Single Reissues Campaign - I'll Remember + vinyl mixes - OUT NOW

New_Boy

3 hours ago, Aiwa08 said:

I hate to name Burning Up 4:48  "ALTERNATE VERSION". For many fans is the real album version. :sad:

I got the debut and Like A Virgin LP's for Christmas 1984. 

The 4:48 version is the only version I knew of for years. It wasn't until we got cable TV in 1990 that I got MuchMusic here in Canada and saw the video with a different version in which I never knew existed. Then I bought myself the debut CD  later that year and was surprised to hear this "new" version on it. 

Then a couple years later I bought an international CD single of Burning Up and heard yet another "new" version lol. 

I was so confused but naturally over the years learned how and why it happened. 

I'm sure everyone might have a similar/comparable story. 

9 minutes ago, jtrover said:

I got the debut and Like A Virgin LP's for Christmas 1984. 

The 4:48 version is the only version I knew of for years. It wasn't until we got cable TV in 1990 that I got MuchMusic here in Canada and saw the video with a different version in which I never knew existed. Then I bought myself the debut CD  later that year and was surprised to hear this "new" version on it. 

Then a couple years later I bought an international CD single of Burning Up and heard yet another "new" version lol. 

I was so confused but naturally over the years learned how and why it happened. 

I'm sure everyone might have a similar/comparable story. 

So... it's the original album version, the video version and the 7" version you heard?

6 minutes ago, jtrover said:

First it was the original LP 4:48 version, then I heard the video version (revised album version), then the 12" version. Many years later I download the Japanese singles boxed set and then heard the 7" version. 

And of course all the various demos online in between. 

It's kinda confusing because for many fans, they didn't know it existed or never heard the Original LP version until the 1985 issue of what is called "The First album".  I always had thought the 3 minute version was the original being the video was the same.  But it turns out the 1rst pressings in certain countries had the 4:48 version.

I prefer the shorter version that went with the video.  It's far more punchier and not as clunky.  Madonna didn't like the original version, so that is why it was replaced.  It's just odd that they used it for the 1985 issue of "The First album". 

55 minutes ago, Fabiolous said:

Wait, what's the difference between the album version and the video version?

this is the video one:

this is the original one that was on the first vinyl pressing (but was later replaced by the one above) and as a B-side on the Angel single:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lg6mJ90hZo0

3 hours ago, jtrover said:

First it was the original LP 4:48 version, then I heard the video version (revised album version), then the 12" version. Many years later I download the Japanese singles boxed set and then heard the 7" version. 

And of course all the various demos online thereafter... 

Yeah... she's all over the place like the Everybody versions and demos.

15 minutes ago, Aiwa08 said:

It's easy to understand. We don't have your (subjective) taste in music. We are all different.

Fever Edit One is a masterpiece. However, the story with the 4:48 version of Burning Up is different. Many of us grew up with that version on the first album and we love it. Yes, it may be the worst version, but we want to have the same version we enjoyed decades ago from a digital source. 

I do wonder the story behind the change of BU from the original version to the video version...

18 minutes ago, Roy said:

I do wonder the story behind the change of BU from the original version to the video version...

She was simply not that happy with the Reggie Lucas versions so she kept tuning some of the songs after Lucas' work was done. That's where Jellybean entered the scene and remixed some of them: "Lucky Star", "Burning Up" and "PA". And he remixed "Borderline" for the single release but it wasn't updated on the album.

That said, I'm always confused about the production on the "Burning Up" versions... is this correct?

- Original 12'' Version and 7'' Edit: Reggie Lucas

- Original Alternative Album Version: Reggie Lucas / Remixed by Jellybean?

- Video Version: Reggie Lucas / Remixed by Jellybean?

24 minutes ago, Roy said:

I don't know. The change was made for the first CD edition. But on vinyl (at least in Europe) the change was made almost two decades later. It was an obscure era for me because I wasn't fan (I started to be a collector in 1989 with Express Yourself 12''). Even classic fans have different opinions about the story behind the change of Burning Up.

2 hours ago, wtg1987 said:

never understood why fans love the 4.48 version of BU - its like the fever edit one - everyone seems to go mental over it - personally i think its awful and she probably doesnt like it - hence why its not really available..

I think it all comes down to what our memories of the first time we heard Burning Up are, and which version we heard first. Of course, the video version is more common now and our ears must have got used to hearing that one cause it's practically everywhere, but to me, the alternative album version is the best cause it was featured on the First Album cassette that I had bought way back then and played over and over until the 2001 reissue came along. The alt album version is edgier, and somehow more dear to me. I hope it'll get released either as part of Madonna 40 or the Angel single.

32 minutes ago, kesiak said:

To me it's always been about the remixed version - the 7" Remix Edit is the one for me so I'm delighted to have it on streaming services. While I appreciate the original album version (4:48) I find it quite anaemic in comparison to others. 

I've been doing a little bit of research!

It's not really remixed, the original 12'' version - and the 7'' edit - it's the original version by Reggie Lucas, first released as a single:

LTg1MDkuanBlZw.jpeg

LmpwZWc.jpeg

Then Jellybean remixed it for the Original LP Version and then the video version and standard version now everywhere.

My fave is the original 5:56 Reggie Lucas 12'' Mix too. It's fire.

24 minutes ago, Prayer said:

It's not really remixed, the original 12'' version - and the 7'' edit - it's the original version by Reggie Lucas, first released as a single.

Yes, the 12'' version and the 7'' version are the best. I prefer the 7'' because it was my first contact with Madonna.

2 hours ago, Prayer said:

She was simply not that happy with the Reggie Lucas versions so she kept tuning some of the songs after Lucas' work was done. That's where Jellybean entered the scene and remixed some of them: "Lucky Star", "Burning Up" and "PA". And he remixed "Borderline" for the single release but it wasn't updated on the album.

That said, I'm always confused about the production on the "Burning Up" versions... is this correct?

- Original 12'' Version and 7'' Edit: Reggie Lucas

- Original Alternative Album Version: Reggie Lucas / Remixed by Jellybean?

- Video Version: Reggie Lucas / Remixed by Jellybean?

He remixed BU and PA so well. LS? A choice...

52 minutes ago, Prayer said:

It's not really remixed, the original 12'' version - and the 7'' edit - it's the original version by Reggie Lucas, first released as a single:

LTg1MDkuanBlZw.jpeg

LmpwZWc.jpeg

Then Jellybean remixed it for the Original LP Version and then the video version and standard version now everywhere.

It’s interesting how there’s a bit of revisionist history going on with this and Everybody. When was the first time the original versions were first referred to as the 12” Mix?

17 minutes ago, deathproof said:

It’s interesting how there’s a bit of revisionist history going on with this and Everybody. When was the first time the original versions were first referred to as the 12” Mix?

"Burning Up" was tagged as "12'' Version" on the 2001 reissue, which is correct:

LTg1NTkuanBlZw.jpeg

But now it's tagged as "12'' Mix" on the digital EP.

"Everybody" gets more confusing, the original 6-minute version replaced the official Album edit on "Madonna" since 2001.

1 hour ago, Prayer said:

"Burning Up" was tagged as "12'' Version" on the 2001 reissue, which is correct:

LTg1NTkuanBlZw.jpeg

But now it's tagged as "12'' Mix" on the digital EP.

"Everybody" gets more confusing, the original 6-minute version replaced the official Album edit on "Madonna" since 2001.

So the 6-minute edit is not the original, right? The original album version is the 4:57

2 minutes ago, Fabiolous said:

So the 6-minute edit is not the original, right? The original album version is the 4:57

It's the same as with "Burning Up". The 6-minute versiones are indeed the original versions released as singles before the album. For the album, "Burning Up" was changed and remixed by Jellybean (first as the original LP version and then replaced by the video version) and "Everybody" was edited to a shorter version, the 4:57 one.

1 minute ago, Prayer said:

It's the same as with "Burning Up". The 6-minute versiones are indeed the original versions released as singles before the album. For the album, "Burning Up" was changed and remixed by Jellybean (first as the original LP version and then replaced by the video version) and "Everybody" was edited to a shorter version, the 4:57 one.

So the 4.57 is the original album version and 6.02 is the single version that came out in 1982? 

2 minutes ago, Fabiolous said:

So the 4.57 is the original album version and 6.02 is the single version that came out in 1982? 

Exactly. But the 6-minute single version replaced the 4:57 version as the Album Version in 2001 with the album remaster... And now it's the Album Version.

It's all a bit messy.

• Jackie changed the title to Single Reissues Campaign - I'll Remember + vinyl mixes - OUT NOW