Single Reissues Campaign - I'll Remember + vinyl mixes - OUT NOW

New_Boy

ITG is obviously SO good and deserved a studio album home but it still feels unnatural on the album to me. 

Maybe it would've been better placed somewhere else or as the closer? I do understand why they'd decide to put it before DYU though

I admittedly grew up with the Spotify tracklist as the only one I knew though 

Edited by Openyourheart (see edit history)

31 minutes ago, Openyourheart said:

ITG is obviously SO good and deserved a studio album home but it still feels unnatural on the album to me. 

Maybe it would've been better placed somewhere else or as the closer? I do understand why they'd decide to put it before DYU though

I admittedly grew up with the Spotify tracklist as the only one I knew though 

As a bonus track on the reissue with Gambler and Crazy for You would have been okay. It is not part of that album though.

1 minute ago, Blue Jean said:

As a bonus track on the reissue with Gambler and Crazy for You would have been okay. It is not part of that album though.

I agree, CFY also wouldn't have fit very well but still felt like it deserved an album release. Gambler out of the 3 would've actually fit the best I think but could've been construed as filler potentially in a different universe 

The Like A Virgin album in the UK was far from the runaway success we may think it was. Aside from a couple of weeks at #10 when Material Girl was charting, it really didn't bother the top ten at all until Into The Groove dominated the summer. A quick re-release in Sept 1985 saw the album hit the #1 spot and stay in the top ten for the rest of the year.

A perfectly executed marketing strategy I would say that would giver her first #1 album and set her up nicely for the release of True Blue the following year.

645741980_Screenshot2023-02-19at13_46_24.thumb.png.f8de771426d32559ee7be2058679d4a5.png

Screenshot 2023-02-19 at 13.48.45.png

Like A Virgin, Material Girl, Borderline and Holiday really did the leg work for the Madonna brand but it was Into The Groove and Crazy For You that took it from Madonna fans to Madonna mania. 

The move to silver screen ( very cleverly preempted in the Material Girl video) set the stage for a global Icon. They changed the movie name to her song (Crazy For You) and i’d probably argue that it was the video clip for Groove and Desperately Seeking Susan that defined her look so succinctly that gave birth the the “Wannabe” to the point Macy’s felt it was financially viable to launch Madonnaland. 

Quite simply Into The Groove was the song that made

”that girl in the wedding dress”

COOL! 

I think it remains her coolest song.
It’s as effortless as putting on a pair of black diamond studded pixie boots and Bolero jacket with a pyramid on the back and eating Cheetos in your bra and shades.

9 minutes ago, steady75 said:

I think it remains her coolest song.
It’s as effortless as putting on a pair of black diamond studded pixie boots and Bolero jacket with a pyramid on the back and eating Cheetos in your bra and shades.

I agree with all of your points but it's ironic you think it's her coolest song (agree) while M herself called it 'dorky'

On 2/17/2023 at 2:02 PM, Prayer said:

It's not correct :cute: Sadly, all three of them are the 2021 remaster now on digital.

The Reissue/2001 Remaster was available before 2021, of course, and it was indeed the correct 2001 Remaster. But when "True Blue 35th" was released in 2021, the 9 regular album tracks and the 2 bonus tracks on the Reissue/2001 Version were updated with the "True Blue 35th" remasters.

This week they've updated "Madonna", as we know, with the correct 2001 remasters (except "Holiday"). Well, previously "Lucky Star", "I Know It", "Physical Attraction", "Everybody" and "Burning Up (12'' Version)" there were all the original masters. Now all those versions are lost forever on streaming and it's a shame.

I don't mind remasters but I think they should keep the old versions too, definitely.

I see. Good thing to have the physical copies! I wonder why did they replace Holiday on digital. It should be the original full-length version, not a shortened version of the IC mix. And Borderline is still mislabelled.

1 hour ago, Openyourheart said:

I agree with all of your points but it's ironic you think it's her coolest song (agree) while M herself called it 'dorky'

I know right

This is from the woman who uttered the words

"come on into my store, i got candy galore"

and performed it on three world tours.

The woman is no longer the arbiter of what is cool. 

Susan however knew.

1 hour ago, Arckangel said:

I see. Good thing to have the physical copies! I wonder why did they replace Holiday on digital. It should be the original full-length version, not a shortened version of the IC mix. And Borderline is still mislabelled.

I think the issue with "Holiday" is the shortened IC edit on the "Madonna" digital reissue has millions of streams (81M already), it is actually the most streamed version, versus the full album version, only available on "Celebration", with 69M. And they don't want to waste that.

I guess they need to merge both before replacing the proper version on "Madonna" (they did that last year with "Papa Don't Preach", they merged the previously available Extended on "True Blue" with the proper album version available on "Celebration"). Or maybe they'll just leave it that way, we'll see.

Both versions of "Holiday" combined would be 150M and one of her biggest hits on Spotify that way. 158M if they combine the "Immaculate Collection" version too.

1 hour ago, Prayer said:

I think the issue with "Holiday" is the shortened IC edit on the "Madonna" digital reissue has millions of streams (81M already), it is actually the most streamed version, versus the full album version, only available on "Celebration", with 69M. And they don't want to waste that.

I guess they need to merge both before replacing the proper version on "Madonna" (they did that last year with "Papa Don't Preach", they merged the previously available Extended on "True Blue" with the proper album version available on "Celebration"). Or maybe they'll just leave it that way, we'll see.

Both versions of "Holiday" combined would be 150M and one of her biggest hits on Spotify that way. 158M if the combine the "Immaculate Collection" version too.

Yeah I see no reason why pretty standard versions (album and single edits) aren't merged it makes no sense at all to me. 

1 hour ago, steady75 said:

I know right

This is from the woman who uttered the words

"come on into my store, i got candy galore"

and performed it on three world tours.

The woman is no longer the arbiter of what is cool. 

Susan however knew.

What does this comment mean?

2 hours ago, Would You Like To Try said:

What does this comment mean?

It means that Madonna's taste in her own music and what's dorky or cool nowadays is debatably tasteless. The fact she criticised Into the Grove but absolutely loves Candy Shop goes against general fan consensus of the two songs

21 minutes ago, Openyourheart said:

It means that Madonna's taste in her own music and what's dorky or cool nowadays is debatably tasteless. The fact she criticised Into the Grove but absolutely loves Candy Shop goes against general fan consensus of the two songs

I think you have to keep in mind the context of her saying that about Into the Groove.  She wasn't saying it as a dig to the song.  During an interview with Time, Madonna said that she wrote the song while watching a Latin boy across her balcony. Calling the song 'dorky', The freedom that I always feel when I'm dancing, that feeling of inhabiting your body, letting yourself go, expressing yourself through music. I always thought of it as a magical place – even if you're not taking ecstasy. Hence that came to me as the primary inspiration for 'Into the Groove'."

The "dorky" was meant for how she was inspired by the song, rather calling the song "dorky". 

As for Candy Shop, it's evident she wanted it to be the first single.  It's easy for us to sit back and laugh at the silliness of her thinking that should be a hit song for her, but I'm sure there is deeper meaning for why she likes the song very much.  Also, Madonna had come to a point in her career, that it was harder and harder for her to gain another classic hit single.  From this point forward, it would be up to her to decide which songs were going to become new staple songs for her.  I felt she sorta did that with "Human Nature".  While that was a single, but it wasn't a huge hit for her, but she treated it as one and performed it numerous times, making it a staple song in her catalog.  The third time was the charm with Candy Shop when she performed it on RHT.  I wasn't a big fan of the song, but it was quite the jam on RHT. 

22 minutes ago, tscott said:

I think you have to keep in mind the context of her saying that about Into the Groove.  She wasn't saying it as a dig to the song.  During an interview with Time, Madonna said that she wrote the song while watching a Latin boy across her balcony. Calling the song 'dorky', The freedom that I always feel when I'm dancing, that feeling of inhabiting your body, letting yourself go, expressing yourself through music. I always thought of it as a magical place – even if you're not taking ecstasy. Hence that came to me as the primary inspiration for 'Into the Groove'."

The "dorky" was meant for how she was inspired by the song, rather calling the song "dorky". 

As for Candy Shop, it's evident she wanted it to be the first single.  It's easy for us to sit back and laugh at the silliness of her thinking that should be a hit song for her, but I'm sure there is deeper meaning for why she likes the song very much.  Also, Madonna had come to a point in her career, that it was harder and harder for her to gain another classic hit single.  From this point forward, it would be up to her to decide which songs were going to become new staple songs for her.  I felt she sorta did that with "Human Nature".  While that was a single, but it wasn't a huge hit for her, but she treated it as one and performed it numerous times, making it a staple song in her catalog.  The third time was the charm with Candy Shop when she performed it on RHT.  I wasn't a big fan of the song, but it was quite the jam on RHT. 

"'Into the Groove' is another song I feel retarded singing, but everybody seems to like it."

-Madonna, Rollingstone, 2009

12 hours ago, Bjonkers said:

The Like A Virgin album in the UK was far from the runaway success we may think it was. Aside from a couple of weeks at #10 when Material Girl was charting, it really didn't bother the top ten at all until Into The Groove dominated the summer. A quick re-release in Sept 1985 saw the album hit the #1 spot and stay in the top ten for the rest of the year.

A perfectly executed marketing strategy I would say that would giver her first #1 album and set her up nicely for the release of True Blue the following year.

645741980_Screenshot2023-02-19at13_46_24.thumb.png.f8de771426d32559ee7be2058679d4a5.png

Screenshot 2023-02-19 at 13.48.45.png

Yes the UK was relatively late to the 'Madonna mania ' party in 1985 - by the time it hit M had finished her tour and was recording True Blue 

Warner UK did a great job with all the singles with bonus posters, 7" shaped picture discs - the UK did it best in the 80s - 90s for the special stuff :) 

10 hours ago, Openyourheart said:

How many years ago was it since she said that? 15?

Sometimes fans hang too much on things she said a lifetime ago. She also said many times she hated Material Girl and Like a Virgin and didn’t want to perform them ever again. Yet she has numerous times since saying so.

9 hours ago, deathproof said:

"'Into the Groove' is another song I feel retarded singing, but everybody seems to like it."

-Madonna, Rollingstone, 2009

Well it WAS dorky when she changed the lyrics to:

Get into the groove

Let me show you some moves

Best to take it from me

• Jackie changed the title to Single Reissues Campaign - I'll Remember + vinyl mixes - OUT NOW