Single Reissues Campaign - I'll Remember + vinyl mixes - OUT NOW

New_Boy

32 minutes ago, Jet said:

Fever edit one or two was available in the uk with the single release but bizarrely only as the b side on the cassette single! It wasn’t included on the cd or 12” or 7” picture disc. A bit like how “has to be” was only on the ray of light cassette single and nowhere else.

"Has To Be" was included on the Japanese edition of the album ROL, and was the b-side on the two track cd-single in Europe and USA.

Rain is the most streamed track on the Erotica album (on Spotify, album + album edits combined), and at the time was the only video that crossed over to the GP beyond her fanbase, so whatever you think of the remix, the strategy or lack of, it worked for them in wrapping up the album campaign after a very rocky start.

37 minutes ago, Roland Barthes said:

Fever and Rain had no impact anywhere, not because they were bad choices and bad videos, they are very good indeed, it's just how they were handled. Rain was not on the radio in Europe, we were aware of it because of the video on MTV but when the single dropped it was that remix no radio played so o one knew it. What i call messy is promoting a mix and selling another one. 

2 hours ago, Roland Barthes said:

It got even worse with Bedtime Stories singles after Secret. Human Nature really took the cake.

Mid 90s was the beginning of peak CD era, labels had local strategies and unlimited budgets. Radio and TV airplay were 2 different timelines, and maxi singles were released as long as remixes kept coming. Remember the independent dance and house labels kept putting out the same track over and over, with more and more remixes each time.

33 minutes ago, Bjonkers said:

Rain is the most streamed track on the Erotica album (on Spotify, album + album edits combined), and at the time was the only video that crossed over to the GP beyond her fanbase, so whatever you think of the remix, the strategy or lack of, it worked for them in wrapping up the album campaign after a very rocky start.

Erotica as the lead single got some serious attention but it wasn't aired for long. As much as D&D is a fan favourite (not me btw, save for the Morales versions), it was not very popular either but the video was on heavy rotation on the music TV channels for months. I don't remember Rain being played a lot either on the radio, but the video was quite successful, with a more accessible look and staying power.

39 minutes ago, Bjonkers said:

Yep, Rain is the most streamed song on Erotica because the video (an edit of the album version) made it popular NOT the single version. That album/video mix was not available as a single because all single versions of Rain had the radio remix and if you liked Fever because of the video you could not even get that mix until it was released on mainland Europe on the cd singles of Rain or K7 single. 

WHAT I MEAN IS Fever Edit One should have been released on the UK Fever single and the Rain video version or album version on the Uk cd single because those were the most popular versions since they were the ones being promoted via videos which were the only media promoting Madonna since radios were not touching these.

52 minutes ago, PlayPause said:

Mid 90s was the beginning of peak CD era, labels had local strategies and unlimited budgets. Radio and TV airplay were 2 different timelines, and maxi singles were released as long as remixes kept coming. Remember the independent dance and house labels kept putting out the same track over and over, with more and more remixes each time.

But Human Nature was released like 3 or 4 months after the video was on heavy rotation (again the sole media still promoting Madonna at the time). And it's something Warner always did, another one was Nothing Really Matters, they killed that track by releasing the remixes too late after the video 'and grammies aired, Beautiful Stranger came out just a few weeks after the NRM remixes were released (but BS was not even a single in the US, a sure #1 they denied Madonna with that strategy)

And i still don't understand why it was that complicated to slap the Express Yourself Pettibone single remix on the b-side of Oh Father for example since it was not available and, again, the most popular version. 

(and that Rain Uk cover becoming 9 months later the US I'll Remember cover)

1 minute ago, Roland Barthes said:

But Human Nature was released like 3 or 4 months after the video was on heavy rotation (again the sole media still promoting Madonna at the time). And it's something Warner always did, another one was Nothing Really Matters, they killed that track by releasing the remixes too late after the video 'and grammies) aired, Beautiful Stranger came out just a few weeks after the NRM remixes were released.

I still don't understand why it was that complicated to slap the Express Yourself Pettibone single remix on the b-side of Oh Father for example since it was not available and, again, the most popular version. 

(and that Rain Uk cover becoming 9 months later the US I'll Remember cover)

oh yes that NRM debacle - peaked on Radio - then weeks later they released the single - made no sense!

Had no idea about HN - what a mess! What were Warner thinking? Unless the idea was to get people to buy the album not the single - so if you wanted HN you had to buy the album - that's smart - 

Just now, Jackie said:

Had no idea about HN - what a mess! What were Warner thinking? Unless the idea was to get people to buy the album not the single - so if you wanted HN you had to buy the album - that's smart - 

HN came out in so many formats in France, it was hard to keep up with it. CD single, red and silver maxi with different lead versions, I had to count my money...

10 hours ago, RUADJAI said:

Up Down Suite sounds like it got the Mike Dean treatment. 👀 That kick drum hittin suspiciously hard. 

Really not sure about that. I'd rather think they use a "made for streaming" loudness setting, some parts sound a bit wobblier and more compressed than the CD version that a manual remaster wouldn't probably have. Most of the reverb on the vocal ad libs is lost.

2 hours ago, Jet said:

Fever edit one or two was available in the uk with the single release but bizarrely only as the b side on the cassette single! It wasn’t included on the cd or 12” or 7” picture disc.

I don't think we got Edit One or Two at all did we? The cassette had the radio edit remix as the b-side, same as the 7"

15 hours ago, Aiwa08 said:

"Express Yourself", "Fever", "What It Feels Like for a Girl" and "Celebration" have the same problem: the radio played a version similar to the "Album Version", and the TV played a video using a remix as audio. So for many non-fan people, the original version is the remix (thanks to the video). And they love these versions.

and confuses the H out of me as a youngling

5 hours ago, Drum Dub said:

Yep, the thing is that Abraham was called to remix Rain, Fever and Bye Bye, after the UK Fever single was released.

Yep, a mess, releasing the video with a mix that was not commercially available. It was not promo for the album and not for the maxi singles.

As for Up Down Suite Dub, it's not the Dean treatment, anything from the Erotica era including the album has incredible heavy bass reveal with any remastering you try (which is great) same with Like A Prayer, the original mastering is very "protestant" compared to remasters that give it more colours. 

10 hours ago, Roland Barthes said:

Yeah i mixed up with Rain because i bought the french K7 single for the Fever edit two 

https://www.discogs.com/fr/release/1989696-Madonna-Rain

It was a messy strategy because the videos were released way ahead the different singles were available in every territory so when they were finally released they felt already "old". I was there, i remember very vividly that time, thank you very much :)  

The Fever video was supposed to promote what ? That version was neither on the album nor on the Bad Girl / Fever or Fever UK maxis (something that already happened with Express Yourself) If that isn't messy...Their different strategies did nothing for the singles and albums anywhere. That strategy was so bad that when came the Girlie Show tour she had no single on the radio (Bye Bye Baby was an obscure 12"/cd single german release only available in Europe and not played on the radio either) or new video on MTV to promote it. 

It got even worse with Bedtime Stories singles after Secret. Human Nature really took the cake.

I was there too :) here's the actual facts

Bad Girl - single release February 2, 1993, music video premiere February 11, 1993

Fever -  single release - March 26, 1993 music video premiere May 11, 1993 - MTV UK used a compilation of clips, Madonna decided to film a music video for the clubs and MTV USA.

Rain - music video premiere June 21, 1993 -  single release July 19, 1993 - the music video was released early to promo The Girlie Show Tour announcement 

Re: Bye Bye Baby - Rain was the current single when the tour was in UK / Europe - BBB was actually created primarily for the Australian and Japan markets to coincide with the November / December tour dates - Germany pressed the single likely because it was available 

And re Express Yourself - the singles had been finalised when Madonna decided to use Shep's mix over the music video so it was a case of a last minute change - yes they could have issued that version later however given it as such a big hit, they didn't need to

I think it's just your perception that it was messy.

• Jackie changed the title to Single Reissues Campaign - I'll Remember + vinyl mixes - OUT NOW