermarket grocery shopping vibe. I imagine myself picking up some meat and snacks. :laughing:

It is indeed a fabulous remix. Very sublime. :D

21 minutes ago, DickTracy said:

The Waiting remix sounds fab, Danny Saber should have remixed more than just that song.

I was always curious the story behind this remix. Was it commissioned for a possible single release? M did say how cool the song was back during the albums press release.

22 minutes ago, PanditaRulez said:

Does anyone think that Madonna used some elements of the radio remix of Rain for the live performance at the Girlie Show Tour or it's just my imagination? 🤔👀🤭🤣 

Yes the version used in the show is based on the radio remix

2 hours ago, deathproof said:

I was always curious the story behind this remix. Was it commissioned for a possible single release? M did say how cool the song was back during the albums press release.

Maybe she liked the song so much she pushed to fund the remix as a b-side. Or maybe WB had legal obligations regarding Everlast or his label Tommy Boy Records, which was under WB at the time. Or maybe they wanted some airplay on urban radio. Anyway, the EP was fit for releasing such a remix. They were trying to relaunch Erotica with a reworked sound before TGS. You never know what happens in labels meetings and why they do things 😁

3 hours ago, RUADJAI said:

But why did they feel like they needed to put the Radio Remix AND the Radio Remix Edit. They’re both edited when I turn them off early. 

The 'remix edit' doesn't have a middle 8, just instrumental and it's missing a bar or two at the beginning. I guess certain radio stations asked for it like that...

I remember howmessy the whole release was though. The fact the Fever video mix was only available on european versions of Rain, the Rain video being released way ahead of the single (i guess they wanted to push the album), Fever being released in Europe mainland at the same time, UK had a different cover for Rain and the most popular track on that release was Open Your Heart as a b-side because british car maker Vauxhall had a commercial using it at the time. I remember being a teen and going each week to the Virgin Megastore on les Champs Elysées where they had all the imports because it felt like each week there was a new version of Rain or Fever being released with a different tracklist. I remember the french K7 single of Fever being released like in august or something with the rain cover. A mess. And i still think Why's It So Hard should have been released instead of Fever because Ace Of Base released "All That She Wants" at the same time, sharing that same reaggae-ish vibe mixed with dance music and it was a major success. 

I wonder how Everlast ended up on that remix (and why not Big Daddy Kane ?)

35 minutes ago, Ayham said:

why her singles used to be mixed???

Not just "her" singles, but most major artists single releases had such treatment. Radio technology asked for clearer mixes, whereas low-q TV or club sound systems didn't need it. Hence video or club versions being close to the album mix vs.airplay.

26 minutes ago, PlayPause said:

Not just "her" singles, but most major artists single releases had such treatment. Radio technology asked for clearer mixes, whereas low-q TV or club sound systems didn't need it. Hence video or club versions being close to the album mix vs.airplay.

Interesting, I was referring to the fact she included Fever on both Bad Girl & Rain EPs... why?

50 minutes ago, Roland Barthes said:

I remember howmessy the whole release was though. The fact the Fever video mix was only available on european versions of Rain, the Rain video being released way ahead of the single (i guess they wanted to push the album), Fever being released in Europe mainland at the same time, UK had a different cover for Rain and the most popular track on that release was Open Your Heart as a b-side because british car maker Vauxhall had a commercial using it at the time. I remember being a teen and going each week to the Virgin Megastore on les Champs Elysées where they had all the imports because it felt like each week there was a new version of Rain or Fever being released with a different tracklist. I remember the french K7 single of Fever being released like in august or something with the rain cover. A mess. And i still think Why's It So Hard should have been released instead of Fever because Ace Of Base released "All That She Wants" at the same time, sharing that same reaggae-ish vibe mixed with dance music and it was a major success. 

I wonder how Everlast ended up on that remix (and why not Big Daddy Kane ?)

The Fever artwork was the same everywhere except the USA 12" promo which used the Bad Girl artwork

https://www.discogs.com/release/2474163-Madonna-Fever - France 

Bad Girl / Fever was released essentially as a double A side the USA and Australia - in the UK / Europe, they released Bad Girl and Fever separately, the Fever music video was filmed and released after Fever was released as a single which is why the Edit One / Edit Two did not appear until the Rain single in Germany etc the UK Rain single capitalised on the Peugeot commercial with Open Your Heart etc  it was not messy, it was just different release strategies in different regions which was common at the time - eg Oh Father / Dear Jessie / Keep It Together circa 1989-1990 

23 minutes ago, GregVsMatt said:

The Fever artwork was the same everywhere except the USA 12" promo which used the Bad Girl artwork

https://www.discogs.com/release/2474163-Madonna-Fever - France 

Bad Girl / Fever was released essentially as a double A side the USA and Australia - in the UK / Europe, they released Bad Girl and Fever separately, the Fever music video was filmed and released after Fever was released as a single which is why the Edit One / Edit Two did not appear until the Rain single in Germany etc the UK Rain single capitalised on the Peugeot commercial with Open Your Heart etc  it was not messy, it was just different release strategies in different regions which was common at the time - eg Oh Father / Dear Jessie / Keep It Together circa 1989-1990 

Yeah i mixed up with Rain because i bought the french K7 single for the Fever edit two 

https://www.discogs.com/fr/release/1989696-Madonna-Rain

It was a messy strategy because the videos were released way ahead the different singles were available in every territory so when they were finally released they felt already "old". I was there, i remember very vividly that time, thank you very much :)  

The Fever video was supposed to promote what ? That version was neither on the album nor on the Bad Girl / Fever or Fever UK maxis (something that already happened with Express Yourself) If that isn't messy...Their different strategies did nothing for the singles and albums anywhere. That strategy was so bad that when came the Girlie Show tour she had no single on the radio (Bye Bye Baby was an obscure 12"/cd single german release only available in Europe and not played on the radio either) or new video on MTV to promote it. 

It got even worse with Bedtime Stories singles after Secret. Human Nature really took the cake.

1 hour ago, Roland Barthes said:

Yeah i mixed up with Rain because i bought the french K7 single for the Fever edit two 

https://www.discogs.com/fr/release/1989696-Madonna-Rain

It was a messy strategy because the videos were released way ahead the different singles were available in every territory so when they were finally released they felt already "old". I was there, i remember very vividly that time, thank you very much :)  

The Fever video was supposed to promote what ? That version was neither on the album nor on the Bad Girl / Fever or Fever UK maxis (something that already happened with Express Yourself) If that isn't messy...Their different strategies did nothing for the singles and albums anywhere. That strategy was so bad that when came the Girlie Show tour she had no single on the radio (Bye Bye Baby was an obscure 12"/cd single german release only available in Europe and not played on the radio either) or new video on MTV to promote it. 

It got even worse with Bedtime Stories singles after Secret. Human Nature really took the cake.

What might seem messy to you as a fan may make perfect sense if you’re a marketing executive involved in the campaign. There’s no way to tell how successful it was. Since it’s possible what you consider a less messy one could have had lower sales.

As for Fever it makes perfect sense to me. Bad Girl and Rain had no potential for great dance mixes and Fever had a ton of them. So they spread them out throughout all three single to beef up the content

17 minutes ago, thegoldencalf said:

What might seem messy to you as a fan may make perfect sense if you’re a marketing executive involved in the campaign. There’s no way to tell how successful it was. Since it’s possible what you consider a less messy one could have had lower sales.

As for Fever it makes perfect sense to me. Bad Girl and Rain had no potential for great dance mixes and Fever had a ton of them. So they spread them out throughout all three single to beef up the content

I wonder how they could have had lower sales than with the way they handled Rain and Fever around the world...

And in France for instance, regarding the Erotica album, by december 1992 they had the american cd longbox for sale in supermarket chains instead of the european pressing, i've always wondered why. Did Warner America expected a huge smash and made too many cds and had to ship them to Europe to sale their stock ?

Fever and Rain had no impact anywhere, not because they were bad choices and bad videos, they are very good indeed, it's just how they were handled. Rain was not on the radio in Europe, we were aware of it because of the video on MTV but when the single dropped it was that remix no radio played so o one knew it. What i call messy is promoting a mix and selling another one. We bought them as fans but the GP could not keep up. I don't think marketing only targets fans (otherwise they would have made the Fever special DJ mixes available commercially).

AND when the Girlie Show hit London they promoted Bye Bye Baby on MTV using the VMA performance, another mix that was not available. It nonetheless managed to chart in Italy without having been released there (it charted thanks to the german pressing). Meaning there was a demand for it but Warner did not bother.

• Jackie changed the title to Single Reissues Campaign - Angel - OUT NOW